Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

7 tech innovations from Starwood’s test lab

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 9:17 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)

Full article here: http://www.hotelnewsnow.com/Article/...woods-test-lab

I'm surprised by the tech-heavy potential investments at Four Points of all their brands... Some of this stuff just sounds pointless. The smart floor tiles are the only thing I think I'd personally care for, but even then, not very much at all. Can see it being annoying at times too.

Anways, enjoy...

Seven of the top ideas Starwood is working on include:

1. Electronic concierge message
After opening the door of their Aloft room, guests will trigger an automated welcome message downloaded to their smartphone that takes them through the room’s main features. Designed for the first-time guest (but also with repeat guests, who could benefit from a refresher, in mind), the brief overview allows guests to derive the most benefit out of the experience. More detailed questions can be directed to the front desk.

2. Custom wake-up with coffee
Gone are the days when guests wake up in the morning strictly with a telephone call from the front desk (automated no less). Soon guests—again at Aloft—will be able to program the time in the morning they’d like their in-room coffee to start brewing. If the smell of the coffee doesn’t do the trick, they can program their playlist so the sound of music rouses them from sleep.

Similarly, they will be able to program the light effects they want in their room at any time of the day. Gradient light simulating sunrise is one example.

Increasingly, such upgrades play into the mindset of today’s traveler, McGuinness noted.

“They’re tech-savvy and like to have options when they travel. In fact, our research indicates they tend to be more interested in acquiring experiences than stuff,” he said.

A decade ago, residential design was seen as leading hotel design, but now that dynamic has reversed, McGuinness said.

“Seen another way, consumers who have sophisticated technology built into their homes are going to expect to find the same conveniences when they check into a hotel,” he said.

3. Recipes on a touchscreen
When Starwood initially launched Element, it was positioned as an upscale extended-stay brand. That positioning continues, though it has since taken on a sustainable, green positioning as well. Consequently, each guestroom comes with a full kitchen.

While leading the tour in an Element concept room, McGuinness pointed out a touchscreen cookbook on the wall. For long-stay guests who want to prepare their own meals, the cookbook will provide numerous choices. Foodies also will be welcome to upload their own favorite recipes for others to try.

4. Recharging in comfort
Element guests will be able to recharge their devices while sitting under an outdoor canopy made up of colorful solar panels. This upgrade is being piloted at the Element Dallas Fort Worth Airport.

5. Smart floor tiles
Tiles implanted with radio-frequency identification technology will be installed in the flooring of Element guestrooms. When guests step on the tiles by the side of the bed, they light the way to the bathroom, preventing guests from stumbling in the dark.

6. Side-by-side big-screen TVs
Executives’ plans for the Four Points by Sheraton brand include outfitting guestrooms with two flat-screen televisions mounted next to each other on the same wall. For guests traveling by themselves, it allows the person to watch two sporting events simultaneously, for example. And with wireless headphones included, the upgrade will allow each member of a couple to watch his or her movie of choice without disturbing the other.

7. Digital mirrors
Floor-length mirrors in Four Points guestrooms will start doubling as the morning newspaper when they’re embedded with touchscreen applications that reveal the day’s headlines as well as the weather and the latest sports scores.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
All good fun, but not particularly useful.

How about keeping it simpler? An in-room surround sound system with full Spotify or that you can stream sound and video to from a modern phone.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:49 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
All good fun, but not particularly useful.

How about keeping it simpler? An in-room surround sound system with full Spotify or that you can stream sound and video to from a modern phone.
Exactly! Would love to see this! We see iOS integration in everything from cars to TVs. An iOS integrated hotel room is long overdue (and of course other mobile platforms too). Surely hotels aren't making THAT much any more from Pay TV that they'd hold on to it. I guess the only barrier would be that their wifi/internet systems would require major overhauls (and contract negotiations I guess with the likes of Swisscom et al).
Old May 29, 2015, 9:59 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I would settle for the following:

- adequate electrical outlets/charging stations on desk and by the nightstands

- alarm clock that keeps time accurately and automatically updates and is accurate. I have had the same atomic alarm clock for 10 years... why cant hotels have them? Mine cost $12!

