Search

Philly recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2000, 4:50 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Philly recommendations please

Looking for recommendations for a Starwood in Philadelphia. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 8, 2000, 5:24 pm

Location: Memphis, TN-SPG Platinum, HY Diamond, HH Gold, NW Platinum, AA Platinum, AVIS Preferred Select.
Sheraton at airport is an all suite hotel and is okay but nothing fancy. Four points gets the same review. The Rittenhouse Sheraton is in a good location for the prime philly attractions and the rooms are pretty large too. Valet takes 30 minutes to get your car though. Lastly, the Westin (formerly St.Regis) tops the others without a doubt. Connected to a mall and CC happenings are right outside the hotel. Their Suites are very nicely furnished but they are a bit more pricy than the other properties.
Old Aug 9, 2000, 7:19 am

The Sheraton Society Hill has a nice location near Penns Landing and South Street. The regular rooms are nothing to write home about but the Club floor was recently redone and is very nice.

Not a big fan of the Westin. I stayed there both when it was a Ritz Carlton and since it became a Westin and it's amazing how far down it's gone.

The Sheraton Suites used to be a Westin and is very comfortable but nothing fancy.
Old Aug 9, 2000, 7:58 pm

The Sheraton Rittenhouse and Westin (former St. Regis) are located around shops and restaurants. I like the Rittenhouse with a view of the park.

I paid a considerable rate for the Sheraton Society Hill and was not impressed with the hotel or its location. Stay away from the Sheraton Universal as it needs major renovations and the location isn't great either.
Old Aug 9, 2000, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Given the lack of enthusiasm for any of these properties, you might want to forget your points just this once and treat yourself to the Four Seasons.
Old Aug 10, 2000, 12:30 am

i like The Sheraton Rittenhouse .. nice hotel and nice location.
Old Aug 10, 2000, 12:54 am

Programs: OWEm (lifetime OWSapph x2), lifetime *G
I've stayed at the Westin when it was Ritz and then St. Regis. I agree with winstoda and am amazed too how things can deteriorate so quickly. I would recommend the Four Seasons.
Old Aug 10, 2000, 9:33 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I stayed at the Westin (ex - Ritz-Carlton) last month on a summer 25% off weekend rate of $109. As platinum, I was upgraded to a suite. For $109 this was a fantastic deal. Note: I also stayed at the hotel when it was a St Regis on a Free Friday and was disappointed (higher expectations).

I'm sure the Four Seasons is better, and the new Ritz-Carlton is now open, but I'm sure you can't get a suite there for anything even remotely close to $109. Yes, the Westin has a air of faded glory about it, but they still have great beds left over from St Regis days (European linens, big fluffy down comforter), my suite had two CD players 1 ˝ marble baths with separate shower and a dressing area. If you are loaded with cash go for the 4 seasons, but if money means anything to you the Westin is good value, especially if you can swing an upgrade.
Old Aug 10, 2000, 2:46 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Thanks for the info. I think I'll give the Westin a try and hope for the suite.

[This message has been edited by rocky (edited 08-10-2000).]
Old Aug 10, 2000, 11:10 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It has slipped, but I've stayed here, most recently for the NCAA Womens "Hoopla" a few months ago and it was essentially fine - no club floor or pool or pool access though!
Old Jul 27, 2001, 11:34 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Anything relevant updates here in PHL?

Anyone stayed at the Four Points, PHL? I have precious little Four Points experience and I'm planning to do a real brief visit through this property! Anything particularly good or bad, and are they SPG friendly! Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2001, 5:12 pm

My recent experience in PHL includes stays at two Starwoods (multiple times each):

Rittenhouse - despite having been open for several years now, they still seem to have untrained staff. Rooms vary wildly in size and orientation. The conversion from an apartment building (where many of my friends lived when we were in grad school not too long ago) required odd shaped rooms and stairs within rooms. Virtually ignorant of Preferred Guest benefits. I actually had an argument with a front-desk manager over whether I was really platinum! I finally had to dig out the card and she examined it very closely. The restaurant (Bleu, I think is the name) is quite good but room service is dismal. Business services are unreliable (FedExs didn't go out, printer/fax didn't work, etc.). I echo the above post about the valet - bringing the car around can easily take a half hour and up!

Sheraton Suites at the Airport - Not a bad property. It was a Westin and has a more modern decor as a result. The service at the restaurant is very poor and the food quality is low. The rooms are spacious and the location is convenient to the airport, though there is nothing else around except hotels (no shops, etc.).

Based on all the problems I've had with the Rittenhouse, it would take a very compelling event to get me back there - I'll try the Westin next time.
Old Jul 27, 2001, 5:42 pm

i stayed twice at the Rittenhouse. i had no problems at all. every time i was upgraded to a lagre suite i got my amenity and the staff were very friendly. i agree with the car service. it will take up to 1/2 an hr. but they ask you to call 15 min. in advance to get your car.

i found the restaurant very very good.

i would stay there again. but next time i am in philly i'll try the westin
Old Jul 27, 2001, 6:00 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doc:
Anything relevant updates here in PHL?

Anyone stayed at the Four Points, PHL? I have precious little Four Points experience and I'm planning to do a real brief visit through this property! Anything particularly good or bad, and are they SPG friendly! Thanks!
</font>

The Sheraton Suites at PHL is MUCH better than the 4 Points, and usually only $20 more.

In the city, I like the Westin.
Old Jul 27, 2001, 10:43 pm
Original Member

Anywhere BUT the Sheraton University City.

I had the single worst hotel stay in my life there several years ago.

I'll sleep on a park bench before I'd give that hotel a nickle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.