So is check-in at 3 or isn't it?

Old May 17, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Miami305
The OP has consistently refused to name the property and has not followed up with more of an explanation.

This reminds me of the time my daughter told me that someone ate all the cookies before I got home and that they should be punished, but refused to tell me who it was.

I wonder if the events happened the way they were described...
Personally, I wish threads that did this were removed after a time. They are of no help to us here whatsoever.
Old May 17, 2015, 2:41 pm

Just to add my 2 cents that there's really little point in starting a thread like this if the property isn't named.

Starting a thread/posting is for sharing information about the good and bad out there so all the rest of us can make more informed decisions. If defeats the purpose if the poster doesn't name the property.

If it's too early to go public with a complaint, then don't post in the first place.

Cheers,
Old May 17, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
OP should definitely identify the property, IMO.

This has happened to me. Here's the post where I described the incident. LMM BKK.
Old May 17, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I'll join that pile-on. Perhaps the Mods can be encouraged 'to mentor' posters who leave incomplete information, with lack of response leading to quick thread lock.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
This situation happened to me at the (then SPG) Dom in Koln. I was offered a very small, single room to use temporarily to store my bag and wash up and was told to check back in an hour (around 4pm). At that time it was still not ready-- but I continued to have use of the small room. My room was finally available around 6pm-- and it turned out to be a suite overlooking the Dom and they followed up with a delivery of champagne and snacks, with an apology from the management.
iflymsy likes this.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Boy this thread went downhill quickly. Two days without an update and I'm liar who should be "mentored" and I shouldn't have started this thread? I did get a response from the hotel on Friday afternoon but for the record, we took our kids out of town to see an aging great-grandmother this weekend and I wasn't exactly monitoring FT. Not to mention the update was more than I could do on my iphone.

Quickly for those who have actually been helpful and polite: because I hold meetings at this hotel every year, the sales and catering people had let the front desk people know that I should be considered VIP and kept in the upgraded room and due to a combination of a lot of things going wrong, including two of the employees being new, they didn't want to move me from the room I had been pre-assiged [the VIP thing isn't BS they just made up, btw, since they told me that before the event took place]. The Sales and Catering manager did some research, talked to everyone, checked the records, etc, then explained everything that went wrong and how they intend to make sure it doesn't happen again, then apologized and offered more points.

Honestly, I was planning to post the whole letter (names redacted, of course), but with these last few rude posts, forget it.

Initially, I didn't want to name the hotel without at least giving them the opportunity to make it right; why trash them publicly when they haven't even had the chance to respond? And now, in my mind, they've made it right. More importantly, I didn't start the thread to "name and shame" but to get some disinterested perspectives since no one at the hotel seemed to think it was a problem. Luckily, the hotel now agrees it was a problem. Thanks to those who offered actual suggestions.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:21 pm

TimesTwo, I can totally understand you. Last couple posts were imho totally over the boarder. There are reasons (like yours) why someone doesn't want to report the name of a property. I hope your future stays will be fine now Thanks for your contribution here.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
You did just fine...

Outlining the issue got you feedback of what you might expect. Giving the property a chance to pony up is fine. Naming the property might have garnered specific advice but sounds like you had that wired in with your contacts. There will always be mistakes made, how a property recovers from them is the important part.

Maybe after your next stay, you can come back here and let us know the property and how they did with your stay then. Did they improve or fail again?
Old May 17, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Honestly, I was planning to post the whole letter (names redacted, of course), but with these last few rude posts, ....
IME, FTers often assume that unless complete information is disclosed, there must be a reason. And often the reason is that the OP isn't telling the whole story.

... forget it.
So you're going to punish us by not sharing the information? That approach isn't likely to get you very far here. I gather that you haven't taken the online course, "How To Win Friends on FT."

