Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Award stays for relatives count for Platinum qualification?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Hi there,

I am looking to book a few awards for relatives with my points. At that point, I am also just missing 3 stays for Platinum requalification. Would those award stays booked for my relatives count for my requalification?

Technically, it is a stay and it is booked under my name, right?!

Thanks for your help.

Best
Old May 27, 2015, 4:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ded0r
Hi there,

I am looking to book a few awards for relatives with my points. At that point, I am also just missing 3 stays for Platinum requalification. Would those award stays booked for my relatives count for my requalification?

Technically, it is a stay and it is booked under my name, right?!

Thanks for your help.

Best
Gifting SPG Award night to someone, stay credit?
Old May 27, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
You can always book the room for yourself and add your relative's name to the reservation. This is a YMMV situation, so you may receive credit and you may not. If you are local to the hotel, you can always go check in and give the keys to your relatives.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Technically, it is a stay and it is booked under my name, right?
But you're not the one staying.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Just about all the hotel programs call for the member to stay and pay for the room to earn credit (paying with points included). There are some properties that mess up and post credit (nights, stay, and/or points) when the member is not present. Even if the posting does happen, it could be reversed at a later time when/if discovered.

Safest approach is to not count on it and plan to have legitimate stays to make status.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Technically, it is a stay and it is booked under my name, right?
The definition of a "stay" is defined in the T&Cs :

Originally Posted by SPG T&Cs
B. A "Stay" is a stay of one or more consecutive nights at the same SPG Participating Hotel by an SPG Member who: (A) provides his/her SPG Member number at the time of reservation or at check-in; (B) pays an Eligible Rate or, for stays on or after October 1, 2011, redeems an SPG Award or an SPG Promotion Reward for the stay; and (C) stays in one of the reserved guest rooms.
so, technically, you're not entitled to a stay credit if you don't physically stay yourself, though, as other posters have said, sometimes YMMV.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wouldn't want to count on such (fraudulent) stays to maintain status since accounts can be audited and credits removed at any time.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wouldn't want to count on such (fraudulent) stays to maintain status since accounts can be audited and credits removed at any time.
Nothing fraudulent at all about the say. Even if it gets posted to the OP's account, it would be tough to say he did anything wrong. It's perfectly ok to book rooms for others using your points. The system is going to associate the OP's account to the booking (the points gotta come from somewhere). The fact that the property doesn't check for the member's attendance is totally on them. The posting of credit is done by the property (manual/automatic). So the OP has not done anything wrong.

Now, yes, if the stay does post the OP risks losing the credit if an audit is done. This can be problematic if done near the end of the year and OP can't make up the credit lost.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Nothing fraudulent at all about the say. Even if it gets posted to the OP's account, it would be tough to say he did anything wrong. It's perfectly ok to book rooms for others using your points. The system is going to associate the OP's account to the booking (the points gotta come from somewhere). The fact that the property doesn't check for the member's attendance is totally on them. The posting of credit is done by the property (manual/automatic). So the OP has not done anything wrong.

Now, yes, if the stay does post the OP risks losing the credit if an audit is done. This can be problematic if done near the end of the year and OP can't make up the credit lost.
The audit could also occur in the new year, when it's too late to make an additional stay or three.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The audit could also occur in the new year, when it's too late to make an additional stay or three.
Very true. But I would hope SPG would see this as their mistake and not take away status, especially from a Platinum. I don't know if SPG has a company-wide CRM where future bookings can be flagged to confirm member in attendance, but if they determine this is/was a frequent occurrence some action may be warranted. Given the member should be present for ANY account credit posting to occur, the system and/or training may need some attention.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:23 pm

Very true. But I would hope SPG would see this as their mistake and not take away status, especially from a Platinum. I don't know if SPG has a company-wide CRM where future bookings can be flagged to confirm member in attendance, but if they determine this is/was a frequent occurrence some action may be warranted. Given the member should be present for ANY account credit posting to occur, the system and/or training may need some attention.
IIRC there have been reports from previous years of people who lost night/stay credit after the end of the year as the result of an account audit. It's the members responsibility to know the rules, so I wouldn't have a lot of sympathy for someone who lost status when credits were removed as a result of the member not actually staying at the hotel.

IMO it's always wise to audit your own accounts as the end of the year approaches to check that you're not relying on anything that has been erroneously posted to your account.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Bottom line is if you present yourself at checkin it wont be a problem otherwise plan a mattress run.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM
But isn't the argument here that since these stays wouldn't count, then the OP wouldn't necessarily be a Platinum? Assuming that these nights were otherwise required to re-qualify.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cre95
But isn't the argument here that since these stays wouldn't count, then the OP wouldn't necessarily be a Platinum? Assuming that these nights were otherwise required to re-qualify.
That defense may be appropriate for the first year, but if the member has been a Platinum, for at least a year before, then some latitude is appropriate. Not to mention, the member will have at least been a Gold that also shows some level of commitment to the program. And, as I said, if it's a recurrent situation of trying to get credit for non-compliant stays, pulling the plug is appropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.