FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1684740-american-express-starwood-enhance-cobrand-credit-card-benefits.html)

7Continents Jun 3, 2015 11:19 am

Raise the annual fee to $95 for everyone but only the business card gets the lounge access? At Sheratons only? So I need to spend ~$1,000 overseas before the Forex discount is worth it.
YUCK.

WheelsFirst Jun 3, 2015 11:55 am

Count me in for the not happy group. I have no interest in paying an extra $30 per year for no FTF when I have plenty of FTF-free cards (both from Amex and other issuers). The rest of the benefits are redundant or worthless.

NYCRuss Jun 3, 2015 12:07 pm

No FTF is great. $30 more per year, with no additional point earning potential, is not.

I'd rather see no Boingo, but 2x points at restaurants. That would be a keeper at $95/year.

joeypore Jun 3, 2015 12:52 pm

The $30 increase is a bit of a bummer...

Especially for those who have the Platinum card...

TMM1982 Jun 3, 2015 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by UASPG (Post 24913003)
As the Chase INK credits 2 pts per $ spent at hotels, I guess the choice will be depending what points or miles are most needed at the time a card is handed or entered on spg.com at booking time.

PS: suggestion for the Sheraton lounges
SHERATON GRAND CROWD

Starpoints >>>>>> UR

Unless you're dead set on transferring to Hyatt, I don't really see why someone would opt for UR over Starpoints.

WrightHI Jun 3, 2015 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 24913631)
Starpoints >>>>>> UR

Unless you're dead set on transferring to Hyatt, I don't really see why someone would opt for UR over Starpoints.

Mostly because you can earn UR a lot faster. Hyatt through UR looks pretty good in comparison to SPG when you take into account the better UR earn. The points prices aren't that much different in the mid range (eg Hyatt cat 4 at 15K points is roughly comparable to SPG cat 5 at 12K), and Hyatt wins outright in the higher categories where SPG points prices get nuts. SPG is more versatile for airline transfers, but it isn't instant, and it's stayed the same while the competition--including Amex's own MR cards--got a lot stronger.

MileKing Jun 3, 2015 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by WrightHI (Post 24912655)
Weak, weak, weak. No FTF is good, but just gets the card back to minimally competitive with Chase and Citi options, and the other stuff on the personal card is fluff. This card was on the bubble at $65/year. At $95, it's gone when renewal time rolls around.

^

terpzone Jun 3, 2015 2:43 pm

As a personal traveler, I very much value the 2 stays / 5 nights the card gets me--- it's not always easy reaching 50 nights without help.

With that said, my renewal date is late July. I'm going to keep it for another year assuming the $65 is still good up to this August 11th date, and then dump it next year when they try to hit me with $95.

iflyjetz Jun 3, 2015 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by terpzone (Post 24914210)
As a personal traveler, I very much value the 2 stays / 5 nights the card gets me--- it's not always easy reaching 50 nights without help.

With that said, my renewal date is late July. I'm going to keep it for another year assuming the $65 is still good up to this August 11th date, and then dump it next year when they try to hit me with $95.

Mid-July renewal for me so I don't have to make a decision until mid-2016. I did get a $75 rebate on 3x $50+ purchases at Smart and Final recently, so if I get additional benefits like that, it will cover the entire annual increase plus some. https://sync.americanexpress.com/twi...799C46BD8D69AD

I like the free Boingo wifi; wonder how easy it will be to use.
The FTFs are OK, but like everyone else, I've got cards that don't charge it.
The rest waters down my Plat benefits.

Furyleader Jun 3, 2015 3:08 pm

this is ridicouls, 95 for the perks we hardly ever gonna be using considering most airport have free wifi in lounge or starbucks...one beneficial for foreign exchange fee waive is less attractive comparing all the cards out there , totally not worth the 30 increase...hopefully the lurkers can respond our feedback to amex!!

George K Jun 3, 2015 3:21 pm

I might as well ask this directly, Lurkers...

...Any plans for the international cards? I'm personally interested in the UK version which at the very least I'd love to see get an additional Starpoint for booking SPG hotels, in par with the US card (currently £1 = 1 Starpoint, regardless of what you spend).

christianj Jun 3, 2015 3:23 pm

When I first saw the no foreign exchange fee I was pretty happy...that is until I saw the $30 increase which doesn't bring a Starwood Platinum anything for the additional cost.

terpzone Jun 3, 2015 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz (Post 24914322)
Mid-July renewal for me so I don't have to make a decision until mid-2016. I did get a $75 rebate on 3x $50+ purchases at Smart and Final recently, so if I get additional benefits like that, it will cover the entire annual increase plus some. https://sync.americanexpress.com/twi...799C46BD8D69AD

I like the free Boingo wifi; wonder how easy it will be to use.
The FTFs are OK, but like everyone else, I've got cards that don't charge it.
The rest waters down my Plat benefits.

small business day is another $30 free for having the card!

I did consider keeping my biz card and paying the $65 just for the 5 nights credit and the $30 for small business saturday, but definitely dumping it once renewal comes around now.

lcpteck Jun 3, 2015 3:41 pm

Still no SPG Amex in Singapore... :(

Furyleader Jun 3, 2015 3:43 pm

so what additional perk can personal get for extra 30 if no access to shareton lounge?