Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any starwood gold referals available?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2002, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I called the Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum Concierge Desk this morning (Chamorro Standard Time).

I started by giving my current account number and explaining my situation to the person who answered the phone, including never having stayed at a Starwood property, my willingness to do so for 5 stays instead of Hilton, the "PGG" source code, and that I had a new Gold number and Platinum referral number. She said I could be a Gold through "marriage" of accounts. It sounded from the way she said it like this was a fairly routine process.

On the other hand, when I asked if there were any way to keep the old number, she said she would contact a supervisor. Thereafter, the supervisor said I could not become Gold any other way than ten stays.

Sounds like Starwood does not want my business so much after all. Fortunately for me, there are Hilton alternatives in my primary travel destinations (GUM, TYO, SFO, WAS).
Old Sep 17, 2002, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I AM looking for a *wood GOLD referal!

Pls e-mail.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
I have 4 Gold referrals left and will give them to anyone who will seriously do the 5 stays (you get 5,000 bonus points). As an incentive, when you complete your 5 stays, I'll be happy to mail you your choice of a 50% off SPG50 certificate or a President's Club pass for 2 people with no expiration.

Email me if interested.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 7:44 am

Do all of these gold referrals expire in October? I may be able to get 5 in by October but definitely can in November. Plz email me and I'll set you up with 5000 points.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Honesty is the best policy.</font>
Using the "call back again" technique the next day, I got partially what I wanted.

As before, I explained my situation honestly (as I always do), this time being sure to take notes (as I try do if there is a chance of misinterpretation or if the stakes are high).

This SPG Platinum Concierge Desk employee (Carolyn) was more knowledgeable than yesterday's. She didn't need to go to a supervisor, but also didn't offer to let me combine two accounts.

She explained that this promotion was only for "new" members, and the fact that I had an account with zero Starwood stays didn't qualify me as being "new" (in her interpretation).

What she did do, "as a goodwill gesture," was to immediately convert my account to Gold.

So the bottom line is that I lose out on the 5000 Starpoints from the promotion, as does the generous Platinum who offered to refer me.

On the other hand, I will get the 50% bonus (3 Starpoints per dollar for each stay instead of two).

That is not enough for me to cancel all my reservations at Hilton booked on my Hilton AmEx card (which I would have done to get the 5000 Starpoints). But it is enough to get me to make a few Starwood reservations I might not have otherwise made, both on this trip and next year, when I might be able to get the ten stays if I try very hard.

They "split the baby." Win some, lose some.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 5:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by emaij:
Do all of these gold referrals expire in October? I may be able to get 5 in by October but definitely can in November. Plz email me and I'll set you up with 5000 points.</font>
YGM
Old Sep 18, 2002, 6:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:
If you are not an SPG member, just e-mail one of the members who posted that they had special invitation cards to give (including myself), and we'll forward you all the information needed for you to call SPG and obtain an instant Gold SPG membership. If you stay 5 times before October 31, both you and I would receive additional 5,000 point bonus.</font>
I've got a couple more Gold referral cards from Starwood, so if someone still needs them, let me know.
Old Sep 19, 2002, 3:24 pm

Programs: HH diamond, Hyatt diamond, *wood plat, Delta Diamond 4th yr, SWA A List
If you are seeking a complimentary gold card, I have three left. Send me an email and I will provide the last three to the first three.

------------------
oops, forgot email address
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by VFF1000000 (edited 09-19-2002).]
Old Sep 23, 2002, 2:27 pm

Programs: HH Gold, DL Silver, NW Silver
Does anyone still have *wood gold referral? Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 4:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, lowly UA Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by travellot:
Does anyone still have *wood gold referral? Thanks.</font>

YGM
Old Sep 23, 2002, 5:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
If you need a referral and are hopefully planning on five stays by the end of October, please let me know.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 12:19 am

Programs: AA, HH, Mariott, SPG - Now if only I was travelling more...
If anyone has any referrals left, I could use one. I've got three stays booked before November and could probably swing two more.

Cheers

Mike
Old Sep 24, 2002, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Dia, Marriott S
buddyboy, you have mail
Old Sep 24, 2002, 1:27 pm

Programs: lots
i'd like gold status... I can probably swing 4-5 stays before nov. 15th.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 2:16 pm

pitsheel,

YGM!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.