FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Fastest way to get to Plat for 2015 - Help ! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1704256-fastest-way-get-plat-2015-help.html)

craigthemif Aug 22, 15 1:36 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 (Post 25303184)

I'd try and focus on one night cheap BRG's (2K points award).

+1. I earned Plat in 2014 mostly from a bunch of one night mattress runs with BRGs. Worked out costing me 2.5 cents per point thanks to 2K + promos, so I was basically buying points at the sale price and picking up status for "free".

rafernandes Aug 22, 15 8:41 am

Amex Biz

So I do have the Citi Prestige. Fyi, their rates are not the cheapest. I tried them for 2 hotels both SPG, one in AZ, and the other in Venice ,Italy and they were 50% higher!

If I do get the Amex Biz card, the 5 nights won't be credited till 2016, so that won't help either,

Originally Posted by DC777Fan (Post 25309159)
After getting the SPG card(s) you don't have, get the Citi Prestige card ... 4th night free benefit is amazing for mattress runs -- lowers the effective cost/night substantially. First year is essentially free accounting for 2x airline fee for the first year's annual fee...

quinella66 Aug 22, 15 10:10 am

If your planned travel will not be enough, then you can do 3-room, 1-night mattress runs at a cheap area hotel - even using points or cash&points. Each gives you 3 stays, since platinum by stays is a lower target that the night goal. You can do that and invite friends to come along!

howtofreetravel Aug 22, 15 11:57 am

Originally Posted by rafernandes (Post 25310436)
So I do have the Citi Prestige. Fyi, their rates are not the cheapest. I tried them for 2 hotels both SPG, one in AZ, and the other in Venice ,Italy and they were 50% higher!

If I do get the Amex Biz card, the 5 nights won't be credited till 2016, so that won't help either,

Silly you , you can just get them to book via spg.com

tbaumann3 Aug 22, 15 4:56 pm

I was approved for the Personal Amex card earlier this month and the Stay/Night credit posted to my account within a week. I assume it works the same for the Biz card as well.

cyberjet Aug 22, 15 5:56 pm

Plus as you accumulate some free stays (including the sheraton weekend promo??)... those stays will be free and count towards your annual tally

mahasamatman Aug 22, 15 6:33 pm

Incorrect. Please believe the answers you get in the forum - that's why you're asking, isn't it?

rafernandes Aug 22, 15 7:11 pm

am looking for answers

I believe folks responses crossed over at the same time my comment on the Amex Biz card did

I absolutely do believe the answers, that's why I am on this forum

so in a nutshell,
-I will apply for the Amex Biz card and 5 free nights will apply
- we are planning on redeeming 2 nights on points
Summary : 41 nights

So here is something that just struck me - with the introduction of the Amex Biz card that give access to the SPG lounges, does LT Plat, even matter anymore ?

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 25312543)
Incorrect. Please believe the answers you get in the forum - that's why you're asking, isn't it?

mlpa Aug 22, 15 7:43 pm

Another idea is to link your SPG account with a Caesars Entertainment Total Rewards account and then look for cheap nights there. You can get 10 nights credit towards elite qualification per year this way. Not all Caesar's properties are eligible but I think Harrahs New Orleans is and they have several weeks left with rooms as low as $29 and I did confirm you can book up to 3 rooms per night just as can be done with actual Starwood properties. Also, they only count as nights and not stays and they also do not count toward lifetime totals.

mahasamatman Aug 22, 15 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by rafernandes (Post 25312640)
with the introduction of the Amex Biz card that give access to the SPG lounges, does LT Plat, even matter anymore ?

If that's the only benefit you care about, and you qualify for that card, probably not. Personally, I like the Platinum upgrades.

rafernandes Aug 23, 15 3:06 pm

Harrah New Orleans - SPG Eligble? and where did you find the rate ?

Hi - took your advise got a Caesars Entertainment account.. couple of questions. Thanks !

-I did find Harrah's new Orleans, for September for $ 29, just after labor day weekend,
- how do I make sure this place is SPG eligible ? I do not see it listed as a SPG property

would appreciate your feedback !
Thanks - Andrew

Originally Posted by mlpa (Post 25312718)
Another idea is to link your SPG account with a Caesars Entertainment Total Rewards account and then look for cheap nights there. You can get 10 nights credit towards elite qualification per year this way. Not all Caesar's properties are eligible but I think Harrahs New Orleans is and they have several weeks left with rooms as low as $29 and I did confirm you can book up to 3 rooms per night just as can be done with actual Starwood properties. Also, they only count as nights and not stays and they also do not count toward lifetime totals.

mlpa Aug 23, 15 3:58 pm

Follow either link below and there is a link in the lower left of the page that lists all participating Caesars Entertainment hotels.

www.TotalRewards.com/SPG or www.spg.com/caesars

Just be sure to link your two accounts together. Caesars properties are not SPG properties - this is just a cross-promotion between the two companies. This is the reasoning I was given as to why they only give you night credits but not stay or lifetime credits. So while it won't tick those boxes it certainly can help with getting some cheap qualifying nights for your 2015 goal.

466SHH Aug 23, 15 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by mlpa (Post 25316068)
Follow either link below and there is a link in the lower left of the page that lists all participating Caesars Entertainment hotels.

www.TotalRewards.com/SPG or www.spg.com/caesars

Just be sure to link your two accounts together. Caesars properties are not SPG properties - this is just a cross-promotion between the two companies. This is the reasoning I was given as to why they only give you night credits but not stay or lifetime credits. So while it won't tick those boxes it certainly can help with getting some cheap qualifying nights for your 2015 goal.

Be careful to check your Caesars nights post correctly. I had two separate stays in Reno in March and while the nights posted, I only got points for one of them. At $29 it was not a big deal, but it did indicate that the interface is not seamless.

Also, I seem to recall there is a limit on the number of nights per year that will credit to SPG- if memory serves me correctly, I think it is 10. It is in the T&Cs.

thehustla Aug 28, 15 10:50 am

https://www.totalrewards.com/content...red/tandc.html

3.2 Eligible Nights. Each night of a stay at a Caesars Participating Hotel that is eligible to receive Reward Credits or that results from the redemption of Reward Credits or Starpoints in which the SPG Member stays in the room will count as an Eligible Night under the SPG Program Terms, up to a maximum of 10 Eligible Nights per Qualifying Period, for the sole purpose of meeting the Gold Minimum Requirement and the Platinum Minimum Requirement in the SPG Program. Eligible Nights earned pursuant to the Total Rewards-SPG Member Benefits will not count towards meeting the Eligible Night requirements in order to achieve SPG Lifetime Gold status or SPG Lifetime Platinum status under the SPG Program Terms.