Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Sheraton in Phoenix?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:00 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Which Sheraton in Phoenix?

Hey guys,

I'll be in PHX for a night soon, and have one of the free night at a Sheraton awards to use, so I thought I'd give one a crack. Any thoughts on which is best?

I'll only be there 24 hours, and would prefer to be right next to the airport - OR - near the shopping areas etc. Anyone have a view on which is best, or which they recommend?

(Using another award at Sheraton Waikiki too, but if anyone can confirm that this is way to go, over the Princess, I'd be grateful!)
Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by JK
Hey guys,

I'll be in PHX for a night soon, and have one of the free night at a Sheraton awards to use, so I thought I'd give one a crack. Any thoughts on which is best?

I'll only be there 24 hours, and would prefer to be right next to the airport - OR - near the shopping areas etc. Anyone have a view on which is best, or which they recommend?

(Using another award at Sheraton Waikiki too, but if anyone can confirm that this is way to go, over the Princess, I'd be grateful!)
Perhaps these will help
Best Starwood Hotel in Scottsdale/Phoenix
Best Phoenix Hotel

In addition there are master threads.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:20 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Perhaps these will help
Best Starwood Hotel in Scottsdale/Phoenix
Best Phoenix Hotel

In addition there are master threads.
Thank you. I did look through those, but the were largely very old comments, and more specifically, didn't focus on Sheraton's. I have no doubt that the best Starwood hotel in PHX is NOT a Sheraton, and hence not surprised to see them not really got mentioned... I was hoping someone might have more specific just on Sheraton's in the area.

My initial hunch is the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel. That said, I've only just seen the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa...
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
IMO the Westin Downtown is the single nicest non-resort Westin in the US

W Scottsdale is fun and is near all the interesting shopping & dining there
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:13 am
JK
Original Poster

Thank you! Any views specifically on Sheraton's there? Just don't want to waste those free night awards given they expire so soon!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I really like the property in Downtown Phoenix, it's fairly new and has some nice bars and restaurants. The only issue is, you're in Downtown Phoenix which is fairly dead at night and not all that exciting during the day either. Still, it's pretty close to the airport and anything you want to do Downtown would be walkable.

There's also a Sheraton Phoenix Airport/Tempe which is about the same location from PHX as the downtown hotel (the "airport" term is a bit of a misnomer in this case). It's an older property with an old Club Lounge but it has undergone recent renovations and there's free parking which is nice. You'll be pretty close to the good parts of Tempe but you will need a car to get to them.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JK
Thank you! Any views specifically on Sheraton's there? Just don't want to waste those free night awards given they expire so soon!
Sorry was oblivious to the Sheraton mention!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've stayed in the downtown Sheraton and it was fine, although I suspect that it's somewhat of a convention hotel. I had a large room and remember the lounge offerings as being pretty standard.

A further advantage is that it's close to the light rail line that goes near (IIRC not exactly directly TO) the airport.

The Sheraton Tempe/Airport might or might not provide an airport shuttle. Check whether the location is close to downtown Tempe, which is a rather pleasant student area with lots of activity at night when school is in session. IIRC the aloft is located there, but not the Sheraton.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Sheraton Tempe/Airport might or might not provide an airport shuttle. Check whether the location is close to downtown Tempe, which is a rather pleasant student area with lots of activity at night when school is in session. IIRC the aloft is located there, but not the Sheraton.
It's not really close at all. It's in a location that's on the Tempe/Phoenix border in what's basically no-man's land in the southwest of Tempe. You're correct about the Aloft and there's also a Four Points right next to ASU that's walking distance of downtown Tempe.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by JK
Hey guys,

Sheraton Waikiki - Yes, stay
Princess Kaiulani - No, avoid

Moana Surfrider and Royal Hawaiian also "yes", if you can do them.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by JK
Hey guys,

I've stayed at both the Sheraton Wild Horse and the Sheraton Crescent. Both are fine. If you are searching for a resort-style property, the Wild Horse is the best. It's certainly the more posh of the two and is located close to an outlet mall. OTOH, the Crescent may be a bit better located considering the WHP is out in Chandler; the Crescent is near Glendale.

Have fun,

Singlepoint
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:22 am
JK
Original Poster

Thank you all for the feedback! I'm going with Sheraton Waikiki and Sheraton Phoenix Downtown I think! (Although still tossing up between Wild Horse. It just looks a bit remote, where I'd rather be in an area I can walk around, find shops for kids gifts etc, and non-hotel food!)
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: WN A&cp, SPGplat
>>non-hotel food!

FWIW, Kai at the Sheraton Wild Horse is a foodie destination. It was really good when I was last there but there's a new chef (check about renovation issues too). It has resort feel. Sheraton downtown is convention feel.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Sheraton mesa at wrigleyville, has airport shuttle clean brand new hotel with lounge (very basic offerings but still) near large shopping area. Has a big sports bar inside as well as huge pool area.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by JK
Thank you all for the feedback! I'm going with Sheraton Waikiki and Sheraton Phoenix Downtown I think! (Although still tossing up between Wild Horse. It just looks a bit remote, where I'd rather be in an area I can walk around, find shops for kids gifts etc, and non-hotel food!)
If you like pizza, this is some of the best you'll ever have and it's an easy walk from the Sheraton:

http://www.pizzeriabianco.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.