Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best/Worst Four Points

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2002, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Best/Worst Four Points

This has been done with an exhaustive thread on the Hilton Honors board for people who stay at Hampton Inn properties. I thought fellow SPG-ers would share some info as a guide for those of us who can't always find a Westin/W/Sheraton near our destinations or for those who have smaller travel budgets.

Granted, there are very few Four Points properties I would seek out for a vacation, but for a decent business hotel when I would like to rack up stay credits, the Four Points is sometimes the answer.

Here are my ratings:

Best -- Not a great place, but the Four Points Country Club Plaza in Kansas City is inexpensive (try a $59 AAA rate on a weekday) and within walking distance of the Plaza and Westport. It also has a free parking garage. One FT-er reported here that he woke up to find a cockroach walking across his chest, but I have not seen any bugs during my two one-nighters there.

Worst -- The worst I have been in is the Four Points in Allentown, Pa. Musty old place with very few reasons (if any) to warrant a return visit. Of course, visiting Allentown is somewhat depressing in itself, so this hotel was another downer on a dull business trip. The bathroom I had there was especially horrible and dirty, so much that I should have complained to SPG customer care. Oh well.

I hope the new Four Points opening in Wichita this fall is a decent place.

Would anyone care to share?
Old Sep 5, 2002, 2:33 pm

Best - Four Points Washington DC - Downtown and Four Points LAX.

Worst - Four Points St. Louis West and Four Points Washington DC - Pentagon.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
My Four Points experience is (fortunately) limited enough that these certainly are the absolute best or worst of the lot, but anyway:

Best: Four Points Rancho Bernardo (San Diego)

Worst: Four Points Detroit Metro Airport - conversion property that was renovated, but still feels like a pretty tired hotel (and has frequent springtime ladybug infestations from my experience.)

[This message has been edited by snorkmaster (edited 09-05-2002).]
Old Sep 5, 2002, 3:35 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Best Darling Harbour in Sydney.
Worst Four Points by Sheraton Lakeside Orlando.

[This message has been edited by peter42 (edited 09-06-2002).]
Old Sep 5, 2002, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Best: Sydney and Santiago

Worst: I've never been in a really bad one.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Best: Munich Central
Old Sep 5, 2002, 7:53 pm

Four Points LAX...only one and not impressed. I was over charged...this was corrected and a $10 discount given. When I mentioned the room was comparable to Motel 6 they said I should have requested and upgrade, however I had arrived at 8 pm and did at the time ask for an upgrade.

On Government biz the rate at the Westin LAX is around $20 more, and for that I was given a two room suite with balcony...absolutly no comparison.

I think my 4 Pts LAX experiance will eliminate any consideration for brand again.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 9:54 pm

One of the best -

Four Points - Bakersfield, CA

Got an SPG room for 4000 points on 5 minutes notice with 2 queens. Nice room, nicely appointed, decent continental breakfast, and wonderfully helpful staff.

As a bonus for paying guests, all the properties owned by the owners of this hotel give an added 500points per stay!
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:17 pm

WORST -- HULL, QUEBEC CANADA. By far the worst. old ,outdated and muggy
Old Sep 6, 2002, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta, UA, SPG
Limited brand experience so I'll only vote for the best.

Best: Pittsburgh
Old Sep 6, 2002, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback so far.

My experience is limited as well, so I shouldn't call any Four Points a "best" or "worst." It's more like the best or worse I have seen among the 5 or 6 where I have stayed.

And certainly, most Four Points properties are not my first or even second choice in most cities. But sometimes they're the only SPG property in mid-size or small markets, or they're the only one where my company's hotel allowance will work. This is generally around $155 per night or less, unless I'm in a city like Chicago or New York. God knows I would prefer the Westin, a Sheraton or a W.

Anyone else?
Old Sep 6, 2002, 1:15 pm

worst: another vote for 4 points LAX. A cruddy property with tiny rooms. No upgrade. Parking requires cash. Staff inattentive.

best: 4 points Ventura. Location location location.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 1:49 pm

WORST: Orlando Airport (No longer a Sheraton Four Points. Spent the longest year of my life there one night a few years back).

Second choice would be the Four Points in Pleasanton, CA. $150/night to sleep on a foam brick.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 2:38 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Mixed results with 4 Points all the way around.... At work, my colleagues refer to the entire brand as "Sheraton Junk!" In general, they really do tend to be tired and blah. The other side of the coin, however, is that these are MID TIER properties and are priced as such.

I really believe that this is one key market segment where Marriott outshines anyone else. Their Fairfield line is tremendously consistent as is the Courtyard brand. In any number of places, I'll stay at a Marriott Towne Place Suites over a 4 Pts.

I wish *wood would unload some of the old junk and encourage significant new construction on the Four Points brand. (Leave all the old ones for Days Inn, Ramada, etc.) !!!
Old Sep 6, 2002, 2:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by installer:
worst: another vote for 4 points LAX. A cruddy property with tiny rooms. No upgrade. Parking requires cash. Staff inattentive. </font>
Interesting, but my experience there was quite the opposite - upgraded to a good size club floor room (7th floor), given free full breakfast coupon at their restaurant, staff was very cordial. Double SPG points to boot, all on a cheap rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.