Community
Wiki Posts
Search

spg restaurants and bars - uninformed staff

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:24 am
Original Poster

spg restaurants and bars - uninformed staff

Last week I was in Venice and use the service at the bar of the hotel Westin Europa and Regina. Unfortunately, the waiter was not even aware of the possibility of getting points if you are not staying at the hotel. Moreover, he started to be rude when I asked about the discount.
I had to ask at reception for points and when the manager came - I got a discount and they copied my card, but there is still no points.
Why SPG do not educate staff in the bars of this promotion? This is not the first such situation I encountered.
Few days after that I was in Paris (Westin) and they even had separate prices for SPG members in the menu - as a bright example.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sometimes restaurants "in" the hotel are not operated by the hotel and therefore typically aren't included in promos. The rule is usually explained as being able to earn points if you can do a room charge to pay your restaurant bill, but YMMV. It can be very confusing and restaurant servers can't be expected to understand the fine points of the SPG program. Still, a restaurant manager should know.

To me the separate prices on a restaurant menu sounds a little bit tacky, even if one benefits from it. More typically there's a discount applied at the end, which is much more discreet.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Unfortunately the wait staff is so far down the chain they get forgotten or the material is so watered down by then. If it was me working up the program, I would arrange it so the FD issues a bogus room key and folio so the restaurant just does business as normal and then the FD closes out the folio with whatever discount is appropriate and processes the points as though it was a normal room charge (or course stopgap to prevent stays/nights from posting). I've read some properties do do this so it's not an original thought.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:53 pm

Best way to do this is simply get your receipt, write your spg number on it. Ask for the manager or FD supervisor at the front desk. And tell them to process this through spg link. I found this out by talking to a FD supervisor. If the manager or supervisor does not know what spg link is, it's a simple training issue.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 1mileman
Best way to do this is simply get your receipt, write your spg number on it. Ask for the manager or FD supervisor at the front desk. And tell them to process this through spg link.
Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds like a fairly low effort and high reliability solution.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by 1mileman
Best way to do this is simply get your receipt, write your spg number on it. Ask for the manager or FD supervisor at the front desk. And tell them to process this through spg link. I found this out by talking to a FD supervisor. If the manager or supervisor does not know what spg link is, it's a simple training issue.
This works only for the points. Normally you won't get your discount in this way, because the bill is closed...
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had to fight tooth and nail to get my SPG Restaurants and Bars discount almost every time. Sometimes, front desk denies any knowledge of this discount program even after I've shown them website. I had to escalate.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
I totally agree with this thread and theme. Very rarely waiters/restaurants seem aware and in the know what to do. Even more rarely do points actually post. A prime example is Otto at W Montreal where waiters, including the shift leader, will claim there is no such thing like 10% off and SPG points, and the information on the SPG site must be wrong. I've basically given up on this benefit and associated promotions, not worth the hassle.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by banzani
.....will claim there is no such thing like 10% off and SPG points, and the information on the SPG site must be wrong....
Or they claim that website is out of date and promo has expired.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by HRSPGPutnik
Last week I was in Venice and use the service at the bar of the hotel Westin Europa and Regina. Unfortunately, the waiter was not even aware of the possibility of getting points if you are not staying at the hotel. Moreover, he started to be rude when I asked about the discount.
I had to ask at reception for points and when the manager came - I got a discount and they copied my card, but there is still no points.
Why SPG do not educate staff in the bars of this promotion? This is not the first such situation I encountered.
Few days after that I was in Paris (Westin) and they even had separate prices for SPG members in the menu - as a bright example.
This has been discussed to death. Send your receipts to [email protected]

In addition, please review this thread.
FAQ: Yes, it's a Starwood benefit: points for meals without a stay

Mods, can this be merged?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
This has been discussed to death. Send your receipts to [email protected]

In addition, please review this thread.
FAQ: Yes, it's a Starwood benefit: points for meals without a stay

Mods, can this be merged?
This may get you points but not the discount.@:-)
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
This may get you points but not the discount.@:-)
You could always give yourself the discount assuming that you were planning to tip more than 10%. This is more of a US centric solution, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.