Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poo in the Sheets

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 1:38 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Every Day peoples shoes walk the streets, and pass over numerous remnants of Dog Feces .

These same shoes then check into a hotel Bedroom, I sleep barefooted and then go to the restroom in the night.

How do I claim off a hotel?

Of course a similar thing happens at TSA check-points all day and every day..but then thats for National Security LOL
Old May 31, 2015, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
OP back here.

The credit for the room hit my card yesterday. I've decided that's enough for me, along with some hard lessons learned. We were repeat visitors to this Aloft (close to our friends in Brooklyn) but will not stay at that property again. I gave Lurker the details for the stay and he'll document the incident and send an alert to franchise/brand reps. That's good.

My wife had a few (barely open) blisters on her toes from snorkeling in St. Maarten right before this stay, and that's where the majority of the health concerns came from. I believe we'll be fine.

I see the skeptics are out and that's nice for a chuckle. ^ Thanks boys.

I guess the positive light of this post is to raise a little awareness. Check your bed, man. There could be something a little gnarly down there.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by droidcore
OP back here.

The credit for the room hit my card yesterday. I've decided that's enough for me, along with some hard lessons learned. We were repeat visitors to this Aloft (close to our friends in Brooklyn) but will not stay at that property again. I gave Lurker the details for the stay and he'll document the incident and send an alert to franchise/brand reps. That's good.

My wife had a few (barely open) blisters on her toes from snorkeling in St. Maarten right before this stay, and that's where the majority of the health concerns came from. I believe we'll be fine.

I guess the positive light of this post is to raise a little awareness. Check your bed, man. There could be something a little gnarly down there.
Emphasis mine.

Hard lessons learned? I doubt anyone (yourself included) will do poop-checks in every corner of their hotel room. After all, next time, perhaps the poop could be hiding on the closet shelf, and what if you put your shirt on it without realizing, and then accidentally wear it without smelling it. Will you be examining every surface in every hotel room now? Even when you arrive late, and are exhausted?

Your wife's "barely open" blisters likely come in more contact with fecal matter just by walking barefoot around your home. Flushing your toilet with the seat up, walking around with your shoes that are worn outdoors etc. all spread significant amounts of fecal matter all over your house.

Raising a little awareness is helpful for meaningful issues that are likely to occur again. I think one other person in this thread has suggested that a similar event has happened in their SPG room. So what do you truly think the odds of it happening again are?
Old May 31, 2015, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Miami305
Emphasis mine.

Hard lessons learned? I doubt anyone (yourself included) will do poop-checks in every corner of their hotel room. After all, next time, perhaps the poop could be hiding on the closet shelf, and what if you put your shirt on it without realizing, and then accidentally wear it without smelling it. Will you be examining every surface in every hotel room now? Even when you arrive late, and are exhausted?

Your wife's "barely open" blisters likely come in more contact with fecal matter just by walking barefoot around your home. Flushing your toilet with the seat up, walking around with your shoes that are worn outdoors etc. all spread significant amounts of fecal matter all over your house.

Raising a little awareness is helpful for meaningful issues that are likely to occur again. I think one other person in this thread has suggested that a similar event has happened in their SPG room. So what do you truly think the odds of it happening again are?
I could respond to you, but I'd be wasting my time. Have a nice Sunday.
Old May 31, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
OP back here.

Droidcore you are to be commended. It's obvious you didn't manufacture the incident as claimed by some. Glad to see your subtle putdown of the a$$hole$, I mean skeptics.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
To the OP: Well handled. I would have asked for more, as that is absolutely disgusting.

FT amazes me. Every single time a legitimate issue is posted someone pulls the "the OP is entitled and it's part of life" card. Unreal. To the OP, I hope you and the Mrs. are OK. What you went through is 100% unacceptable. I stood in poo water, you slept in poo. YUCK! Shudders. Thankfully other FTers posted their regret in clicking the link, so i didn't
Old May 31, 2015, 11:51 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by chocolate_button
I have to agree with the above poster. How do we not know that the OP or his wife aren't the culprits. Maybe she was too embarrassed to let her husband know that she had an "accident" and therefore blamed it on poor housekeeping. Just a thought.
Because it looked dry. Moving on...

