Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Seeing the StR Maldives handle this as as well as it has is still reassuring and a wonderful data point.
Another reason the hotel readily refunds in this situation is they may be insured against revenue losses caused by weather or other natural events.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
No, you’re right. Perhaps impressed isn’t the best word. I’m still pleased to see the StR handle that so well. Just because a luxury hotel is supposed to handle such unforeseen circumstances with grace doesn’t always mean they do. One need only remember recent reviews here on the FT Luxury Forum of Ani Villas Anguilla, Cheval Blanc Randheli, FS London Trinity Square, etc to know it doesn’t always go well, even at some of the most lauded hotels. Seeing the StR Maldives handle this as as well as it has is still reassuring and a wonderful data point.
If the bar is how CB handled that buy-out, or how Ani Anguilla treated DSI, then the bar has truly has reached a new low!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
1pm local time: no rain in Male for the last 3 hours. Still sitting in the Great Room (St. Regis lounge) with no news about my flight apart from “it’s delayed”.

Been sitting here since 9am. I’ve spent more time in the lounge than I will be at the resort (if I ever get there).

The breakfast selection isn’t bad - warm chocolate muffin with melted chocolate bits, good quality yoghurt, very nice teas ...

Here with me are some families I saw yesterday - we’re all just waiting and waiting....
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I wonder what happens to the people who were leaving from the resort? Do they get to stay on for free?
MaldivesFreak and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Yippee. Finally got here but not without incident.
Waited from 10am to 11am to 12 noon ... no sea planes.
They booked a domestic flight on Maldivian for us to the new Dhaalu airport (boarding pass says Kudahuvadhoo) - there were around 15 passengers from St. Regis on that flight.
We boarded the flight around 3:30pm.

When we got to Dhaalu, St. Regis staff were waiting for us.
Some guests’ suitcases didn’t arrive.
We took a 40 minute speedboat ride to St. Regis.
Arrived 30 minutes before sunset.

Managed to get a Instagram worthy pic in my OWV pool before it got dark.
Really really windy here (especially on the sunset OWV side) - luckily I’m in the ones facing the island and the wind is not too bad. But when I open the door the gusts are really really strong.

On the buggy even with the sides closed there was sand blowing in. Staff say it’s not been so windy since the resort opened.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Yippee. Finally got here but not without incident.
Waited from 10am to 11am to 12 noon ... no sea planes.
They booked a domestic flight on Maldivian for us to the new Dhaalu airport (boarding pass says Kudahuvadhoo) - there were around 15 passengers from St. Regis on that flight.
We boarded the flight around 3:30pm.

When we got to Dhaalu, St. Regis staff were waiting for us.
Some guests’ suitcases didn’t arrive.
We took a 40 minute speedboat ride to St. Regis.
Arrived 30 minutes before sunset.

Managed to get a Instagram worthy pic in my OWV pool before it got dark.
Really really windy here (especially on the sunset OWV side) - luckily I’m in the ones facing the island and the wind is not too bad. But when I open the door the gusts are really really strong.

On the buggy even with the sides closed there was sand blowing in. Staff say it’s not been so windy since the resort opened.
With everything you went through, they should've given you the John Jacob Astor Estate. Especially that you're only staying for one night now.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:34 pm

Update: 2 sea planes left with most of the passengers. No more sea planes (now 4pm here).

7 of us are now stranded in Male for the night. We’ve been sitting in the lounge for over 7 hours already.

Hope we get to the St R tomorrow!

Lounge staff told me they will refund the prepaid night, but I’ll have to pay for the hotel stay in Male. I guess this is where I can claim travel insurance?

