Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits

Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
This thread is for discussion of the new benefits & fee structure announced in June 2015. For general discussion of the SPG Amex, see SPG American Express [Master Thread].

Will the additional cardholders on my Starwood Business Amex account get access to the Sheraton Club lounge? What about guests in additional rooms I'm also paying for?
"This benefit is for Basic Card Members only on Starpoint Eligible Rate reservations...Sheraton Club lounge access is limited to the eligible Card Member and a guest staying in the same room for the duration of the stay, regardless of how many rooms have been reserved." (See Starwood FAQs.)
Which hotel brands with the Sheraton name will offer the lounge benefit?
The benefit is offered at all Sheraton-branded properties, including Sheraton Grand hotels, with the exception of any Luxury Collection property. It is not available at Four Points by Sheraton hotels.
Wiil I still get Club access if I book my stay with points or cash+points?
Per Starwood Lurker in post #104, yes.
Print Wikipost

American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits

Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Unhappy

Raise the annual fee to $95 for everyone but only the business card gets the lounge access? At Sheratons only? So I need to spend ~$1,000 overseas before the Forex discount is worth it.
YUCK.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Count me in for the not happy group. I have no interest in paying an extra $30 per year for no FTF when I have plenty of FTF-free cards (both from Amex and other issuers). The rest of the benefits are redundant or worthless.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:07 pm

No FTF is great. $30 more per year, with no additional point earning potential, is not.

I'd rather see no Boingo, but 2x points at restaurants. That would be a keeper at $95/year.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
The $30 increase is a bit of a bummer...

Especially for those who have the Platinum card...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UASPG
As the Chase INK credits 2 pts per $ spent at hotels, I guess the choice will be depending what points or miles are most needed at the time a card is handed or entered on spg.com at booking time.

PS: suggestion for the Sheraton lounges
SHERATON GRAND CROWD
Starpoints >>>>>> UR

Unless you're dead set on transferring to Hyatt, I don't really see why someone would opt for UR over Starpoints.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Starpoints >>>>>> UR

Unless you're dead set on transferring to Hyatt, I don't really see why someone would opt for UR over Starpoints.
Mostly because you can earn UR a lot faster. Hyatt through UR looks pretty good in comparison to SPG when you take into account the better UR earn. The points prices aren't that much different in the mid range (eg Hyatt cat 4 at 15K points is roughly comparable to SPG cat 5 at 12K), and Hyatt wins outright in the higher categories where SPG points prices get nuts. SPG is more versatile for airline transfers, but it isn't instant, and it's stayed the same while the competition--including Amex's own MR cards--got a lot stronger.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Weak, weak, weak. No FTF is good, but just gets the card back to minimally competitive with Chase and Citi options, and the other stuff on the personal card is fluff. This card was on the bubble at $65/year. At $95, it's gone when renewal time rolls around.
^
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
As a personal traveler, I very much value the 2 stays / 5 nights the card gets me--- it's not always easy reaching 50 nights without help.

With that said, my renewal date is late July. I'm going to keep it for another year assuming the $65 is still good up to this August 11th date, and then dump it next year when they try to hit me with $95.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by terpzone
As a personal traveler, I very much value the 2 stays / 5 nights the card gets me--- it's not always easy reaching 50 nights without help.

With that said, my renewal date is late July. I'm going to keep it for another year assuming the $65 is still good up to this August 11th date, and then dump it next year when they try to hit me with $95.
Mid-July renewal for me so I don't have to make a decision until mid-2016. I did get a $75 rebate on 3x $50+ purchases at Smart and Final recently, so if I get additional benefits like that, it will cover the entire annual increase plus some. https://sync.americanexpress.com/twi...799C46BD8D69AD

I like the free Boingo wifi; wonder how easy it will be to use.
The FTFs are OK, but like everyone else, I've got cards that don't charge it.
The rest waters down my Plat benefits.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:08 pm

this is ridicouls, 95 for the perks we hardly ever gonna be using considering most airport have free wifi in lounge or starbucks...one beneficial for foreign exchange fee waive is less attractive comparing all the cards out there , totally not worth the 30 increase...hopefully the lurkers can respond our feedback to amex!!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
I might as well ask this directly, Lurkers...

...Any plans for the international cards? I'm personally interested in the UK version which at the very least I'd love to see get an additional Starpoint for booking SPG hotels, in par with the US card (currently £1 = 1 Starpoint, regardless of what you spend).
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
When I first saw the no foreign exchange fee I was pretty happy...that is until I saw the $30 increase which doesn't bring a Starwood Platinum anything for the additional cost.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Mid-July renewal for me so I don't have to make a decision until mid-2016. I did get a $75 rebate on 3x $50+ purchases at Smart and Final recently, so if I get additional benefits like that, it will cover the entire annual increase plus some. https://sync.americanexpress.com/twi...799C46BD8D69AD

I like the free Boingo wifi; wonder how easy it will be to use.
The FTFs are OK, but like everyone else, I've got cards that don't charge it.
The rest waters down my Plat benefits.
small business day is another $30 free for having the card!

I did consider keeping my biz card and paying the $65 just for the 5 nights credit and the $30 for small business saturday, but definitely dumping it once renewal comes around now.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Still no SPG Amex in Singapore...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:43 pm

so what additional perk can personal get for extra 30 if no access to shareton lounge?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.