Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Palace Hotel, Moscow, Russian Federation [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Palace Hotel, Moscow, Russian Federation [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:38 am

Oh I forgot the arrival at the airport (svo)can be one of the most tramatic in the world if you don't have Rubles and transportation arranged in advance. When you step out of customs you wade through a tightly packed crowd of people looking to meet family members into one of the most viscious packs of cab drivers in the world (cairo deserves mention here too) Know your transportation plan from airport to Hotel and have a backup and the rest will fall into place.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:31 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Stay Report - Sheraton Palace Moscow

It has been a while since this property was reviewed so I thought I'd take this opportunity to refresh some information about the hotel based on my stay last week.

The Sheraton Palace Hotel is located on Tverskaya Yamskaya, an extension of the busiest thoroughfare in central Moscow. This makes it a fairly straight shot by car from both the airport and the Red Square area (about a 20 minute walk from Red Square).

Transportation:
Transportation to the hotel can be made in advance through the hotel or at the airport via the many taxi drivers waiting outside of customs. I opted to pre-arrange a car through the hotel at a rate of $90USD. It's really up to the individual as to take the hotel car or get a taxi at the airport. The trip to the hotel from the airport is about 30 minutes. The trip from the hotel to the airport during afternoon rush hour can take up to an hour and a half, however.

Once at the hotel, you can opt to use the taxis parked outside, which are very expensive, or you can walk two blocks to Belorusskya Metro station and take the metro, which I recommend. The metro is fast, efficient and DIRT CHEAP (about $0.30USD per ride). The Belorusskya subway station services both Line #3 and the Circle line, which means that you can get anywhere in the city in a matter of minutes.

CHECK-IN:
Knowledge of the Russian Language is not necessary. Almost all of the hotel staff speak English very well and are all very helpful.

I stayed on a reward stay and was "upgraded" to the SPG floor - no Towers level upgrade.

THE ROOM:

http://www.gnedge.com/travel/russia/Hotel_Room.jpg

http://www.gnedge.com/travel/russia/...hotel_room.jpg

The room was unremarkable. The bed was extremely soft - as in the mattress was old. The couch was uncomfortable. The room and bathroom were clean and smelled nice, however. As seen in the photo above, the Tverskaya Yamskaya is a very busy street but the windows of the room are quite soundproof and you can't hear the street noise with the windows closed.

The TV worked, with the standard international channels, BBC, CNN, Bloomburg, etc.

The phone line had quite a bit of noise, which made internet access almost impossible and the hotel had no high-speed access anywhere, which made checking email and trolling Flyertalk quite challenging.

THE PLUSES:
The hotel is in a great location. Not only is it next to a convenient subway station, Tverskaya is the premier boutique shopping street in the city, which makes for a nice walk. Also, the area around Belorusskaya Station next door has many shops where you can purchase food and drinks to avoid the overpriced food and drink in the hotel.

The service is great, but it comes with a price.

There is an ATM in the lobby which dispenses both USD and Rubles.

The restaurants in the hotel are decent.

THE NEGATIVES:
The hotel-sponsored car service to and from the airport is ridiculously expensive - $90USD each way.

The mini-bar items and restaurants are also ridiculously expensive.

As a *wood Platinum, I was expecting at least an upgrade to the Towers level. Instead I got a standard room on the "SPG Floor." I was not offered a Welcome Amenity either.

SUMMARY:
This is a good hotel for a first trip to Moscow, especially if it's a reward stay (hello free hotel room!) However, on my next trip I think I will choose another hotel.

I have some photos from Moscow here if you're interested: http://www.gnedge.com/travel/russia

_Geoffrey

[This message has been edited by gnedge (edited Mar 18, 2004).]
Old Mar 18, 2004, 12:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Nice review and pictures. Thanks. I agree with your assessment. I have not stayed there in a year, but I have stayed there many times and never got an upgrade to anything other than a fairly ordinary room. I commented on that after the last stay and a manager said I should let them know before my next stay, but I have not been to Moscow in over a year now.

The hotel is very convenient and I too like the Metro.

The breakfast buffet was always very good.

I would add that there are a few convenience stores nearby that are great to purchase snacks and large bottles of bottled water.

I have a driver that I use in Moscow that is about half the price and actually much more reliable. Once the hotel driver could not find me and went back to the hotel and I had to deal with the sharks at the Taxi stand unless I wanted to wait an hour. My driver once waited over four hours at the airport when my flight was delayed and he did not get the message. (I also have a great driver and guide in St. Petersburg.)
Old May 21, 2004, 4:26 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Wow, I could have written nearly the exact same review of the hotel, and I was there last week!

Only a Gold, so I guess even less chance of the towers for me.

I got a SPG room, which had a lovely view of the concrete court yard However, it was quiet.

Nice hotel, but to be honest, nothing special. I would opt for the Ararat Hyatt, which is near Bolshoi/Red Square.

But, I will say very nice and helpful staff. And for your $90, you do get a Merc!
Old May 21, 2004, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I stayed there once last year and will not do so again. In my opinion the Marriott Grand is a much better hotel with a significantly better location. Better rooms, better service, better ambience.
Old May 21, 2004, 7:19 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I needed this report and the following comments by fellow FTs. Thank you all. Can someone also please comment on the visa process? What is the easiest way for a US males to get a Russian visa? Does the Hotel have something to do with this process? Is there a "Towers" level and if yes a Lounge? What kind of rates are people getting at the Hyatt? Also. If possible can we get that drivers contact info? Would appreciate via FT PM if you do not want to put in full public domain. Thank you all again.
Old May 21, 2004, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the easiest way to get a visa is to go to the Russian Embassy site:http://www.russianembassy.org/

and follow the information for necessary documents. Click on the "travel agencies and visa shops" and use one of them. We use one in arlington VA. Well worth the money. Start early.