Honestly, this is a huge deal breaker for me. I know they have no control over the weather but they don't even have ANY sort of influence over the sea plane flight schedules when the weather is fine and dandy.
We waited in the lounge for 2 hours in the early morning, and was told it would be another 10-15 minutes....SEVERAL times until it was near 4 hours in the lounge.
Honestly, the lounge isn't THAT big at all and it's SUPER tiring to fly half away around the world just to be stuck in some mediocre lounge....
From what I gather, the plane flies when its reached maximum capacity, so they will wait until all the customers for whatever route they are on show up. Great for the last person who arrives, but absolutely sucks for the great many who have to wait for the last ones to show up...
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:50 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by shingu79
Honestly, this is a huge deal breaker for me. I know they have no control over the weather but they don't even have ANY sort of influence over the sea plane flight schedules when the weather is fine and dandy.
We waited in the lounge for 2 hours in the early morning, and was told it would be another 10-15 minutes....SEVERAL times until it was near 4 hours in the lounge.
Honestly, the lounge isn't THAT big at all and it's SUPER tiring to fly half away around the world just to be stuck in some mediocre lounge....
From what I gather, the plane flies when its reached maximum capacity, so they will wait until all the customers for whatever route they are on show up. Great for the last person who arrives, but absolutely sucks for the great many who have to wait for the last ones to show up...
As the charter company has a monopoly, and that’s what you have to deal with to go to any resort in the Maldives that requires a seaplane charter transfer, I suggest you limit your Maldives plans to only resorts within a speedboat transfer range of the Male Airport.

This isn’t an issue for the hotel. This is an issue for the charter company that flies to every resort in the Maldives. The hotels can’t control that. Of course, you can always spend more $$$ and stay at Cheval Blanc Randheli, which has its own seaplane. Otherwise, if you want to go to the Maldives, you’re stuck either using the charter company flights or sticking closer to Male.

This is what happens when one leaves the safe confines of the world they know. That’s why some of us travel. That’s why others stay in the warm, comforting embrace of the bubble they know.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

We are having some major issues with this resort which I should share after we file a complain and see what they respond. Does anyone know GM's email and SPG corporate email? Please PM me or post here. Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:02 am

So I’m checking out now and they tell me they are not refunding the first night.

They have however waived the food (I only had dinner and it was just above $100 - my room came with $100 credit) and the sea plane. So maybe they waived $650 worth.

They precharged my entire stay including service charge and tax - am I entitled to at least the service charge and tax back?

They said none of the guests will have their first night refunded. I’ve asked them for a letter to claim for travel insurance but they refuse to do so “as a matter of company policy”.

Does anyone know if weather conditions are a valid reason for claiming insurance (well, most passengers got to the hotel but I didn’t...)

Last edited by Psychiatrist; Dec 2, 2017 at 1:28 am
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:13 am

Seeing the StR Maldives handle this as as well as it has is still reassuring and a wonderful data point.
So there’s no refund - they only waived the sea plane fee and the extra $10 or so I spent on food (on top of my $100 credit).

Last edited by Psychiatrist; Dec 2, 2017 at 1:20 am
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
So there’s no refund - they only waived the sea plane fee and the extra $10 or so I spent on food (on top of my $100 credit).
I can sort of see both sides of this, the key question for me though would be who determines the sea plane schedules is it the hotel or the sea plane company? If it s the property then I would dispute the Credit Card charge and take it from there. Weather conditions are going to be beyond the control of the hotel but if they have made choices about which guests stays to ruin then they should take some responsibility. If it was wholly down to the sea plane company (which I just can't see) then it seems not wholly unreasonable for them to stick with the charge but most better properties just would not do this in the circumstances.

On my insurance weather would be a valid reason for an insurance claim in such a situation. The only question I would have is what is claimable here? Can you claim a refund of the SR cost or only the additional cost of the accommodation in MLE? I wouldn't want to spend 10 minutes in MLE let alone a night so you have my profound sympathy for your experience.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:49 am

The hotel is totally at the mercy of the sea plane company (but having said that, they let a couple who arrived much later board the plane, leaving me behind overnight in Male).

So I guess it’s not St. R’s fault that I didn’t make it on the first night.

What I’ll do is this:
- get St. R to refund the service change and tax since I didn’t stay the first night
- claim insurance for the first night which was non refundable (around $1400)
- claim insurance for the night in Male (around $100)

Sounds reasonable?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
The hotel is totally at the mercy of the sea plane company (but having said that, they let a couple who arrived much later board the plane, leaving me behind overnight in Male).

So I guess it’s not St. R’s fault that I didn’t make it on the first night.

What I’ll do is this:
- get St. R to refund the service change and tax since I didn’t stay the first night
- claim insurance for the first night which was non refundable (around $1400)
- claim insurance for the night in Male (around $100)

Sounds reasonable?
Not really. St. Regis should refund the first night in full, no need to claim insurance for the first night.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Not really. St. Regis should refund the first night in full, no need to claim insurance for the first night.
+1. There's no way they should've sent the couple ahead if they arrived later. StR should step up and refund.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.