Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How long after completing eligible nights do you get Plat or Gold status?

How long after completing eligible nights do you get Plat or Gold status?

Old Aug 3, 15, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question How long after completing eligible nights do you get Plat or Gold status?

I'm sure this is discussed somewhere, but after some searching I can't find it, so...

It looks like I'll drop down from my current Plat status to Gold or lower status for the start of 2016, but that by the middle of 2016 I should have enough eligible nights be back up to certainly Gold or very possibly Plat. So here's my question: About how long does it usually take for one's new status to enter Starwood's system after you achieve enough eligible nights?

My specific situation is that it looks like I'll get up to certainly 25 or possibly 50 nights (the number of nights depending on whether some early 2016 business travel pushes through) just two days before my wife and I begin a trip to Spain, where we'll stay at a few Starwoods. Is it reasonable to hope that the my new Gold or Plat status might be in the system by then?

And I guess a related question: Anything I can encourage the hotel from which I'm checking out two days before Spain to do, to increase the chances of the status updating to Gold or Plat quickly?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Aug 3, 15, 3:22 pm

You will drop to Gold due to SPGs soft landing policy regardless how many nights/stays you've had in 2015.
For recovery the status gets reflected in your account as soon as the qualifying nights/stay are posted. As you might know, this happens usually next day if nothing goes wrong.
Old Aug 3, 15, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Exp, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
It should be. As soon as your points post for your prior stay (usually within 24-48 hrs of your stay) you will get the status upgrade. But if you already made your ressie then once it hits I'd email the hotel about your status (if you're Plat they may pre-upgrade you before you arrive).
Old Aug 3, 15, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Very useful info from both of you. (I hadn't known about the soft landing policy.) Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 15, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by red star View Post
You will drop to Gold due to SPGs soft landing policy regardless how many nights/stays you've had in 2015.
For recovery the status gets reflected in your account as soon as the qualifying nights/stay are posted. As you might know, this happens usually next day if nothing goes wrong.
I do not think this is accurate. Status does not happen "next day", it happens when the qualifying stay is posted to the SPG members account.

That could be several days depending on when the stay was process and how often SPGs proprietary systems do a system sweep.
Old Aug 3, 15, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by KENNECTED View Post
Status does not happen "next day", it happens when the qualifying stay is posted to the SPG members account.
Originally Posted by red star View Post
status gets reflected in your account as soon as the qualifying nights/stay are posted.
Old Aug 4, 15, 2:17 am

If you have an existing reservation you can select SET YOUR STAY PREFERENCE under your SPG Account.

PLATINUM member get to choose your upgrade preference under "PLATINUM MEMBER UPGRADE"
Old Aug 4, 15, 5:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP completes the requirements for status just before leaving for Spain, the change of time zones from USA to Spain will not be in his favor. This will be exacerbated by the fact that TATL flights tend to arrive in Europe early in the morning, so the OP will presumably be checking in at or before the start of the normal business day in the USA.
Old Aug 4, 15, 6:36 am

Programs: SPG LTG, DL Plat
It was my experience, upon leaping from Gold to Platinum, that any reservation I made while I was still a Gold but actually checked in as a Platinum, the system still reflected that I was a Gold, so it was a small process to get Platinum benefits at check in. Knowing what I know now, I'd call the hotels in advance to advise of my status so I'd have the best chance of a pre-upgrade or being slotted for a good room.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: