Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits

Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
This thread is for discussion of the new benefits & fee structure announced in June 2015. For general discussion of the SPG Amex, see SPG American Express [Master Thread].

Will the additional cardholders on my Starwood Business Amex account get access to the Sheraton Club lounge? What about guests in additional rooms I'm also paying for?
"This benefit is for Basic Card Members only on Starpoint Eligible Rate reservations...Sheraton Club lounge access is limited to the eligible Card Member and a guest staying in the same room for the duration of the stay, regardless of how many rooms have been reserved." (See Starwood FAQs.)
Which hotel brands with the Sheraton name will offer the lounge benefit?
The benefit is offered at all Sheraton-branded properties, including Sheraton Grand hotels, with the exception of any Luxury Collection property. It is not available at Four Points by Sheraton hotels.
Wiil I still get Club access if I book my stay with points or cash+points?
Per Starwood Lurker in post #104, yes.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker IV
With the enhanced product benefits, the new annual fee will increase from $65 to $95 effective August 11, 2015.

[email protected]

I sure am glad my AF is due in July then!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by pdx1M
So really, dropping the FTF just gets Amex business that they would have lost otherwise.
Isn't that the entire intent from their point of view for them to do this? @:-)
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Big Meh.

I wish we could pass on these "enhancements" and keep the $65 fee. Basically a bunch of stuff nobody wants or already has for $30 more? Disappointing as a long time SPG Amex holder.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:50 pm

Card holder for a 2.5-3 years now. This is a big bummer as well for me. It seems that the premium credit card space isn't very innovative, and becoming more crowded.

As other mentions, there are a number of premium cards that have overlapping benefits. This price increase only makes this card have to live up to increased scrutiny now - as we all recognize that the benefits are really a stretch in some regard. As no one gets a free category 1-4 or 1-5 certificate every year with this program.

If we got a category 1-3 certificate even; it would make the card seem priced right. Otherwise this is, as others say, becoming a questionable card to own.

Really, how many Boingo cards do I need - unless you are talking Boingo in a plane - you aren't talking the Boingo that any of us care to hear about.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:52 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by remymartin
+100, and new markets. It's tiring to read about these US-only promos.
Originally Posted by George Kyriakos
I might as well ask this directly, Lurkers...

...Any plans for the international cards? I'm personally interested in the UK version which at the very least I'd love to see get an additional Starpoint for booking SPG hotels, in par with the US card (currently Ł1 = 1 Starpoint, regardless of what you spend).
Totally agree with remymartin and George Kyriakos. I have two of these cards from Canada; paying $120 + 150 = $270 in annual fees and don't get anywhere near the benefits that the US card holders get.

I would love to see a break on the annual fee or benefits that are more in line with the US card.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
The thing is that the no-FTF is really more a benefit to Amex these days because it is hard to imagine a regular traveler who doesn't already have 1 or more cards that have no FTF. So really, dropping the FTF just gets Amex business that they would have lost otherwise. Also, as has been pointed out elsewhere, it takes 1K of spend to break even on the FTF in any case. So I certainly see less than $30 value in dropping the FTF (and I do spend well above the 1K internationally annually but just do it on the CSP card which has very good benefits.
You have summed this up pretty well. Dropping the FTF, just gives the consumer another option to consider when they travel overseas. I am sure there are those cardholders who valued SPG points so high that they probably still used the SPG AMEX card overseas and now that they see this "new" benefit, they will think it's a better value even with the $30 increase in annual fee.

The ironic thing is I know many people have posted on FT sharing their opinion about how one of the negatives with the SPG AMEX was the FTF. AMEX now drops the FTF, but increases the annual fee by $30 and people aren't happy. My guess is that if the FTF that one would have accumulated on an international trip(s) was that much annually then the points earned would well offset the increase in the annual fee.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:36 pm

Hmmm, looks like a big push for me to cancel the card.

Generally spend $30-50K on this card in the past few years. But the new benefits seem useless to me.

Fx fee - too many cards waive the fee, especially Chase CSP, which is what I generally use abroad.
Boingo - totally useless. Not to mention my unlimited data plan for hotspot.
Free internet - don't usually stay with SPG, and it's offered free if book directly with SPG. Not even a Amex benefit!!! So cheap.
Club access - only if I have the chance to stay at SPG, not expecting that.

I was really looking forward to seeing some benefits, like 10000 extra points for spending $30K annually, or free night.

So $95 without any double/triple boonus, or annual points/free night, is just too much for me, comparing with Chase CSP, Chase Ink Plus, and other cards with similar annual fee.

Thanks Amex, finally I could make a decision to cancel the card.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UASPG
To transfer them to an airline program:

- British Airways
- Singapore Airlines
- Southwest
- United Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Korean Air
I don't understand what you're saying here. You can also transfer Starpoints to those programs and at a much better ratio than UR.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Anyone know of other cards that can earn/convert to Starpoints?
Every Amex MR card converts though at a terrible ratio. I wouldn't recommend that route unless its just to top off your Starpoints to do a 20k airline mile transfer.

Last edited by TMM1982; Jun 4, 2015 at 5:10 am
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Amex should waive/credit back the Annual Fee for Plats. Does Chase MP still do this for 1Ks or has that benefit been removed? This along with No FTF is the solution for engineering an enhancement for the most loyal customers.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond

There should be alternate amenities for those who receive these benefits through their status.

TW
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Ever Amex MR card converts though at a terrible ratio. I wouldn't recommend that route unless its just to top off your Starpoints to do a 20k airline mile transfer.
Darn. Starpoints are nice to reduce hotel costs for me. I guess I'll just MS the crap out of this card, hoping that AmEx will cancel the card on me.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by schoflyer
Amex should waive/credit back the Annual Fee for Plats. Does Chase MP still do this for 1Ks or has that benefit been removed? This along with No FTF is the solution for engineering an enhancement for the most loyal customers.
The top tier Plat card that is $140 used to be waived, but now it's just a $60 credit.

Don't think any of the other current cards have annual credits.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Tolarian Wind
There should be alternate amenities for those who receive these benefits through their status.

TW

A BIG +1 on this!!!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:34 am

Actually this is mostly motivation to drop the card for a LT Plat. No FTF is a win but the only win in exchange for a $30 fee increase. I have other non-FTF options. They really should look at how the package of benefits plays for various types of members. A LT Plat looking at the list pretty much is only seeing points and no-FTF.
It actually cost more than the $30 fee increase to get no FTF. Have you ever looked at the T&C's on how Amex does the no FTF transactions?
Lets just say it is in their favor

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.