Sheraton Grand Hotels - new designation

Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I don't think elevating certain hotels with the Grand moniker will do anything to cause detriment to non-Grand properties. If I'm not mistaken, Starwood's portfolio by category is something along these lines:

Luxury: St Regis, Luxury Collection
Lifestyle: W
Upper-upscale: Le Méridien, Westin, Tribute
Upscale: Sheraton
Mid-range: Four Points, Aloft
Extended stay: Element

I think Sheraton Grand hotels would edge them closer to the upper-upscale category; they're still Sheratons but with more enhanced and dynamic offerings and designs, so just an improvement on an already good product. The Sheraton brand is being spruced up anyway, so I wouldn't worry about brand standards dropping anytime soon.

Tangent: call me picky, but is it a bit sloppy that within the Grand subsection of the Sheraton brand you've got Grand and Grande? I know it's one letter that doesn't take away from the overall meaning, but if you're going for brand unity then shouldn't they all stick to the same name?

khabah
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by khabah
Tangent: call me picky, but is it a bit sloppy that within the Grand subsection of the Sheraton brand you've got Grand and Grande? I know it's one letter that doesn't take away from the overall meaning, but if you're going for brand unity then shouldn't they all stick to the same name?

khabah
I'm sure they'll even all that out soon. They just announced this today, they haven't even created a separate website for the new brand. They literally just took 5 Asian hotels (one of which isn't even an actual Sheraton) that happened to have pre-existing names with Sheraton Grande, which was never a specific brand there, and lumped them in the new "Sheraton Grand" brand along with two other hotels in Dubai and Edinburgh that happened to have the word Grand in their names.

It's really not that different from Hyatt, I think. They had the lone Grand Hyatt New York for a while in the early 80s before they started building other hotels and calling them "Grand Hyatt" and eventually started marketing them as an individual sub-brand.

Last edited by James Luckard; Aug 19, 2015 at 4:22 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:42 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by James Luckard
I'm sure they'll even all that out soon. They just announced this today, they haven't even created a separate website for the new brand.
Looks like a new site has gone live: www.sheratongrand.com
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
This could be exciting stuff. I'm a big fan of non-US based Sheratons and look forward to this new designation.

With the risk of me being overly pedantic though, I just wanted to vent and say that it really gets to me when press releases like this are signed off with spelling mistakes as well as nonsensical wording. "The launch of the brand’s new visual identify"? "New imaginative Paired lobby menu"? If the announcement didn't mention the "$100m Sheraton-focused marketing campaign" I would have probably thought that there was no money set aside for promotion... If you're looking for a wordsmith, I'm available!

Best of luck for the redesign. 2020 is awfully close!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Isn't Sheraton supposed to be "grand" in the first place?
I'm not clear on what this means. What is "grand"? How is a hotel brand "grand"? Is Marriott grand? They're now not-grand because of a press release?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the criterion was to look for Sheratons that already have the word Grand in their names, perhaps we should check whether places like Grand Rapids or Grand Forks have Sheratons. There must be some Sheratons already located in Grand cities and towns. In fact, is there a Grand Sheraton in NYC named after Grand Central station?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm not clear on what this means. What is "grand"? How is a hotel brand "grand"? Is Marriott grand? They're now not-grand because of a press release?
Sheraton is supposed to be an up-scale hotel. In the past the name Sheraton meant something: upscale, full-service, one of a kind. It is ashamed most Sheratons now seems to be dated, ordinary, and subpar services. Adding another tier "Sheraton Grand" doesn't help that. It seems to be Starwoods way of accepting what has happened to their main Sheraton brand (becoming ordinary) and creates another tier "Sheraton Grand" to be what Sheraton was supposed to be: upscale, full-service, one of a kind.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Looks like a new site has gone live: www.sheratongrand.com
These are what Sheratons were supposed to be. Also, hotels in Asia typically are newer and better all around than their US counterparts. I've stayed at Four Points in China that I can honestly say are better than most Westins I've stayed in the USA. Instead of telling property managers in USA to step-up their game with renovations, I guess the solution is to create another tier and simply accept the fact older brands are just that: old and beat-up. I don't get it...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Correct me if I am wrong. Le Meridien has already had such moniker for a long time in that some properties are Le Royal Meridien rather than Le Meridien.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Correct me if I am wrong. Le Meridien has already had such moniker for a long time in that some properties are Le Royal Meridien rather than Le Meridien.
No doubt Starwoods will capitalized on this and create another tier: Le Royal Meridien....
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
That was a classification Le Meridien used far more commonly till about five years ago. They've almost completely done away with it though, much like "Sheraton Gateway". I think there are only two "Le Royal Meridien" properties left, in Shanghai and Dubai. I'm sure this is again a legacy of long-term contracts.

Last edited by James Luckard; Aug 19, 2015 at 6:34 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Sheraton is supposed to be an up-scale hotel. In the past the name Sheraton meant something: upscale, full-service, one of a kind. It is ashamed most Sheratons now seems to be dated, ordinary, and subpar services. Adding another tier "Sheraton Grand" doesn't help that. It seems to be Starwoods way of accepting what has happened to their main Sheraton brand (becoming ordinary) and creates another tier "Sheraton Grand" to be what Sheraton was supposed to be: upscale, full-service, one of a kind.
Depends on how far in the past you're looking. Sheraton used to be a full range of hotels, from budget motels to luxury establishments like the St. Regis in NY. They started breaking them up in the mid 90s under ITT, moving a few Sheratons into the ITT Sheraton Luxury division, which exploded from only a couple of properties as a result of Sheraton buying CIGA Hotels, the Italian luxury chain. Around the same time, they downgraded all the motels to Four Points by Sheraton, so they had three divisions. Even then, however, plenty of Sheratons were only a tiny step above Four Points level, while others were quite luxurious.

Last edited by James Luckard; Aug 19, 2015 at 6:36 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by James Luckard
That was a classification Le Meridien used far more commonly till about five years ago. They've almost completely done away with it though, much like "Sheraton Gateway". I think there are only two "Le Royal Meridien" properties left, in Shanghai and Dubai. I'm sure this is again a legacy of long-term contracts.
I don't consider LRM Shanghai to be better than other LMs, just bigger. [And it has a lounge, which other LMs generally don't.] Maybe it should be Le Grand Meridien.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't consider LRM Shanghai to be better than other LMs, just bigger. [And it has a lounge, which other LMs generally don't.] Maybe it should be Le Grand Meridien.
There were loads of LRM hotels like 5-10 years ago. When I stayed at Hotel National in Moscow it was LRM, and the King Edward in Toronto was LRM for a while.

I'm fairly sure that was a classification added to Meridien before Starwood bought them, it was phased out under Starwood.

Last edited by James Luckard; Aug 19, 2015 at 7:09 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
According to the link dw posted, SGS will still be an LC property. AND be part of this new grouping. To me that doesn't suggest a new brand so much as it does some other sort of grouping. But I have absolutely no idea what it means or what the strategy is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.