Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by N515CR
We had no issues with charging various US devices.
Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ps9a
BV is an upgrade from OWV. But OWV is not the base room.
I am confused. A points redemption puts you into BV so how is that not a base?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:09 am

My thoughts exactly.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Does it not put you into a Garden Villa not a Beach Villa?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Have you redeemed points at the "base level" for a Beach Villa? If so, I stand corrected, and things have changed since I last made a reservation.

My understanding: you can redeem points for many levels... a "base" redemption puts you into a "Garden Villa"... an "Overwater Villa" is an upgrade from a "Garden Villa," and a "Beach Villa" is an upgrade from an "Overwater Villa".

GV < OWV < BV in terms of category and pricing at this hotel.

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
My thoughts exactly.
BV is not the same as GV

I just picked a random week in September to check rates... from Sep 9-16, on the SPG website, a GV costs $1127/night, OWV costs $1279/night, BV costs $1431/night. Have you redeemed points at the base level for a BV?

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Correct. Unless people have been able to redeem at the "base rate" for Beach Villas recently, I'm not sure where the confusion lies. I'm guessing people are confusing the hierarchy or room names at other resorts in the Maldives (Conrad) with those at the St Regis.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:39 am

BV is not the same as GV

I just picked a random week in September to check rates... from Sep 9-16, on the SPG website, a GV costs $1127/night, OWV costs $1279/night, BV costs $1431/night. Have you redeemed points at the base level for a BV?

Correct. Unless people have been able to redeem at the "base rate" for Beach Villas recently, I'm not sure where the confusion lies. I'm guessing people are confusing the hierarchy or room names at other resorts in the Maldives (Conrad) with those at the St Regis.
Right. I see now that at this property there's no distinction between over-water and on-land experiences. A bit confusing if you are one of the majority which thinks over water villas are a more exciting/luxurious/special/romantic et al. experience than a villa on land.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:38 am

I have added the above info to the wiki in a new section titled 'Villa Category & Upgrade Information'.

In addition, there were a couple of things in the wiki that needed correction:
* kids seaplane price is 60% of the adult price, not 50%
* excess baggage is charged an additional fee of 5.60 USD per kilogram, not 4 USD/kg
* added seaplane daily operating time (6:00 AM - 3:30 PM)
* fixed a couple of typos
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you redeemed points at the "base level" for a Beach Villa? If so, I stand corrected, and things have changed since I last made a reservation.

My understanding: you can redeem points for many levels... a "base" redemption puts you into a "Garden Villa"... an "Overwater Villa" is an upgrade from a "Garden Villa," and a "Beach Villa" is an upgrade from an "Overwater Villa".

BV is not the same as GV

I confess though it is bizarre that the beach villa is a higher redemption category than the water villa which seemed to be an all round better proposition than the standard villa on land (garden and beach are identical designs just located differently.

I don't understand why anyone would choose a BV over an OWV.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
(garden and beach are identical designs just located differently.
There are minor differences. The pool for the GV is much bigger than the BV. Also, there is a swing next to the pool for the GV, where the BV does not have one.

Overall, the GV is a little larger than the BV.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah it was a garden villa. Sorry didn't realise the beach villa was a higher category then OWB. Glad to hear that I will get upgraded though to a OWB.

Does this hotel have kids policies for OWB? Mine will be both under 10.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah it was a garden villa. Sorry didn't realise the beach villa was a higher category then OWB. Glad to hear that I will get upgraded though to a OWB.

In principle but not in practice we found. Which is a shame as I like nothing more than an area free from shrieking sprogs.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:09 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I don't understand why anyone would choose a BV over an OWV.
In the Maldives, air con is notoriously ineffective at times when the temps are very high--as the inevitably get quite often--because the Indian Ocean is considerably warmer and therefore more volatile (evaporates more). That puts a lot more pressure on air con systems on all overwater villas in the Maldives.

For someone like me who craves and requires excellent air con, I would never risk it in the Maldives to stay overwater.

I speak with experience as one who was upgraded to the Royal Overwater Villa at the StR Bora Bora--and occasionally had air con issues even there. The Pacific is nowhere near as warm as the Indian Ocean, however, so I know how likely it would be to experience air con challenges in the Maldives.

If you don't care about air con, however, your contention is obviously cogent.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold

From their website

FAMILY PLAN POLICY
We recommend that families reserve a Family Villa with beach access. Children who are 11 years old or younger sleep for free in the existing bedding of a room with a paying adult.Overwater Villas, Sunset Overwater Villas, and St. Regis Suites cannot accommodate guests younger than 8 years old; a legal guardian must sign a waiver for 8- to 12-year-olds. Children of any age must not be left unsupervised.It is our pleasure to offer rollaway beds and cribs upon request. Cribs are complimentary while rollaway beds are subject to a supplementary fee. For more information, please contact our Reservations Department at [email protected].
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
From their website
Those next door to us had a very young child (toddler I would say), so regardless of what the website says the actuality is very different.

The aircon at Vommuli in the OWV is excellent and very effective as it has been in every other OWV, I have stayed in.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like nothing more than an area free from shrieking sprogs.
I must admit my Sprogs are very well mannered. I feel as a parent you need to respect that your children should behave in situations like these. I have lost count of the number of times people have given us the looks when we pull up into First or business with two toddlers but then turn around at the end of the flight with the biggest I didn't even realise you were there smiles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.