Wiki Posts
Search

Toronto - which property?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Toronto - which property?

Any recommendation which property in downtown Toronto?

I will travel there in November for leisure.

It looks to me the choice only left to Sheraton Center Toronto or Westin Harbor Castle.

Any recommendation?

Last edited by lingua101; Aug 30, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Westin Harbor Castle. Stay the hell away from the Sheraton. Still brings back nightmares.

However, location wise.....
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold
Westin is way way nicer and on the waterfront. That's still technically downtown, but a little "downtown south" if you will.

Sheraton is more in the middle of it with the Eaton Centre across the street and the subway right there. But the rooms are...out of date, to put it nicely.

Depends on what you're doing in the city and where, but it might come down to a niceness vs location decision.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Westin Harbor Castle. Stay the hell away from the Sheraton. Still brings back nightmares.

However, location wise.....

Do you mind to share what happen?

Yeah Sheraton has much better location as it is in the center of the attraction.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intractable
Westin is way way nicer and on the waterfront. That's still technically downtown, but a little "downtown south" if you will.

Sheraton is more in the middle of it with the Eaton Centre across the street and the subway right there. But the rooms are...out of date, to put it nicely.

Depends on what you're doing in the city and where, but it might come down to a niceness vs location decision.
I know Sheraton has more centralize location. This will be my 5th time to Toronto area. I was there twice last year and stay at Courtyard at Yonge St as it was our corporate hotel.

So I kind of have some idea about the location.

I bet Westin probably has a nice view of the lake. I think I stayed there almost like 20 years ago .

intractable, since you are based in YYZ, how can I get back to Westin from Eaton center area after midnight? Will taxi easily available? I do not mind to walk if the weather is not too cold. But November, it may be close to zero right.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:06 am

Sheraton hands down. The Westin and surrounding area may be too cold & bleak in November. The Sheraton is central to everything. The Westin is geared for harbour front in nice weather. Sheraton has a nice lounge, nice suites and direct access to the underground walkways that go for miles. It's a big, busy property though, so just keep your expectations in check.

Cheers,
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flews
Sheraton hands down. The Westin and surrounding area may be too cold & bleak in November. The Sheraton is central to everything. The Westin is geared for harbour front in nice weather. Sheraton has a nice lounge, nice suites and direct access to the underground walkways that go for miles. It's a big, busy property though, so just keep your expectations in check.

Cheers,
Agree, I prefer the Sheraton over the Westin. Has a lounge for Plats with a good assortment of food and drink at breakfast and afternoon. Great space to see the North and South skyline.

One caveat is prices seem to be higher lately with high occupancy.

Originally Posted by intractable

Sheraton is undergoing a major refurb on interior, so I would say less than half the place is 'dated' and the rest should be completed this calendar year. The rooms now have functional space including USB and plugs bedside.

Actually, both North-South lines run near the Sheraton vs nothing near the Westin. As a tourist, it is right in the middle of things. So, while a bit busier and louder, everything is closer.

Also, should Nov be colder, having PATH access (the underground concourse connecting a lot of the DT area) is handy.

Originally Posted by lingua101
Any recommendation which property in downtown Toronto?

I will travel there in November for leisure.

It looks to me the choice only left to Sheraton Center Toronto or Westin Harbor Castle.

Any recommendation?
only 2 properties left after the King Eddy became an OMNI hotel. Like Flews, I think the Sheraton (request a renovated room) is a better choice for location.

I know Sheraton has more centralize location. This will be my 5th time to Toronto area. I was there twice last year and stay at Courtyard at Yonge St as it was our corporate hotel.

So I kind of have some idea about the location.

I bet Westin probably has a nice view of the lake. I think I stayed there almost like 20 years ago .

intractable, since you are based in YYZ, how can I get back to Westin from Eaton center area after midnight? Will taxi easily available? I do not mind to walk if the weather is not too cold. But November, it may be close to zero right.
Nice view of the lake, which as a Plat you will likely get. Taxis are readily available but they are pretty pricy, UBER is also available. If you have Uber and register with SPG, you also get points during an SPG stay - 2 points per $ spent + 1X bonus in conjunction with SPG stay. If you do not have Uber, I would be happy to refer you so you get your first ride (up to $20 free). The referrer also gets a bonus.

The Westin used to have a shuttle to get to the DT (City Hall and Metro Hall) area but discontinued that, that is a shame since it can be isolated.

I think a walk from Eaton Centre would be about 20 minutes. If its after midnight, that will seem like a lifetime! Once the subway stops running, there is a night bus (320) that runs along Yonge and then Bay and drops off near the Westin Hotel.

hope this info helps!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.2252 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Too bad the King Eddy is no longer an option. Toronto is an interesting market for SPG with many Airport options and few Downtown options.

As others have said, location of Sheraton is better, Westin is by the water and not much else.

Sheraton has the lounge and is connected to the path.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold
You won't have any trouble finding a cab in the area and it should be a quick trip. The walk would be 20-30 minutes. You could also take the TTC: two stops on the subway from Queen to Union and then the streetcar one stop to take you down to Queen's Quay and Bay. The subway runs to just past ~1am or so.

Hope you have a safe trip and welcome back to Toronto!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz
Sheraton has the lounge and is connected to the path.

Does this imply westin has no lounge? Any compensation for Plat?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Is there a reason you think a property gives "compensation" for not having a lounge? And what do you consider "compensation"?

Can this be combined with the existing Toronto Master thread?

Toronto: which hotel? 2008 on [Master thread]
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
No lounge. You may opt for breakfast instead of the 500 Spg points for amenity as per usual. Most Westin hotels do not have a lounge.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
Westin June til mid September.(lots of waterfront activities)
Sheraton the rest of the year.(Location, location,location)
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Originally Posted by neuron
No lounge. You may opt for breakfast instead of the 500 Spg points for amenity as per usual. Most Westin hotels do not have a lounge.
not 100% sure whether this is true but all westins I have ever stayed in China have incredible nice lounges... is this region specific?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Granted it was 6 years ago, but Sheraton gave me one of my best upgrades, WITHOUT suite nights.

I had booked 3 rooms, and asked for 2 rooms to be connected, 2db/1k. They could not do it, sort of. They said it could be done with a conference suite in the middle and did we mind? UH no problem. The conf suite had a LR, DR table for 8, 2 tvs which were perfect for the college bowl games and a kitchenette and half bath. TONS of room. We were in town for 4 people to run a marathon, plus there were another 6 family, it was GREAT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.