Last edited by wharvey; May 29, 2015 at 10:11 am
Old May 29, 2015, 10:03 am
JK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
This would be my #1
Old May 29, 2015, 11:08 am

I like the coffee idea, not that making coffee in the morning is labor intensive or time consuming, but it would be nice to have a cup ready and waiting when I wake up.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
More android integration is needed since more people, world-wide, own an android device. Docking stations and streaming to the hotels TV would be helpful. I would love to watch Hulu/Netflix on the TV.

The tech investment at the four points and Aloft makes sense as that is where 20 somethings are going to stay. I am a little surprised they don't mention the W.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
How about we start with curtains that close properly and seal to the walls!

Sounds simple but seems so difficult, I am sure there must be a way this can be technically achieved
Old May 29, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
I'd settle for being able to download my folios from past stays, but I guess that is too innovated.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Notice that all these ideas are big on splash and little on substance. Except the coffeemakers. As someone who doesn't drink it I was surprised they aren't programmable already. Don't most people have that in their homes since 1990?
Old May 30, 2015, 4:16 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
I thought coffee machines came equipped with a timer more than a decade ago?

A really smart room would be to have 2+ USB ports on the night stand and a smart-er TV. Walk in and your channel/ iTunes/ Sling TV/ HBO etc comes on and resumes immediately. They should also enable the ambient sensor so the backlight dims in the dark.

I thought hotels had existing technology to know if the guest is up, so the tile would be unnecessary. That room tour should play on the TV (not your phone) as you enter the room.

They should really make HDTV a brand standard, especially in Asia where properties opened this year still uses analog aerial reception!!

Last edited by miloworld; May 30, 2015 at 4:26 am
Old May 30, 2015, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I would settle for the following:

agreed with this. Don't need any fancypants digital charging wither. Just outlets that work.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
- alarm clock that keeps time accurately and automatically updates and is accurate. I have had the same atomic alarm clock for 10 years... why cant hotels have them? Mine cost $12!
And which won't allow previous guests to put the alarm on for 3:30am.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by miloworld
I thought coffee machines came equipped with a timer more than a decade ago?

A really smart room would be to have 2+ USB ports on the night stand and a smart-er TV. Walk in and your channel/ iTunes/ Sling TV/ HBO etc comes on and resumes immediately. They should also enable the ambient sensor so the backlight dims in the dark.

I thought hotels had existing technology to know if the guest is up, so the tile would be unnecessary. That room tour should play on the TV (not your phone) as you enter the room.

They should really make HDTV a brand standard, especially in Asia where properties opened this year still uses analog aerial reception!!
It was more like two or three decades for the programable coffee makers. I got one in the early 1990s and they weren't a new thing then.

OMNI hotels have a low tech approach to this: Anyone with a frequent guest number is given door tags at check in for a free morning beverage to be delivered by room service at the desired time. You specify whether you want them to knock and leave it outside your door or actually deliver it into the room. It was better in the past when you could add a breakfast pastry or toast/English muffin (but nothing more complicated) as a simple light breakfast for a couple dollars with no room service delivery charge.

I've been in hotels where labor is cheap that do the same. I recall one cheap chain hotel in North Carolina that brought Tang (powdered orange juice drink) in a styrofoam cup at the time of your wakeup call.

In Starwoods, if there's butler service, they tend to offer coffee delivery when you request a wake up call. It's nice as long as they don't forget.

This could be a very useful function for the new aloft roving robots. Instead of the fancy coffee coupon for the market, give elites the option to order coffee via robot in the morning.
Old May 30, 2015, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
I'd settle for being able to download my folios from past stays, but I guess that is too innovated.
I would prefer to have it added to your account as it is with Hyatt and Hilton in N.A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.