As someone who is no stranger to a disgusting bed *cough*W Hollywood*cough*cough* I'm glad that you've reached an amicable resolution. I'm disappointed to hear that the Aloft Brooklyn is gross. I've never stayed there myself, but generally like Aloft as a brand. We have a couple of (tragic) family events coming up, so I will be mindful of the OP when making arrangements for out-of-town family or friends.
Old May 31, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, KLM Platinum, Air Berlin gold, HHonors Gold, SPG gold
Absolutely disgusting and unacceptable from any hotel, let alone a 'better' SPG hotel. Not that I would ever stay in Brooklyn - prefer the city - but if I do this is one hotel I'll avoid at all costs. It beggars belief that some would justify poo on the sheets by saying poo is everywhere... that picture looks like someone dropped one in bed!
Old May 31, 2015, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by tingadingling
Absolutely disgusting and unacceptable from any hotel, let alone a 'better' SPG hotel. Not that I would ever stay in Brooklyn - prefer the city - but if I do this is one hotel I'll avoid at all costs. It beggars belief that some would justify poo on the sheets by saying poo is everywhere... that picture looks like someone dropped one in bed!
What do you mean by "better"? It's an Aloft. The Aloft is not a top tier brand or "better" brand to me, which is why I'm asking.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Done and done. I also check hotel room toilet seats upon check-in. Something can also be staring you in the face.
Old May 31, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Whoa, someone at Aloft really .... the bed!!!

Originally Posted by chocolate_button
I have to agree with the above poster. How do we not know that the OP or his wife aren't the culprits. Maybe she was too embarrassed to let her husband know that she had an "accident" and therefore blamed it on poor housekeeping. Just a thought.
Yep. Probably a mitigating factor that will inhibit OP from maximizing compensation.

Best to check the sheets before going to bed. A turd in the hand is worth two in the bush, right?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
A friend of mine brings her own pillow-cases to hotels and flip flops for the shower, which I always thought a bit much, as I will only do a cursory walk-about of the room upon check-in. I'm glad you got a full refund, but I would think SPG would be a bit more generous for alerting them to the fact that one of their properties may have some serious sanitation issues. Over Memorial Day week-end, we got 5K SPG points after finding two dead flies in a pasta dish at the hotel restaurant. Obviously we didn't eat there again, but wow, poo in a bed is on whole different level of totally disgusting. Thanks for the cautionary tale.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
As a youngster, and at my mother's suggestion, I used to visit friends with a duvet cover. I would sleep inside the duvet cover (bottom sheet and top sheet all in one!), and they didn't have to change the bed (well, apart from the pillowcase, but that's a lot easier than changing the whole bed!)
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
A friend of mine brings her own pillow-cases to hotels and flip flops for the shower, which I always thought a bit much, as I will only do a cursory walk-about of the room upon check-in. I'm glad you got a full refund, but I would think SPG would be a bit more generous for alerting them to the fact that one of their properties may have some serious sanitation issues. Over Memorial Day week-end, we got 5K SPG points after finding two dead flies in a pasta dish at the hotel restaurant. Obviously we didn't eat there again, but wow, poo in a bed is on whole different level of totally disgusting. Thanks for the cautionary tale.
You'd think they'd want to make a goodwill gesture to keep the damage to the minimum possible. Not hush money but positive spin. Guess Aloft Brooklyn isn't that smart.

Last edited by Aventine; Jun 1, 2015 at 9:48 am
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
As a youngster, and at my mother's suggestion, I used to visit friends with a duvet cover. I would sleep inside the duvet cover (bottom sheet and top sheet all in one!), and they didn't have to change the bed (well, apart from the pillowcase, but that's a lot easier than changing the whole bed!)
I think the sleeping sacks or whatever they're called that hostels encourage guests to bring would be the same idea. They're basically thin sleeping bags made of sheets with no padding for warmth. Someone who's concerned could easily travel with one of these things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.