FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   How Is SPG Amex Business Card Access to Sheraton Lounges Fulfilled at the Hotels? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1711959-how-spg-amex-business-card-access-sheraton-lounges-fulfilled-hotels.html)

jetsetter Sep 23, 2015 12:14 pm

How Is SPG Amex Business Card Access to Sheraton Lounges Fulfilled at the Hotels?

So I just got the SPG business Amex. When I stay at a Sheraton, what is the mechanism behind the scenes in their IT or internal processes that gives me access to the club lounge. For example:
1. Do I show the plastic card, and that is what triggers the check in agent to encode my key for club lounge?
or
2. Is there an electronic designation or flag that gets set on the SPG account, so when you check in, the agent sees that you are an Amex business cardholder, and have access to the lounge? How or where does this appear on the computer systems that are used at Sheraton?

If its #2, how long does it take after you get the card for this to be reflected in the system?

I called SPG about this, and they had no idea, none! They told me to call Amex, yeah right, like an Amex credit card rep is going to know the procedure for how a front desk agent at a Sheraton is going to handle access to a club lounge!

Anyone know the inside scoop on how exactly this benefit is fulfilled?

howtofreetravel Sep 24, 2015 1:25 am

It will work as long as you are no the first spg business user they have seen...

thehustla Sep 30, 2015 8:51 am

SPG Biz Benefit - Sheraton Lounge Club

Has anyone used this benefit yet?

If so, does the lounge check if you're a registered guest or not?

Please share your experience.

Johnny Rocket Sep 30, 2015 11:28 am

I tried this with a friend at the Sheraton Toronto Airport.

Although I am platinum, we stayed under my friends account because they needed to rack up a few stays.

They have the SPG Business card.

What followed was a frustrating and awkward exchange as they literally had to 'beg' for lounge access and to be placed into a Club Room.

It didn't seem to make the damnedest bit of difference that they had the SPG Business card.

The front desk agent proceeded to tell us how some Amex cards give SPG Status. I presume he was referring to things like Amex Platinum... but as far as he was aware, he knew of nothing that would give me access to the club lounge or to a better room using the SPG Amex Business card.

We went around and around in circles for almost 5 to 7 minutes.

It was exhausting and irritating and frustrating.

In the end, he went in the back and said the manager had 'agreed' to upgrade us. But then it just started another cycle where I said they was simply getting the room they were entitled to.

MSPeconomist Sep 30, 2015 11:59 am

Isn't the benefit access to the lounge rather than entitlement to a club level room? These can be very different privileges, depending of course on the particular hotel.

Did either of you have any written documentation of the Sheraton lounge access benefit? Did you try to contact SPG or AmEx during the discussion with the hotel?

Johnny Rocket Sep 30, 2015 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25499421)
Isn't the benefit access to the lounge rather than entitlement to a club level room? These can be very different privileges, depending of course on the particular hotel.

Indeed, the benefit is Complimentary access to the Sheraton Club lounge, but at most Sheraton's you're given a Club Room in order to access the Club lounge.

lorribarnes Sep 30, 2015 4:09 pm

I have stayed at 3 different Sheratons since I have gotten the SPG AMX Bussiness card. Not once did they know what I was talking about for lounge access. They did give lounge access after discussing this benefit with them.

CodeAdam10 Sep 30, 2015 4:15 pm

I had to get the SPG Twitter team involved to get lounge benefit during my only Sheraton stay thus far (since the inception of this benefit)

It really is a frustrating experience. Judging from the other comments above, it seems like Starwood has done a poor job with training the hotel personnel on this new benefit.

philemer Sep 30, 2015 9:25 pm

MIA Sheraton

I checked in at the MIA Sheraton a couple nights ago and asked for access to the Club Lounge (she had my new SPG Business card in her hand). The young lady said "that benefit is only for Gold & Platinum members." I replied that it is also a benefit for the SPG Business card holders. She gasped and then said "you are correct." She then reprogrammed my room key for Club access.

howtofreetravel Sep 30, 2015 11:06 pm

Just verify the benefit with the hotel via email and if you don't get the right response then forward it to customer care

Da5id Oct 4, 2015 1:47 am

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 25501842)
I checked in at the MIA Sheraton a couple nights ago and asked for access to the Club Lounge (she had my new SPG Business card in her hand). The young lady said "that benefit is only for Gold & Platinum members.".

As a long time Starwood Gold I have never got access to the Club Lounge which is why I usually stay at Marriotts now. They treat gold members better. Same with Hilton. In the past I stayed exclusively at Starwood but those days are over.

1mileman Oct 4, 2015 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Da5id (Post 25515250)
As a long time Starwood Gold I have never got access to the Club Lounge which is why I usually stay at Marriotts now. They treat gold members better. Same with Hilton. In the past I stayed exclusively at Starwood but those days are over.

That is because gold members are not entitled to club access. The only way to get club access is to book a club room, or have the spg biz card or upgrade with cash or by paying with points (usually 1,000 per day) to the club level With Marriott it's harder to obtain gold status than with spg hence Marriott gives golds club access. I am consistently amazed at how clueless some people are with their benefits sometimes. Granted, if 1 hotel gives you comp access to the club Lounge, one expects it going forward every time. If you review your benefits on spg.com, then one should know what to expect. If you get club access, don't expect it but when you do, it's being given as a courtesy and not as a rule.

bmrisko Oct 4, 2015 9:21 am

I've been met with blank stares at all properties I have inquired about this and shown my SPG business card. I've always been granted access but it usually adds time to the check in process as management has to get involved. Somewhat frustrating to say the least...

mahasamatman Oct 4, 2015 11:25 am

Originally Posted by 1mileman (Post 25516143)
I am consistently amazed at how clueless some people are with their benefits sometimes.

I don't think the OP was saying he should have access, but explaining why he values Marriott and Hilton over SPG.

1mileman Oct 4, 2015 11:46 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 25516586)
I don't think the OP was saying he should have access, but explaining why he values Marriott and Hilton over SPG.

I understand but he phrased it in a way suggesting he stays at marriotts due to the lounge access but if he is gold or higher with Marriott, that is a benefit for him and won't be denied it. He should know his benefits better knowing he isn't guaranteed nor entitled to lounge access at spg hotels with a club lounge.