Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Times Square or Westin Times Square

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Sheraton Times Square or Westin Times Square

I currently have the Sheraton Times square club room booked for our September trip for 5 nights. I just recently acquired enough points to stay at the Westin Times Square if I'd like. Any thoughts on if I should change hotels. Advantage is the Sheraton offers club lounge on a high floor with my points. With the Westin it's likely I would get a low floor with no view and of course no club lounge (also heard the lounge at the Sheraton is not too good compared to other Sheraton hotels). Also, is the location better at one then the other. I do like a luxury hotel as when we go to Vegas I am spoiled and only like to stay at the Bellagio or Aria. This will be our (two girls in our 50's --- husbands not attending) first trip to NY. Thanks for any suggestions and/or opinions.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Times Square is a tourist trap. I stayed at the Westin during 4th and it was overrun with screaming kids. The wait for the elevators was insane.
Never stay there again.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Westin renovated recently I think, and closer to the 'action'.

The lobby and public space is a bit small though.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
from a tourist point of view the westin is in a better location....it looks & feels like a better property but i have found the staff attitude to be lackluster....

the sheraton on the other hand is still in a good enough location (again from a tourist point of view) & i have found the staff to be more helpful....

personally i would pick the sheraton over the 2....
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by Keyser
it looks & feels like a better property but i have found the staff attitude to be lackluster
Yeah, you don't get the pulling into entrance, bell-boy welcome experience.
It's just a sidewalk. But you're literally in the scene once you step out.

Choose the Sheraton if you want the complete hotel experience.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I stayed at both hotels with my mid-20s daughter in January ... I gave her my suite upgrades and I took the regular rooms at both properties. We both preferred the Sheraton.

As far as location, only a few blocks' between them - a very quick subway ride. To be honest, we found the Sheraton closer to many things we did ... saw The Late Show, The Daily Show, and a couple of plays. The Westin's closer to Times Square, but the Sheraton's closer to Central Park. Do not make a decision based on property location.

The rooms in the Westin had higher quality furnishings, but the Sheraton's rooms were fine.

As far as the lounge, the Sheraton's lounge was pretty good; we didn't consider it substandard. No issues other than it was pretty darned busy.

In all, the Sheraton was a lower price and I considered it to be a better value.

Keyser's review was spot on.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Based on the OP description, I would stay with the Sheraton.

Let's be honest that both hotels can have a zoolike atmosphere based on the fact that they are large hotels and frequented by large groups. The OP didn't mention that this was an R&R trip so I think both hotels are functional. I would not classify either as a luxury hotel but the Westin is a tad more upscale IMHO. As for the location, I assume since this is "two girls in our 50's" that the Sheraton might actual have a preferred location over the Westin due to it's proximity to shopping, Central Park, etc......neither of the two is actually in the middle of Times Square! I would also think that the OP might enjoy the Sheraton Club Lounge with it's nice city views. Just don't expect a full breakfast up there (think cereal, oatmeal, bagels, croissants) and also be aware that the lounge can also get very busy (but luckily they seem to be cracking down on people bringing entire families in there and also people trying to sneak in).
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I've stayed at both properties countless times and I'd say the above comments are all pretty solid.

The only thing I would really add is that I've never missed getting an upgrade at the Westin. At the very least and most often, it was to a corner room on a top floor with amazing views. A few times it's been a suite. But I've never gotten a run-of-the-house room, no matter what I booked.

Both have had recent renovations with, as noted above, the Westin being a bit more upscale but just a bit. Both are huge hotels although I find the Sheraton a bit of bigger zoo as it often is home to large conferences and there are a lot of flight crews that stay there. At 12noon upon check-out, it's not uncommon to see 20 or 30 people in line to store bags with the bellman. The lobby of the Sheraton is nothing short of chaotic 24/7.

Both are great locations to find a quick bite, a Starbucks, or a Duane Reade outside your front door.

If I was picking one over the other, I'd pick the Westin but it's nearly a tie. If the Sheraton requires less points, save your points and stay there instead.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your responses...they are much appreciated
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I was just at the Sheraton 2 weeks ago.. I like its location just slightly better than the Westin's.. but it's nearly a wash. For 5 nights you'll like being able to use the Club lounge.. many years ago before this Sheraton was renovated I would have said go Westin but now it's really close.

I've definitely stayed at the Sheraton more often, and have been upgraded to suites there many times.. I used to also stay at the Sheraton Manhattan quite often across the street before it was sold by Starwood and de-flagged...first they stripped it of the Sheraton name and just called the Manhattan.... and now it is not a Starwood hotel at all.. I liked it because it was smaller and less crowded...but it needed major renovating.

The subway entrance to the N/R is directly outside the Sheraton on the corner.. if there are particular points of interest you like that are closer to the Westin you might prefer that.. there are things I like that happen to be closer to the Sheraton. I also consider where I need to go in Manhattan (ie, for meetings, dinners, etc) and if I'm going to ride the subway a lot... the Westin is closer to the 8th Ave lines... the Sheraton closer to the Broadway/7th Ave and N/R lines.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite
I have stayed at both the Westin and Sheraton in Times Square. I prefer the Westin only because it feels a little more relaxed. As others mention, the Sheraton can have a bit more of a zoo feel to it.

I just booked another trip to NYC - I've never tried the W Times Square. I assume it's good. Anyone have an opinion on it?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Prewrappedbacon
I just booked another trip to NYC - I've never tried the W Times Square. I assume it's good. Anyone have an opinion on it?
Stayed there a long time ago (6 years). It had the W feel to it, nothing to write home about.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Have you read the property specific thread? Probably your best source for info. It's a W so the overall experience will be much different than the Sheraton and the Westin.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select

Last month it was under significant renovation. Lobby walls and ceilings opened up, wires hanging, people sitting on the floor. Looked like a third world airport.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've also stayed at both, and liked both.

Location goes to the Sheraton, room size goes to the Westin.

We were on the CL at the Sheraton and it was very, very crowded - should be even worse now since the 8/11 allowing Amex biz card holders in. But nice it was open 24/7, you could always pop in for a quiet rest during the day, drinks (water and juice, etc.) and granola bars always available outside of breakfast and evening.

Elevators: Westin very fast, never had a wait. Sheraton also fast, no waits, but always sounded like the building was falling down and you were going to plummet at any moment (don't worry, we didn't).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.