Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There apparently are some public buses that can be used to cross the border, but I don't know the details. I suspect they connect the towns and not the parks.
There are other buses that connect the main town on the Brazilian side (Foz de Igaucu) to the park entrance on the Brazilian side. That's how I got around; when I visited, I stayed at a Best Western on the Brazilian side for 2 nights, visited the park on the day in between by bus, and then took different buses (1) across the border and then (2) to the Sheraton Iguazu, where I stayed several more nights. (I never went back to Brazil, since I flew in on the Brazilian side but was flying out on the Argentinian side.)

(In addition to the Best Western, there's also an Ibis and a Wyndham, in terms of points programs hotels, in Foz de Iguacu.)

So there's a bus that crosses the border that connects the towns, and then in each town there are buses to the parks.

Info on all these buses (and more) is at: http://wikitravel.org/en/Igua%C3%A7u_Falls

While staying at the Sheraton Igauzu, I got a bit bored of the hotel restuarant and so for one or two meals I took the bus into the Argentian side town (Puerto Iguazu) to eat there.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 9, 2017 at 8:23 pm
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the updated information. Anjaro, what fees were you required to pay at the hotel for your points stay?

I'm also curious about the car rental thing. From my experience, car rentals in Argentina tend to be expensive. If this was Orlando or some place like that, I could see renting a car just to get to restaurants and the Brazilian side of the falls. But in Argentina, I assume I'd be looking at more hassle than convenience on a car rental. No? BTW, I see you started on the Brazilian side. I'll need to start on the Argentine side, although I'm currently planning on continuing my trip in Brazil.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can drive your own car into the park on the Argentina side and park in the hotel lot, although I don't know whether they charge for parking. On the Brazil side, only park buses, the hotel shuttle bus, and car service vehicles (not taxis) arranged by the hotel can drive into the park and up to the hotel. The hotel maintains a reception waiting room at the gate to the park while is removed from the area other tourists use when entering the park and waiting for the park buses.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by iahphx

Thanks for the updated information. Anjaro, what fees were you required to pay at the hotel for your points stay?

I'm also curious about the car rental thing. From my experience, car rentals in Argentina tend to be expensive. If this was Orlando or some place like that, I could see renting a car just to get to restaurants and the Brazilian side of the falls. But in Argentina, I assume I'd be looking at more hassle than convenience on a car rental. No? BTW, I see you started on the Brazilian side. I'll need to start on the Argentine side, although I'm currently planning on continuing my trip in Brazil.
The three night total for the Sheraton fee was ARS 6,299,08, or USD 410.62 at the time. It was identified on the folio as ‘award fee’ or something along those lines. There were no other charges on the bill. I remember thinking that it would have cost just a little bit more to pay the cash rate.

The total for the AVIS car was about USD 180, for what they called a ‘premium minivan’, in reality, a mini SUV with automatic transmission (Zafira). That included Brazilian insurance, but not Argentine. That is purchased on the Brazilian side near the border crossing for around BRL 50 from a storefront. Nobody ever asks for it, on either side. There were no hassles from either AVIS or the police. Border crossing is quick unless you go in the morning or afternoon rush hours. The turn off to the Sheraton is bit tricky but it is clearly indicated in Google maps. You should download the area maps beforehand because cell coverage is sketchy along the road. Driving into Paraguay is not permitted with a Brazilian AVIS car.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx

Although I haven't rented a car in the Iguazu area, I have rented cars in other "small" areas of Argentina, and even though in these cases I definitely needed a car (because I was covering areas many hours of driving apart), it was still a hassle. On my last rental (at Bariloche airport), I got a car that seemed decades old, with no air conditioning, and on the all-too-common unpaved dusty roads in Argentina all the dust kept getting sucked into vent system and if I ever ran the vent it blew all over me and everything else inside the car. Also, they're expensive enough for stick shift, but if you're not used to that and need automatic, even way more expensive.

So given that it's a cheap bus ride to the nearby town for restaurants, and you can get to the Brazilian cheap (though not fast) via 3 buses (one to town, one across the border, and one to the park entrance) or not too bad a cost (compared to rental) by taxi, it's probably not worth getting a rental for just the parks and the town nearest each one. And keep in mind, there might be extra hassles taking a rental car across the border too. So a rental car just to save a few bus trips to restaurants in town???

Oh, and if you're coming for the USA and going to be driving in Argentina, you definitely would need to get an Internation Driving Permit from your local AAA office (which requires 2 passport photos). Argentina has many police stops in ruralish areas, and they want to see that (which is basically a translation of your drivers license). I wouldn't be surprised if they'd demand that (among other things0 at a border crossing if trying the border crossing with a rental. car but as a non-local.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 10, 2017 at 6:31 pm
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:24 am

I have driven a Brazilian rent-a-car on both sides of the border near Iguaçú several times over the years. I can vouch for the high quality of cars rented from AVIS at the Brazilian airport. Automatic air-conditioned cars in near mint condition are available, although cheaper models are also offered. I was stopped by Argentine road blocks a few times but the encounters were very brief, courteous and straight-forward. The police accepted my untranslated Brazilian driver license with no difficulty. I can’t comment on documentation from the USA or other countries. I was never asked to show the cross-border insurance on either side. Passports must be presented on the Argentine side. There may well be a delay at rush hour or if there is a bus ahead of you – just avoid those times of day. There were never any hassles of any kind. There is a duty-free shop on the Argentine side and Argentine customs agents do occasionally look superficially at the baggage. Going back into Brazil motorists are not required to stop for formalities, even coming from the Argentine duty-free shop, unless they need to present immigration documents. By the way, as with most duty-free stores, the prices are high.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by ajnaro
The three night total for the Sheraton fee was ARS 6,299,08, or USD 410.62 at the time. It was identified on the folio as ‘award fee’ or something along those lines. There were no other charges on the bill. I remember thinking that it would have cost just a little bit more to pay the cash rate.