There is a decent lounge, a concerige, and decent breakfast and afternoon snacks. With wine last time I looked.
Old May 23, 2004, 9:02 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
RTW,

Yes there is a Towers level floor, but I didn't get upgraded to it (hey, ho). Don't recall if there is a lounge, but you can check out the hotel's website:

http://www.sheraton.com/moscowpalace

As far as visa's go, follow slawecki's advice. You first need an invitation letter before you can get the visa. For tourists, the hotels can generate this. Once you get the invitation letter, you then fill out the form and depending on how quickly you need the visa you pay a lot or a little. Mine was a 24 hour rush job and cost Ł120 just for the expidited processing! I think it's about Ł30 for up to four week processing (no rushing the Russians ) It's a shame it's so complicated to get a visa, but then again, I hear the US isn't a cake walk either...
Old May 24, 2004, 11:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Russia Visa

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I needed this report and the following comments by fellow FTs. Thank you all. Can someone also please comment on the visa process? What is the easiest way for a US males to get a Russian visa? Does the Hotel have something to do with this process? Is there a "Towers" level and if yes a Lounge? What kind of rates are people getting at the Hyatt? Also. If possible can we get that drivers contact info? Would appreciate via FT PM if you do not want to put in full public domain. Thank you all again.
If you need a Russian Visa, I have an excellent Visa service. He is an expert on dealing with Russia and CIS visas. Costs a bit more, but well worth it as the Visa he gets you is much more flexible and you do not need all of the letters. He is fast and easy to work with. Still, I have not had to deal with the new US male Visa issues. Contact me for details.

I have not been to the Moscow Sheraton for two years, but I do not remember a lounge.
Old Jul 5, 2004, 5:31 pm

Location: Memphis, TN USA UA 1K, NW Platinum, AA Gold, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Gold
The Sheraton is a Very Nice Hotel!

My wife and I spend nearly a month at the Sheraton in Moscow in late November into late December. The weather was cold as would be expected. It is always great to see it snow, as it indicates a warmer day than when it does not snow.

The Seafood Restaurant that is in the Hotel block (at the corner) is quite good and the Cavier is WONDERFUL!!!

You can hire a driver for the time of your stay (with interpreter) if you desire and can be quite helpful. TGIF is about 2 km down Tveraskya (toward the Kremlin) as is McDonalds (the first one in Moscow.) The Pizza place next to the seafood place is really very good, and is open late and not that expensive. I will warn you that the 25% VAT is heap! There is also a nice shoe store (going in the opposite direction on Tveraskya) about 1 km, on the same side of the street at the hotel. I bought a pair of shoes there (pikolinos) and wish I had another pair now!

The Hotel staff are nice, and they do recognize Platinum Status. I was upgraded to a nice 2 room, 2 bathroom suite. The room service is reasonably good. The beef Stroganoff was good, and the Lamb Chops are wonderful. The laundry services were very expensive. It was about $4.00 to clean a pair of underwear/undershirt and sock were about $3.00 a pair. You get the idea. Also Internet connection charges per minute are outrageous!!!!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For bulk Caviar, left out of the hotel, about 3 blocks, right and about 3 more blocks to the covered market. It is in bulk, must be at least 10kg available.

Along that route is a modern food store that looks like it came out of modern Scandinavia. They have a decent (and expensive) wine selection.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I stayed at the Sheraton Palace in March.

As for the hotel recognizing Platinum status, YMMV - I was placed in a standard queen room.

Also, the subway station is not 15 minutes away. In fact, there are two stations within a five minute walk and there are underground sidewalks adjacent to the hotel which allow you to walk underneath and around the aforementioned nasty intersections.

A word of advice - don't use the taxis - they are ridiculously expensive. Learn some basic cyrillic letters and take the subway - it's without a doubt the cheapest, most efficient and most beautiful subway system in the world.

Here are some photos of the Sheraton palace from my stay in March - this is a standard queen room:

View down Tverskaya Yamskaya from my hotel room:
http://www.gnedge.com/travel/russia/...hotel_room.jpg

Hotel Room:
http://www.gnedge.com/travel/russia/Hotel_Room.jpg

-Geoffrey
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
I am getting stressed about an upcoming stay (in September) at this hotel (part award, part $). I emailed the property nearly 48 hours ago to ask if it's ok for us to check out for one night and leave one bag at the property while we travel to Suzdal. No response. This is not exactly a good sign. I wouldn't be so panicked except that I'm already worried about the visa, where to stay in Suzdal, you name it. Am I freaking out for no reason?
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:46 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CheapSk8
I am getting stressed about an upcoming stay (in September) at this hotel (part award, part $). I emailed the property nearly 48 hours ago to ask if it's ok for us to check out for one night and leave one bag at the property while we travel to Suzdal. No response. This is not exactly a good sign. I wouldn't be so panicked except that I'm already worried about the visa, where to stay in Suzdal, you name it. Am I freaking out for no reason?
Leaving your bag with them shouldn't be a problem, but if you want peace of mind, just give the front desk a quick call at 011 +7 095 931-9700
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I've stayed at the Sheraton and I've also stayed at the Marriott Grand. I highly recommend the latter. The Marriott Grand has the best security of any hotel I've seen anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.