Search

Platinum - two rooms?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 3:57 pm
BFG
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum
Platinum - two rooms?

If I have two rooms reserved will both rooms be granted access to the club lounge if I am the only platinum member? I'm not concerned about upgrades for room 2. Thanks.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by BFG
If I have two rooms reserved will both rooms be granted access to the club lounge if I am the only platinum member? I'm not concerned about upgrades for room 2. Thanks.
By rules it's only 1 room
BUT it depends on property YMMV
Old May 23, 2015, 4:24 pm
BFG
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum
Awe shucks. Okay thanks :-).
Old May 23, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
If youre not too concerned with suite upgrades, why not ask f.d. to put 1 room as a club room/suite. Your other guest will be in the club room/suite club access (which they cannot deny access by spg terms) and you get the regular room which youll have access as a plat anyways.
Just make sure both rooms are under your name so you are free to choose the regular room and put your guest to club.

Last edited by supatight80; May 23, 2015 at 5:52 pm
Old May 23, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, the rules are your benefits are for your use and not everyone you should happen to know. You are able to bring a guest staying in your room. How many people are we talking about? I've yet had a property do a bed check to see who's staying where, so... I have had good luck just asking at check-in and being told it would be ok. So even if the rules say no, just ask nicely and you may be surprised with a yes.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by supatight80
If youre not too concerned with suite upgrades, why not ask f.d. to put 1 room as a club room/suite. Your other guest will be in the club room/suite club access (which they cannot deny access by spg terms) and you get the regular room which youll have access as a plat anyways.
Just make sure both rooms are under your name so you are free to choose the regular room and put your guest to club.
The Platinum upgrade applies to the room occupied by the Platinum member as per the very terms and conditions you are quoting.There is no right for the member to assign the upgraded room in the hotel reservation system to their companion (regardless of who actually occupies which room) . I don't think trying to be tricky is the best way in these circumstances.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Youre right...OP sorry bout my bad advice.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:07 pm

other than Aloft KL, I have never had issues with getting access for the 2nd room. Usually this for my 3 young kids which means a total of 5 for club and the morning breakfast.

This is in S.E. Asia.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:18 pm

IME it really depend on property Club FD/Manager
Some property give me for second rooms club access
Old May 23, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
other than Aloft KL, I have never had issues with getting access for the 2nd room. Usually this for my 3 young kids which means a total of 5 for club and the morning breakfast.

This is in S.E. Asia.
For me it's been about 50/50. Sometimes, I offer to pay upfront to assure that there won't be uncomfortable moments at checkin or walking into lounge. Here's the recent record:

Sheraton Nha Trang: No problem (what a great hotel/staff, BTW)

Sheraton Saigon: Wanted us to pay extra $25 per child per day. We agreed to pay with a nominal number of points instead (500, IIRC)

Kota Kinabalu: negotiated upfront for total of about $10/day for all 3 children

Sheraton Singapore: required extra payment for children

Westin Singapore: demanded huge extra payment for children. Their mistake was to upgrade both of our rooms to club rooms. After far too much arguing about t&cs, they relented and let the kids in without charge.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
For me it's been about 50/50. Sometimes, I offer to pay upfront to assure that there won't be uncomfortable moments at checkin or walking into lounge. Here's the recent record:

Sheraton Nha Trang: No problem (what a great hotel/staff, BTW)

Sheraton Saigon: Wanted us to pay extra $25 per child per day. We agreed to pay with a nominal number of points instead (500, IIRC)

Kota Kinabalu: negotiated upfront for total of about $10/day for all 3 children

Sheraton Singapore: required extra payment for children

Westin Singapore: demanded huge extra payment for children. Their mistake was to upgrade both of our rooms to club rooms. After far too much arguing about t&cs, they relented and let the kids in without charge.
Interesting to hear you experience.

LM KK- I believe they wanted to charge as well but they had upgraded me to a suite with connecting room so it was club room for both. They agreed to let my kids eat for no additional charge.

Sheraton Sin had no issues at all.

Westin- I recall my encounter with FD agent telling me the kids would be charged. I spoke to the FD manager and he agreed for an exception for my stayed. He told me that if I was going to stay again that I would be charged for my kids during breakfast. I thanked him for advising me of this as it made it clear I would stay at the LM for my future stays.

I don't make a big deal of it but most of the time I get 1 time exception which I take note so I can decide if I will stay at that hotel in the future. INteresting that the Sheraton Sin and LM KK are considered by some as the worst SPG hotels in S.E. Asia

Additionally- my kids are 7, 5 and 3 so it is not like they are going to clear out the breakfast buffet or drink an entire bottle of wine at the lounge. Once my kids reach 12 then I have no problem paying for breakfast.

My wife is DIA with Hyatt and all the Hyatt's we have stayed at in S.E. Asia we have never been told we must pay for kids breakfast.

Again I always book 2 rooms. I would never ask my kids to eat free if I booked only 1 room.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:17 am

Interesting to hear you experience.

Additionally- my kids are 7, 5 and 3 so it is not like they are going to clear out the breakfast buffet or drink an entire bottle of wine at the lounge. Once my kids reach 12 then I have no problem paying for breakfast.

My wife is DIA with Hyatt and all the Hyatt's we have stayed at in S.E. Asia we have never been told we must pay for kids breakfast.

Again I always book 2 rooms. I would never ask my kids to eat free if I booked only 1 room.
Totally agree but some hotel agent are really strict with rules more than hospitality heart to make guest exceptional experience.
Result in lesser business to those property from plat guest.
I always travel with kids or some old aged people that not drink alcohol or can't eat a lot of breakfast.
I know the rules but i really appreciate for property that gave some extra and make me to re-visit again.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
LM KK- I believe they wanted to charge as well but they had upgraded me to a suite with connecting room so it was club room for both. They agreed to let my kids eat for no additional charge.
Dang. We got the same suite and connecting room. I guess I should have waited. That worked for me at the Westin Singapore. Though, with the amount of time it took to convince them to honor the status of the room, it might have been better just to pay the money.

Yup. I always book 2 as well. My kids are 9, 12, and 14. The older two are like a swarm of angry locusts or piranhas, able to strip a sumptous buffet down to bare porcelain and sterno burners in a matter of seconds. Sometimes, they go for the sterno as well. So I don't even try to slip under the radar; I make it very clear that we have two rooms and 5 people.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
That worked for me at the Westin Singapore. Though, with the amount of time it took to convince them to honor the status of the room, it might have been better just to pay the money.
The Westin took a long discussion. Once I mentioned my experience with the LM KL they started to change their tone. When I finally confirmed with them that indeed it was hotel policy I thanked them for informing me of this as would factor into my future decisions on where to stay in KL. This is when they stated they would make the 1 time exception for my family (my kids were 1-2 younger at the time).

I guess they did this thinking I would find the westin better than the LM KK. I do think the westin has the better location but since I use KL as a layover for vaction travel the I don't even consider the westin.

It's great when you have choices!
Old May 26, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
This is in S.E. Asia.
- I was in Sheraton Macao recently with my wife and son (18 years old) staying in one room (suite). However, only after talking to a manager an access to the third person (my son) was granted to the Club Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.