Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, 12 year ex AA CK, AA LT PLT, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver
Mrs gg and I will be at the St Regis Maldvies Nov 20 to 26 for our Honeymoon. If anyone is going to be there too let me know. She is keen to find someone to play some tennis with... I do not play.
bhrubin and CanadianGeese like this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:47 am

Butler Tip

Currently staying at the resort and was wondering what do you tip your Personal butler?

Not asking him to do much. He will pick up in the club car, bring complimentary coconuts and sweets daily, may have fold clothes before leaving.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by robdls
Currently staying at the resort and was wondering what do you tip your Personal butler?

Not asking him to do much. He will pick up in the club car, bring complimentary coconuts and sweets daily, may have fold clothes before leaving.

Thanks for any advice!
Would like to know this too!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:15 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by robdls

Thanks for any advice!
Historically, we most often tip our butler when we have a specific butler for the entire stay, which is rare, or tip the butler team for other more common stays. It has varied usually between $10-50 per day if I recall correctly, depending on how much we needed them and how helpful we felt they were. When we have only had different butlers for coffee service and packing/unpacking, we have not always left a tip. Once we had our own butler in a very amazing circumstance and tipped her $500 over our 6 night stay.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by griffingrowl
Mrs gg and I will be at the St Regis Maldvies Nov 20 to 26 for our Honeymoon. If anyone is going to be there too let me know. She is keen to find someone to play some tennis with... I do not play.
gg - looks like i'll be overlapping with you from Nov 20-23. I'll be down for a few rounds of tennis, but I must say that I am not that good.
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz, SPG, Amex MR, Mahalo Rewards
Originally Posted by nohbdy
Flight award availability being what it is may have us arriving 3 nights before our stay here (can't change the Vommuli dates as it was booked under an award promo). Is there anywhere close to MLE that doesn't require a sea plane transfer and is worth staying for a few days ?
Which promo was it?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:34 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nohbdy
Flight award availability being what it is may have us arriving 3 nights before our stay here (can't change the Vommuli dates as it was booked under an award promo). Is there anywhere close to MLE that doesn't require a sea plane transfer and is worth staying for a few days ?
The Four Seasons Kuda Huraa property is an easy 25 min speedboat ride from MLE.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:43 pm

There are quite many resorts very close to MLE. In addition to FS Kuda Huraa, there’s Gili Lankanfushi, Taj Exotica, One and Only Reethi Rah, the three Anantara properties, among others...
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by elhumano
Which promo was it?
I'm guessing the original 30K per night + 5th night free.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
We are thinking of coming here soon -- question, is it really that much better than W or even Sheraton? The dates we looking have the cheapest rate at $1700 for STR, while the W is $878 and the Sheraton only $350. I am partial to StR. Typically the W style doesn't fit me but at half the price of StR...

Or would it be worth doing 10 nights at StR and then 10 nights somewhere else or is the transportation too big an issue?

We might be 15-20 people, with several much more mature folks, so this might be their only chance to make it to Maldives. Just need to balance value as the costs seem like they could be very high here...thanks for any suggestions. I don't mind spending money but don't want to waste it
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:08 pm

StR is the only Starwood property that had any appeal to me, and I am actually extremely interested in it. I would never go near the W.

Over 15 people?! You should be negotiating rates for a larger group, possibly including larger villas.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP
We are thinking of coming here soon -- question, is it really that much better than W or even Sheraton? The dates we looking have the cheapest rate at $1700 for STR, while the W is $878 and the Sheraton only $350. I am partial to StR. Typically the W style doesn't fit me but at half the price of StR...

Or would it be worth doing 10 nights at StR and then 10 nights somewhere else or is the transportation too big an issue?

We might be 15-20 people, with several much more mature folks, so this might be their only chance to make it to Maldives. Just need to balance value as the costs seem like they could be very high here...thanks for any suggestions. I don't mind spending money but don't want to waste it
If snorkelling is a priority, check the condition of the reef. The StR snorkelling experience was exactly the opposite of what I expected from the Maldives - it was more akin to a midrange Caribbean resort. The construction and the bleaching basically killed the reef and I doubt it's back yet.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:39 pm

Good to know on coral - yes that would be a priority. I always thought StR and Maldives in general would have spectacular coral. Trying to get son to be interested in scuba diving when he gets older in a few years. Thanks for tip. This makes me wonder if we should go elsewhere...

Yes, we often end up traveling in family groups and often 1 one of us ends up paying... rack up the points. And this shows importance of loyalty programs.

We did 22 people in Hawaii a couple of years ago. Rest of family wanted four seasons but I pushed Westin for my loyalty. Probably should have done 4 seasons... at least we did str kuaai which was pretty nice. I am not sure why co think people staying at nicer properties don’t want loyalty programs that are meaningful...

Now if we can get Marriott to buy out Singita or wilderness safaris!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Good to know on coral - yes that would be a priority. I always thought StR and Maldives in general would have spectacular coral. Trying to get son to be interested in scuba diving when he gets older in a few years. Thanks for tip. This makes me wonder if we should go elsewhere...

Yes, we often end up traveling in family groups and often 1 one of us ends up paying... rack up the points. And this shows importance of loyalty programs.

We did 22 people in Hawaii a couple of years ago. Rest of family wanted four seasons but I pushed Westin for my loyalty. Probably should have done 4 seasons... at least we did str kuaai which was pretty nice. I am not sure why co think people staying at nicer properties don’t want loyalty programs that are meaningful...

Now if we can get Marriott to buy out Singita or wilderness safaris!
That's exactly it; I came in looking for amazing lagoon snorkeling, and most certainly didn't get that. If you take a boat out, it's better - we went on a nice ride out to the remote reefs, and it was more alive - but the pictures that you see of the Maldives, was not what we saw at all. So I dunno. I was, (still am, actually), searching for something that trumps Rarotonga and Aitutaki, and I've so far completely failed - Maldives was supposed to be *it*, but it ultimately wasn't. That said, I wouldn't generalise this to all hotels, of course - just the StR is relatively new, so I suspect the reef might grow back one day. If I understand correctly, the W might actually have a much more "alive" reef, it'd be worth checking.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:04 am

VEry helpful. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.