Orchid and the Big Island

Old Mar 31, 2002, 12:02 pm
GB
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Orchid and the Big Island

I will be spending a week at the Orchid next week as a family with 2 kids. Any recommendations for rooms, activities, where to eat, etc..?

Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2002, 7:39 pm

I recall an excellent outdoor dinner at the Brown Beach House.
Old Mar 31, 2002, 9:45 pm

The Orchid Mauna Lani is my favorite hotel. They may not have a lot of kids-focused stuff like Westin Maui has, but apparently the property has the quality - used to be Ritz Carlton until a couple of years ago.

They still have swimming pools and some beach activities going on all the time, so kids should be fine.

I stayed there a couple of times and I always like the experience. This year, I stayed using free weekend deal - was upgraded to Executive Ocean Suite. I kind of felt sorry (nah!) not paying a penny for the room!!!

They have a lot of beach stuff including free snokeling equipment (by the way, you are kind of guaranteed to see sea turtles), canoe, walking tours, etc. Oceanside hammock is my favorite - I can just enjoy taking a nap... Not to mention, they have full resort hotel things like spa, tennis courts (w/lessons), golf, etc...

Enjoy your stay!
Old Apr 1, 2002, 8:28 am

My kids liked the "island Boys" activities, where a few of the staff walk the kids/adults through some traditional Hawaiian activities. They especially liked the Palm weaving, although it is not a "Drop-off" activity for the kids. The parents needed to be there.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, Delta silver, Marriott Ambassador Hilton gold
I will be at the orchid the last week of june. I have read all post on this property but no one mentions if they rented a car or not. Is it worthwhile to rent a car for the week (this is work related and I will be in meetings from 8-12 am), or should I just pay $100 taxi ride and stay at the resort.

thanks
Old Jun 14, 2002, 1:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rachel:
I will be at the orchid the last week of june. I have read all post on this property but no one mentions if they rented a car or not. Is it worthwhile to rent a car for the week (this is work related and I will be in meetings from 8-12 am), or should I just pay $100 taxi ride and stay at the resort.

thanks
</font>

First off... how long will you be there? What would you like to see/do?

Second, based on how long you are there, a rental car might be your best bet. The hotel is far from the airport, and the main part of Kona. Any cab ride from the hotel to the "built up" area of Kona will cost $40.00 - $50.00 one way.

Kings Shops is 4 miles away, and has some good shopping and eats.

Bottom line, if you want to get out and explore the island, get a rental car.

Last option is... Rent a car at the hotel, it might be a bit more than at the airport, but if you only need it for a day or two, maybe an alternative.

Most adventure comapnies offer transportation to/from the hotel.

Have a great stay, I hear nothing but GREAT things about this hotel and the big island
Old Jun 14, 2002, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, Delta silver, Marriott Ambassador Hilton gold
I will be there from sun-sat night. My hubby can't go and I don't go out as much when I am alone. If anyone has suggestions about sights to see and things to do in the afternoons that would be great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.