Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Yes, it's a Starwood benefit: points for meals without a stay

Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Here's the current language on this benefit from the SPG T&C. Note especially the $10 minimum:
2.2.b. When an SPG Member is not staying at an SPG Participating Hotel, charges incurred by the SPG Member for food and beverage (excluding alcoholic beverage purchases where prohibited by law) at restaurants located within or adjacent to SPG Participating Hotels will be Eligible Charges if:
(i) the restaurant permits guests to charge food and beverage on their folios;
(ii) the charges are greater than $10 USD (excluding taxes, gratuities);
(iii) the food and beverage is not in connection with a banquet, meeting or other function that is excluded from Eligible Charges as provided in Section 2.2.a; and
(iv) the SPG Member provides his/her SPG Member number at the time of payment.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 30, 2008, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
Uh, any specific restaurants excluded from this?
The rule of thumb is that if a guest who is staying at the hotel can charge the meal to their room, you are able to get points for a standalone meal. If you have trouble with the restaurant staff, just fax the receipt in.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by oregonian
SanDiego 1K, thank you so much. This is very helpful. I missed the 5.7 paragraph. I am eager to try this at Christmas and fax the receipt to Program Services at 519-633-8557. This is a great forum.
SanDiego 1K, I dined on December 24, faxed it in when I returned home from the holidays, and recevied an email from Starwood and the points in just a few days. Thank you!Thank you!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Did this successfully at Westin Ottawa (2006) and FP YYZ West (2007).
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by soitgoes
They expire after 12 months without stay activity or credit card earning.
Well, the above response is certainly incorrect in this sea of information apparently stating that one can save their SPG account by having a meal at an SPG property and receiving points for that meal -- without stay activity or SPG credit card charges.

Wonder why no one has commented on this before, especially since this is an integral portion of this post's original query.

By the way, the wife and I had brunch on New Year's Day at an SPG proeprty and was wondering how long it should take for the points to hit her account -- and keep it from expiring. So far, nada.

Thanks,

NJ
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:08 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
...By the way, the wife and I had brunch on New Year's Day at an SPG proeprty and was wondering how long it should take for the points to hit her account -- and keep it from expiring. So far, nada.

Thanks,

NJ
If it hasn't posted by now, it probably isn't going to. I would fax the receipt to Program Services at 519-633-8557 and ask for the missing dining credit to be posted.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the above response is certainly incorrect in this sea of information apparently stating that one can save their SPG account by having a meal at an SPG property and receiving points for that meal -- without stay activity or SPG credit card charges.
Points-earning dining charges of at least $10 are considered by Starwood to be stay activity (but not "a stay" for the purposes of elite levels).
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Thanks, Lurker and Soitgoes.

Lurker another question.

I had her pay for the charge with her credit card so ther would be no problem in her getting the points to her account.

But, could I have paid for the charge with my SPG credit card (different name) and still assigned the points to be earned to her account?

I did not think that this would be possible because earning points for a hotel stay the card and the account must match, I believe, but I was not able to find anything on point on this subject.

Not a biggie, but would like to know for future reference.

Thanks,

NJ
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:50 pm

Thanks, Lurker and Soitgoes.

Lurker another question.

I had her pay for the charge with her credit card so ther would be no problem in her getting the points to her account.

But, could I have paid for the charge with my SPG credit card (different name) and still assigned the points to be earned to her account?

I did not think that this would be possible because earning points for a hotel stay the card and the account must match, I believe, but I was not able to find anything on point on this subject.

Not a biggie, but would like to know for future reference.

Thanks,

NJ
Whoever expects to receive Starpoints for their spend should use their own credit card and account number, so IMHO, you did it just right.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Thanks, William!

One final question, the receipt received for SPG points did not register the tip amount. Do tips also earn SPG points from the food and beverage charges and do taxes also earn points?

Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do tips also earn SPG points from the food and beverage charges and do taxes also earn points?
No on both.

Eligible Charges do not include:
(a) room charges that are not included in the definition of Eligible Rates (NOTE: certain pre-paid rooms where the booking is made through a third party are not Eligible Rates);
(b) charges for banquets, meetings or other functions, with the exception of points earned from qualifying meetings or events through the Preferred Planner Program;
(c) complimentary services (including, but not limited to, any Awards earned through the Program);
(d) other fees paid such as parking, business center, high-speed internet access, retail stores, spa products and services and greens fees;
(e) taxes, gratuities, service charges and other applicable charges, such as energy charges, and resort fees.
(f) any charges not specifically listed as an Eligible Charge.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Thanks Soitgoes!
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:46 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
Unfortunately, after my first three or four attempts to get SPG points for dining at the Blue Fin restaurant at the W Times Square were met with a variety of excuses as to why this can't be done, I simply gave up. Of course, had I been spending $150 for dinner instead of $35 for a weekend brunch, I might still be fighting this battle, but I figure it's just not worth the hassle for about 100 points. Now if I needed the points to keep my account active, that would be a different story.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Are drinks consumed in the concierge lounge (in MN) and charged to your room eligible for points accumulation?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Are drinks consumed in the concierge lounge (in MN) and charged to your room eligible for points accumulation?
Should be. The only states where they currently would not be are Hawaii, California, Oregon, and Massachusetts.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 24, 2009, 2:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by hillrider
Uh, any specific restaurants excluded from this?

I had two meals at Micheal Mina in San Francisco's Westin St. Francis and when I presented the SPG card at my first meal on the second day of opening I was told (after much waiting) that the restaurant was separate from the hotel and that therefore they wouldn't give me points. At the time I didn't press the issue further but I see that the restaurant is clearly listed as part of the hotel: www.westinstfrancis.com/dining/michael_mina.cfm

Incidentally, that place is high on pretentiousness--much, much better high-end places to eat in my hometown.
Originally Posted by freebee
Unfortunately, after my first three or four attempts to get SPG points for dining at the Blue Fin restaurant at the W Times Square were met with a variety of excuses as to why this can't be done, I simply gave up. Of course, had I been spending $150 for dinner instead of $35 for a weekend brunch, I might still be fighting this battle, but I figure it's just not worth the hassle for about 100 points. Now if I needed the points to keep my account active, that would be a different story.
In my personal experience, and having been to both of the referenced restaurants, it seems the restaurant staff are not well informed about this particular benefit, or just simply don't know how to process it. I had folks claimed that the benefit doesn't exist, referred me to the front desk, or just looked at me as if I'm speaking a foreign language. I still find it easiest to just take the itemized restaurant receipt and fax over to SPG for credit. And yes, I've gotten points for Michael Mina, Blue Fin, and Pinot Brasserie.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.