Search

Free Night Award

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold EY Gold Sirius Gold SPG Plat / LT Gold
Free Night Award

I am trying to book a free night award.

Hotel only shows 3 days in the whole of 2016 when there is award availability (at the standard redemption for that category). Lowest available rate is available 365 days.

According to plat chat there is no availability of the standard room except on the 3 dates identified.

Can the property do this? It seems to me that this is not in the spirit of the program.

I've seen this occur many time before during peak times or even over the course of the several months, but to have only 3 days in an entire year seems a little too restrictive!

FWIW hotel in question is the Sheraton Munich Airport.

Has anyone experience something like this before? Is there any further action that can be taken?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by dxbtraveller
I am trying to book a free night award.

Hotel only shows 3 days in the whole of 2016 when there is award availability (at the standard redemption for that category). Lowest available rate is available 365 days.

According to plat chat there is no availability of the standard room except on the 3 dates identified.

Can the property do this? It seems to me that this is not in the spirit of the program.

I've seen this occur many time before during peak times or even over the course of the several months, but to have only 3 days in an entire year seems a little too restrictive!

FWIW hotel in question is the Sheraton Munich Airport.

Has anyone experience something like this before? Is there any further action that can be taken?
Contact the hotel and find out if it's a glitch from their end or not. I have contacted hotels in the past and asked them to open inventory on their cash and points and I succeeded. Just give it a shot.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Start by identifying what is the property's standard room category. If it's available, you should be able to book it with points. Call Platinum Concierge.

BTW, I'm impressed that the OP checked the entire year. That must have been painful on spg.com. Or are you looking for availability on the calendar, which might have a glitch?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold EY Gold Sirius Gold SPG Plat / LT Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Start by identifying what is the property's standard room category. If it's available, you should be able to book it with points. Call Platinum Concierge.

BTW, I'm impressed that the OP checked the entire year. That must have been painful on spg.com. Or are you looking for availability on the calendar, which might have a glitch?
That was my first check. According to the calendar (and confirmed by plat chat) the standard room category (in this case a "Classic" room) is available on only 3 dates in the whole of 2016. For anyone who has ever stayed in this property that should be fairly difficult to believe. Let's just say it is hardly an aspirational destination!

They have a "Superior" available for an extra 1000 points, so no big deal, it was more the principal of the hotel appearing to circumnavigate the category assigned by SPG by not making any of the standard inventory available. That said, it may simply be an error in the system so email sent to hotel as per poster #2 suggestion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.