Your thoughts on worst SPG hotel in SE Asia?

Old May 23, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by fivenue
they encourage plat to stay elsewhere?
wow...
we need lurkers here to set them right
I need to explain further.. it is an inference when I said "encourage" as they really do not care about SPG Plat recognition, and even BRG 2000 points do not post automatically by the property.

When we have so many good SPG properties that recognizes SPG Plats, all these actions by that property are encouraging Plats to stay at other SPG in BKK.
Old May 23, 2015, 2:24 am

Agree that ROS is the worst in SE Asia. Unlike other old properties that mature its efficiency and warmth with age, this place just got wrinkly with no personality or grace.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Laguna will have kids (just not in the lagoon access rooms), but not as many as the Westin IME.
thanks man, i feel that you are my personal travel advisor with all your advises
Old May 25, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Agree that ROS is the worst in SE Asia. Unlike other old properties that mature its efficiency and warmth with age, this place just got wrinkly with no personality or grace.
Even the Thai restaurant at ROS sucks. Really?
Old May 25, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
The Great Wall Sheraton is really in need of a refurbishment. On the bright side the rates are good value. Its not that my stays have been awful, in fact I have been looked after pretty well, its just that it could be a lot better hardware wise.

I would say the ROS is similar, don't know on what basis it got a category bump last year but it could really do with a refurb and treatment of plats more in line with the other BKK properties.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by geminidreams
I would say the ROS is similar, don't know on what basis it got a category bump last year but it could really do with a refurb and treatment of plats more in line with the other BKK properties.
Haven't stayed in any other SPG properties in BKK but I feel the Platinum treatment is fine in regards to Lounge access and room upgrades.
Old May 26, 2015, 3:24 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Haven't stayed in any other SPG properties in BKK but I feel the Platinum treatment is fine in regards to Lounge access and room upgrades.
Every other property you get the breakfast buffets with or without points and all of them are pretty good, the club Lounge at PA and Westin, plat happy hour at LM and I believe SGS are all as good. I have had good upgrade experiences at all the SPG properties except Aloft (not expected) and 4P never offered. ROS is OK if you want a river location but the general area isn't exciting and hotel is tired. Its great if you want a BRG, and I found the staff friendly and helpful, just I don't find it a good option compared to some really great SPG hotels in BKK.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sheraton Singapore, Sheraton Hong Kong, the Sheraton in Tokyo (in this case, bad location and sad looking building).
Is this the Sheraton Miyako Tokyo? Bad location in Tokyo is a very relative term - depends where you want/need to be. 5 minutes to Shinagawa station is not a bad location in my books.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by geminidreams
ROS is OK if you want a river location but the general area isn't exciting and hotel is tired. Its great if you want a BRG, and I found the staff friendly and helpful, just I don't find it a good option compared to some really great SPG hotels in BKK.
Still I wouldn't put it on the "worst" list, even though there are better options.

As you say, the river location is great - though the Hilton on the other side is admittedly a better hotel. I pretty much liked the weekend I spent there.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Ever since the Sheraton Media in Jakarta left SPG, there has been no really
terrible property left in Asia, at least not of that calibre.

Yes, I may not enjoy Sheraton Bandara, or like the way Sheraton Singapore treats
me, but they ( and others listed here) are all tolerable for a night.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:48 am

I had a great experience at the Laguna in Bali. The suite upg (plat) was an amazing room. I went there Jan 2014. Don't recall any negative.

The worst hotel I stayed in so far in SE Asia would be
Sheraton Bandung. Granted they were still doing their renovation, the room I was in was filled with seasonal bugs which I dont remember the name... (at least 40+ bugs) They cleaned it up right away but it was very unpleasant. I still slept there as I wanted to enjoy the suite atmosphere.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: AC *E, SPG Plat, Hertz
Your thoughts on worst SPG hotel in SE Asia?

I had a great 2 week stay at the Sheraton Singapore... Treated well, great upgrade, very friendly and helpful staff...
Old May 26, 2015, 8:20 pm

I had a great stay in the Sheraton Bandung. AFTER their renovation :P

I had a great stay in the Sheraton Singapore. Upgraded to Cabana Room. Good service. Great lounge

I had a so-so stay in the Sheraton Yogjakarta. Nice big property and friendly helpful staff and yummy breakfast. Huge upgrade to one tier below Presidential. But old old old. Balcony wood rotting, iron rusty - made me scared to lean on it. Toilet water seal not consistent so sewer smells. Chairs and sofas had a few stains. Pool had algae on the tiles. Would I go back? Only if I was visiting Borobodur. Worst hotel? Nah... paid like $75 or somesuch for a 1000sq ft room.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Is it still that bad? Or renovated and improved since 2015? Thought to stay there in summer, but not planning a disastrous stay LOL. If it sucks that much, I'd rather stay at Aloft or Holiday Inn.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:26 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Is it still that bad? Or renovated and improved since 2015? Thought to stay there in summer, but not planning a disastrous stay LOL. If it sucks that much, I'd rather stay at Aloft or Holiday Inn.
ROS is not great in comparison to other BKK options, but it has redeeming features -- I don't mind the club, and watching the river can be fun. Of course I only stay here if I can get a BRG of THB2200-2500++, and for that kind of money it's absolutely ok. Take a look at the property thread for more detailed discussion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.