Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Overlapping Stays : Booking a room at more than one SPG hotel on the same night

FAQ : Overlapping Stays : Booking a room at more than one SPG hotel on the same night

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 31, 17, 9:08 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 23, 17, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Be assured the first posting will be the one to garner the least credit. You will them have to fight to get what you deserve. Personally, I'd set up the three-night room booking under someone else's account and let the four-night room bookings stay under my account. Missing the one extra night is not something to fret over.

Also, make arrangements for everyone to be able to sign off room charges to my personal room so there are no issues with points from those.
Old Feb 23, 17, 12:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
You will them have to fight to get what you deserve.
Can anyone state, according to the SPG Rules, how many stay and night credits this *should* accrue ?

The T&C wording is this :

An SPG Member may only earn Starpoints, Eligible Nights and Eligible Stays for up to three guest rooms during any Stay if he/she stays in one of the reserved guest rooms and pays an Eligible Rate or redeems an SPG Award or an SPG Promotion Reward for all of the guest rooms.
My guess is with SAN-man, 13 nights and 3 credits, maybe 4. And it'll surely case the Double Take promo algorithm to go into another meltdown.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Feb 23, 17 at 12:49 pm
Old Mar 31, 17, 4:14 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, BAEC Silver
Just adding my recent experience with this.

Had a business trip to Beijing and stayed 12 nights at the Sheraton. But during those 13 days, I wanted to try teh W Beijing out so i booked 2 nights there. Both were paid with my same credit card.

Reason I did not check out of the Sheraton for 2 nights and save my company those two nights is because I booked the whole stay with the Z6H/R rate.

Anyway, I received credits and points for both bookings.
Old Mar 31, 17, 6:12 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I didn't realize this could be an issue. When I travel for leisure, I often use one city as a home base and take daytrips or two-day trips to nearby areas. To avoid the hassle of having to lug all my family's stuff around, I will sometimes stay checked in to the "home base" hotel for the duration. I'd certainly feel entitled to points on both stays in such a situation.
Old Mar 31, 17, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

Originally Posted by DC777Fan View Post
I understand the logic in "you can't be more than 1 place at 1 time" and therefore not awarding credit for both stays. However, what happens when the stays only overlap by one night? i.e. I stay in DC for 4 nights and in order to keep my room until 10pm I have to pay for night #4 . On that same night at 10pm, I drive to Baltimore and check in at 11pm for another 4 night stay. Do I get 4 nights, 7 nights or 8 (if some logic prevails as to proximity of hotels) nights credit?
Originally Posted by lcpteck View Post
This has been discussed before, technically you can only get credit in 1 hotel per night.

Do remember they can always audit your account if any issues and make the appropriate adjustments. So YMMV.
THIS If you're audited, you have no ground to stand on.

MODS - Can this be turned into a FAQ Thread?
These are all threads about this topic over the last few years
Question on overlapping SPG Night / Stay Policy
Overlapping stay cancels out the entire second stay, right?
Overlapping reservations
Booking different hotels on same day?
Multiple hotels on same date
Can I simultaneously stay at two hotels at once?
Old Mar 31, 17, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DC777Fan View Post
I understand the logic in "you can't be more than 1 place at 1 time" and therefore not awarding credit for both stays. However, what happens when the stays only overlap by one night? i.e. I stay in DC for 4 nights and in order to keep my room until 10pm I have to pay for night #4 . On that same night at 10pm, I drive to Baltimore and check in at 11pm for another 4 night stay. Do I get 4 nights, 7 nights or 8 (if some logic prevails as to proximity of hotels) nights credit?
I believe SPG's programs are run by computers. There's not a human being looking at every stay, looking at the check-out/check-in times, distance between the two properties, etc., etc. I doubt it's much more sophisticated than If date (stay 1) = date(stay 2) then no credit.

I would strongly suspected that reservations in DC and Baltimore will be treated the same as one in New York and one in Miami. Now, the program may have issues with catching the issues accurately (and as noted, audit can catch this later), but the fact that your hotels are close to each other and you checked out at a certain time likely has no impact on the processing.
Old Apr 1, 17, 5:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
So, we now have a consolidated FAQ thread. To be really useful, the information needs to be summarised, so I have added a wiki template for this purpose. We'll need stuff like

What do the rules say ?
Is it 'illegal' ?
What happens in practice ?
What guidance have the Lurkers given ?
What happens if you book a Starwood and a Marriott on the same night ? (bonus point for this one)

Time for forum members to step up to the plate.
Old Apr 1, 17, 9:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
I took 3 people to Chicago for a meeting a year ago or so. We had 4 rooms, but one wanted to bring his wife and come a day earlier- it was his wedding anniversary. So, I paid for 3 rooms for 2 nights (Fri-Sun) and 1 room for 3 nights (Thurs-Sun). I can only assume that the result of one differing reservation allowed me to get stay/ night/ and points credit for all 4 stays.

Search this Thread