Initially, I didn't want to name the hotel without at least giving them the opportunity to make it right; why trash them publicly when they haven't even had the chance to respond?
Not necessary. Why not something like, "It was the BrownDesk Sheraton. I've spoken to my contacts there, however; and they said that they will get back to me. Let's not pass judgment until we see how they respond. I'll report back here."
Old May 17, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
The whole "they said I'm a VIP because I hold a meeting there ever year" makes the hotel worse in my eyes.

To me, that leaves one of 2 scenarios. I'm of course assuming your 3 rooms weren't the yearly meeting to which you're referring.

As I've mentioned many times on these boards, my wife is a senior special events marketing person. She's worked at some prestigious companies such as NBC, BMW, and Forbes (yay, a full name). She routinely books events for up to 10,000 people and rents entire properties. When she stays at a property for work, she is treated like a true VIP unlike lowly PLT100's like me. For sight inspections and programs her room is ALWAYS read and full of crap and goodies no matter when she arrives. I"m fairly certain the room is left empty the night before just in case. I don't see a hotel ever making a VIP wait for a room.

That leaves the hotel either lying about what a VIP you are or the front desk dropping the ball to a much bigger level than you're giving them credit for. I also don't think the compensation for a VIP for be a mere 2,500 points.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I don't feel comfortable naming the property as I'm still here.
Why? Do you think the management of the property would do something to you?
Old May 17, 2015, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
If the OP feels that they have been made whole and believes it wont happen again (at least to them). I kinda of understand not wanting to out the name of the hotel. After all the OP said they stay there often and have meetings there as well.

Hopefully the hotel wont push it onto someone else instead of the OP. But Id probabbly due exactly as the OP and if I feel the hotel has listened to me and I plan many more stays and meetings there,I too wouldnt come forth and publish the name of the hotel
Old May 17, 2015, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigBopper
The whole "they said I'm a VIP because I hold a meeting there ever year" makes the hotel worse in my eyes.

To me, that leaves one of 2 scenarios. I'm of course assuming your 3 rooms weren't the yearly meeting to which you're referring.

As I've mentioned many times on these boards, my wife is a senior special events marketing person. She's worked at some prestigious companies such as NBC, BMW, and Forbes (yay, a full name). She routinely books events for up to 10,000 people and rents entire properties. When she stays at a property for work, she is treated like a true VIP unlike lowly PLT100's like me. For sight inspections and programs her room is ALWAYS read and full of crap and goodies no matter when she arrives. I"m fairly certain the room is left empty the night before just in case. I don't see a hotel ever making a VIP wait for a room.

That leaves the hotel either lying about what a VIP you are or the front desk dropping the ball to a much bigger level than you're giving them credit for. I also don't think the compensation for a VIP for be a mere 2,500 points.
To be clear, I'm nowhere NEAR the VIP status your wife is and I have no illusions otherwise. But as I keep returning, and working with the same sales rep, I guess she wanted to do something nice. It was the first year she mentioned anything about it and I had forgotten until the sales manager mentioned it again.

Oh and no, the three rooms weren't the only ones I had booked. The three were the ones going on my card; the others were going to the master (for obvious reasons).
Old May 17, 2015, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
No and perhaps I'm being too careful, but as a 5'1" woman often traveling alone, I don't like posting publicly information about where I'm at, despite being mostly anonymous here.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
If the OP feels that they have been made whole and believes it wont happen again (at least to them). I kinda of understand not wanting to out the name of the hotel. After all the OP said they stay there often and have meetings there as well.

Hopefully the hotel wont push it onto someone else instead of the OP. But Id probabbly due exactly as the OP and if I feel the hotel has listened to me and I plan many more stays and meetings there,I too wouldnt come forth and publish the name of the hotel
Thank you. I certainly thought about posting it but I wanted to give them time to respond. They did and I'm satisfied that my experience was an anomaly. Also, I'm the public face of my company when I'm traveling and I don't exactly want to burn bridges, even for a customer service fail, with a hotel I plan to do business with in the future. The sales manager very nicely said they want to do better next time if I decide to use them again. And for my needs in that city, the property works well for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.