The total for the AVIS car was about USD 180, for what they called a ‘premium minivan’, in reality, a mini SUV with automatic transmission (Zafira). That included Brazilian insurance, but not Argentine. That is purchased on the Brazilian side near the border crossing for around BRL 50 from a storefront. Nobody ever asks for it, on either side. There were no hassles from either AVIS or the police. Border crossing is quick unless you go in the morning or afternoon rush hours. The turn off to the Sheraton is bit tricky but it is clearly indicated in Google maps. You should download the area maps beforehand because cell coverage is sketchy along the road. Driving into Paraguay is not permitted with a Brazilian AVIS car.
Were you charged $400+ in fees, although staying on points, because you live in Argentina? I saw on the website that Argentinian residents have to pay an additional fee.

We plan to stay at the Sheraton at the end of October for two nights using dollars and points. It says we would also pay an additional $49 in taxes. Should we expect to pay over $400 in fees on top of the taxes?

Can anyone who has been to the Sheraton within the last few months report if they have remodeled the rooms? I have read so many disgruntled reviews about ceiling leaks, shower leaks and spraying all over, poor food quality, etc. While everyone agrees the stay is all about the location, I look towards this stay with concern if the many negative comments are true.

If you decide to walk into the park at 7 am, would you be able to do it or is there a barrier that prevents such early morning wanderings?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by CAtraveker
Were you charged $400+ in fees, although staying on points, because you live in Argentina? I saw on the website that Argentinian residents have to pay an additional fee.

We plan to stay at the Sheraton at the end of October for two nights using dollars and points. It says we would also pay an additional $49 in taxes. Should we expect to pay over $400 in fees on top of the taxes?

Can anyone who has been to the Sheraton within the last few months report if they have remodeled the rooms? I have read so many disgruntled reviews about ceiling leaks, shower leaks and spraying all over, poor food quality, etc. While everyone agrees the stay is all about the location, I look towards this stay with concern if the many negative comments are true.

If you decide to walk into the park at 7 am, would you be able to do it or is there a barrier that prevents such early morning wanderings?
I do not live in Argentina.

I do not know if the Sheraton will charge you $400 in fees. I have asked for a folio as I do not remember the exact description of the fee. My stay was booked completely on points -- not cash & points -- and they still made the charge. I did not put up a strenuos fight but I did enquire at check-out.

The rooms I saw on this stay were fine. The junior suite on the third floor had been remodeled. The suite with large varandah on the first floor did not seem renovated, but it was in good condition and clean.

The food was mid-level, but considerably better than anything in the Argentine side of the park. The Brazilian side of the park offers a prix-fixe self-service buffet that is plentiful and offers many options. It is at a modest but large and scenic restaurant on the top level overlooking the river just before the falls.

I don't remember any pysical barriers near the Sheraton but there is a train involved and there are plenty of park staff.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You don't need a train from the Sheraton to the start of paths through the park. The train is for people at the park entrance. If you're staying, you would normally come and go from the park by taxi and walk when within the park.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weird about those fees for award reservations. I would sure appreciate more information. I actually emailed the hotel to see if I'd have to pay US$60 for my teenage daughter (extra bed) on an award stay, and they said "no."

Obviously, having to pay hundreds of extra dollars would be a very bad thing.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat.
I stayed 2 nights on points in January - I wasn't charged any fees, the only thing on my bill were my restaurant charges.

The rooms are fine, nothing special, but I didn't notice any problems.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:06 am

I just made our reservations for the end of October using dollars and points. The agent I spoke to on the phone told me the price of additional taxes for our 2 night stay ($49) and she said there are no fees, other than for services (spa, etc.) and meals that we might order. I told her about a person being on a points stay and being charged an extra $400 in fees and she said she doesn't know what that would be for if they're not for services and meals.

If it were me, I would take that unexplained charge up with Starwood. Or, perhaps, email the manager first. There doesn't seem to be a logical reason for such a large charge listed as a "fee."
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You don't need a train from the Sheraton to the start of paths through the park. The train is for people at the park entrance. If you're staying, you would normally come and go from the park by taxi and walk when within the park.
Right. The train from near the hotel is for access to Devil's Throat and the boardwalk.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by CAtraveker

...If it were me, I would take that unexplained charge up with Starwood. Or, perhaps, email the manager first. There doesn't seem to be a logical reason for such a large charge listed as a "fee.
I've asked for the folio. I'll post the result.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajnaro
Right. The train from near the hotel is for access to Devil's Throat and the boardwalk.
And just to clarify, it's simply a train for people who don't want to walk (or feel they don't have time to walk because they're on a short daytrip). Plenty of people do walk, and furthermore if you're staying at the Sheraton you can walk before the first train of the day or after the last train of the day, whereas if you're taking the train you have to pay attention to the schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.