Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
This thread is for discussion of the new benefits & fee structure announced in June 2015. For general discussion of the SPG Amex, see SPG American Express [Master Thread].

Will the additional cardholders on my Starwood Business Amex account get access to the Sheraton Club lounge? What about guests in additional rooms I'm also paying for?
"This benefit is for Basic Card Members only on Starpoint Eligible Rate reservations...Sheraton Club lounge access is limited to the eligible Card Member and a guest staying in the same room for the duration of the stay, regardless of how many rooms have been reserved." (See Starwood FAQs.)
Which hotel brands with the Sheraton name will offer the lounge benefit?
The benefit is offered at all Sheraton-branded properties, including Sheraton Grand hotels, with the exception of any Luxury Collection property. It is not available at Four Points by Sheraton hotels.
Wiil I still get Club access if I book my stay with points or cash+points?
Per Starwood Lurker in post #104, yes.
Print Wikipost

American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Actually this is mostly motivation to drop the card for a LT Plat. No FTF is a win but the only win in exchange for a $30 fee increase. I have other non-FTF options. They really should look at how the package of benefits plays for various types of members. A LT Plat looking at the list pretty much is only seeing points and no-FTF.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:00 am

Goodbye Starwood Amex. It's been a great 10 years. Nice knowing you.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Exactly, and SPG is trying to change their image of Sheraton and make them more "Grand?"

This is the exact opposite of that.

Of course, leave it to the current SPG team to destroy their brands even further.
This also makes the earned free nights in Sheratons under the upcoming promo a lot less appealing. We can count on the lounge conditions being worse after the credit card changes take effect in Auguest.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker IV
· Earn up to 5 Starpoints® on purchases at participating SPG hotels
I do not understand why Starwood and American Express persist in making this misleading claim. The card awards two points per dollar at Starwood properties. Period. There is no "up to". There is no "5". All of the other points are earned with any form of payment.

Last edited by mia; Jun 3, 2015 at 9:30 am
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2141 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Hopefully a new and improved Canadian SPG AMEX is in the works
+1!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mia
I do not understand why Starwood and American Express persist in making this misleading claim. The card award two points per dollar at Starwood properties. Period. There is no "up to". There is no "5". All of the other points are earned with any form of payment.
So everyone gets two additional SPG points per dollar for Starwood stays (and other Starwood purchases, such as meals while not a guest and gift shop items?) that are charged to this credit card, currently and after the August changes? And presumably one point per dollar for other purchases (not including Starwood charges, where you implicitly get the one regular point per dollar plus one more because it's Starwood), also unchanged?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So everyone gets ...
The incremental value of paying for a Starwood stay with the SPG credit card is 2 Starpoints per dollar.

• 2 base points from SPG for staying at a Starwood property, any method of payment
  • 1 bonus point from SPG for elite status
  • 1 base point from American Express for spending a dollar
  • 1 bonus point from American Express for spending at a Starwood property
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: MPO, Aeroplan, SPG
Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2141 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Hopefully a new and improved Canadian SPG AMEX is in the works
LOL Do you think Starwood Amex will care about how bad the Canadian SPG AMEX card is? $120 annual fee (not even waived the first year), no extra points at SPG stays and FTF. I would only recommend this card for the bonus points (which is less than the US card) and never use it after.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by BryanL
LOL Do you think Starwood Amex will care about how bad the Canadian SPG AMEX card is? $120 annual fee (not even waived the first year), no extra points at SPG stays and FTF. I would only recommend this card for the bonus points (which is less than the US card) and never use it after.
Personally, no forex fees would be a big one. I got the Marriott Visa for this reason alone. Other than that, the MV is not great. I would like the excuse to cancel it!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Weak, weak, weak. No FTF is good, but just gets the card back to minimally competitive with Chase and Citi options, and the other stuff on the personal card is fluff. This card was on the bubble at $65/year. At $95, it's gone when renewal time rolls around.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
So how much do I have to spend overseas each year to equal out the increase in the annual fee? Please Amex tell me how much I have to spend!

Oh wait. I can use my Centurion already for overseas spend?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by ckendall
Hallelujah!
That's also the first word that came to my mind, after I saw the announcement - finally!
Now, I have to calculate if the $95.00 fee is worth me getting back the card. It seems overpriced.
I obviously do not like at all that the card now includes the Sheraton lounge access. This perk should be earned or paid for (specific room rates).
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by G2244
So the lounge access is only for the business version of the card?
The AMEX Open program is only for small businesses. Presumably the CEO of the business which is the primary card holder already has some SPG status so the impact on lounge crowding would be pretty minimum. It really depends on who gets access outside of the primary card holder.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by RAPC
Great news for US card holders - these look like genuinely useful enhancements.

Now if you can just follow-up by making the UK card useful, then I would be much obliged For now, I shall just look on enviously across the Atlantic.
+100, and new markets. It's tiring to read about these US-only promos.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Amex Starwood business or Chase INK?

As the Chase INK credits 2 pts per $ spent at hotels, I guess the choice will be depending what points or miles are most needed at the time a card is handed or entered on spg.com at booking time.

PS: suggestion for the Sheraton lounges
SHERATON GRAND CROWD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.