Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks MSPeconomist. I kind of know to never change money at a hotel front desk (unless you really need to and there's no alternative). It does sound like I can probably find an ATM, though. It's a bit weird because I'm staying on SPG points. Otherwise, if I owed money for the room, I'd feel comfortable bringing "extra" pesos and partially paying my room tab in cash when I was leaving for Brazil.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks MSPeconomist. I kind of know to never change money at a hotel front desk (unless you really need to and there's no alternative). It does sound like I can probably find an ATM, though. It's a bit weird because I'm staying on SPG points. Otherwise, if I owed money for the room, I'd feel comfortable bringing "extra" pesos and partially paying my room tab in cash when I was leaving for Brazil.
We were at the Melia (former Sheraton) on October 31 and November 1. We stayed using points and cash. We got stuck with extra pesos because we thought we would pay the cash portion or taxes, if any, with pesos and a credit card. Apparently, the credit card was charged prior to our arrival so we ended up with the equivalent of $40 in pesos. We couldn't exchange them at the airport because it was too small an amount for them.

When we checked in, the process was seamless. We were welcomed warmly, told our reservations were in order, offered an upgrade to a Falls view room for $60 per night (which we declined because we actually like looking at the jungle). Breakfast was included and delicious. Coffee was very good. We sat at a table that had a lovely view across the lawn to the Falls. The view of the Falls behind the front desk was really nice and changed regularly with the wind.

We didn't have to pay a park fee. I'm not sure if it is because the Melia worked something out or what. I asked another couple at breakfast where we pay our fee and they said they didn't have to pay a fee and they were in the park the day before.

When we got to our room, the first thing I did was check behind and under the curtains for bugs since someone reported in a review that there were dead bugs around. I didn't find any. Our room was very clean. The bed was very comfortable. We enjoyed watching the birds flitting across the treetops.

Because we were there during the full moon, we bought the dinner and moonlight Falls tour package at the park. The buffet dinner was delicious and we had an enjoyable walk to the Devil's Throat in the moonlight. We boarded the train to get to the place where the walk begins.

In the morning, we walked into the park just before 8 am in order to get to the closest train station to get to the Devil's Throat Falls before the huge crowds. The train came in pretty full from the front entrance but some people got off to hike so we were able to board. There was plenty of room to take nice photos without other people in them.

During our stay, we were fortunate because the winds were blowing the mist away from us. We never got wet. The Falls were full, though, because there had been a lot of rain the week before. The water was brown due to deforestation and the rain washing the soil down the river.

We flew into Foz do Iguacu from Rio and spent one night at the Ibis in Brazil. We spent the morning at the Falls (got soaked but dried quickly in the heat) and then walked across the street to the bird park. We went to the Falls by local bus which had a stop two blocks from our hotel. The hotel agreed to store most of our baggage because we were going to Argentina for 2 nights and then back to the Ibis for one night before flying out. So we repacked one roller board and two backpacks and put them in the storage lockers (cost $8) at the Falls park. After we were finished seeing everything, we gathered our belongings and we boarded the Rio Uruguay bus and headed to the Melia in Argentina. The bus cost a couple of dollars in Brazilian reales. The bus driver had us all get off at the Brazil immigration office, go through it for our stamped passports and re-enter the bus on the other side of the border. Then, the bus stopped again at the Argentina immigration office and we got our passports stamped again. We took the bus to the central terminal in Iguazu Falls and there we boarded a bus for the Falls park and told the driver we wanted to get off at the Melia. We reversed this process a few days later to get back to the Ibis in Brazil. The bus driver waited for us to go through the Brazil immigration because there was no line. We were done before he could finish his cigarette. From the time we boarded the bus at the central terminal in Argentina to the time we were dropped off at the bus stop by the Ibis hotel in Brazil, 30 minutes had passed. We got in so early in the afternoon that we checked into our hotel and took the bus out to the Itaipu Dam, the second largest in the world. We were able to get on the last full tour of the day.

I know this is rather lengthy but I hope it helps someone. We were a bit unsure of this and that before we went but getting around at the Falls is pretty straightforward.

The only place to stay is at the Melia. It is well worth the money to get the whole Falls experience. The town is about 20-30 minutes away---$25 by taxi one way. If we go back, we're staying at the Melia! Hope you enjoy your experience as well as we did.
unclepants likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CAtraveker
We flew into Foz do Iguacu from Rio and spent one night at the Ibis in Brazil. We spent the morning at the Falls (got soaked but dried quickly in the heat) and then walked across the street to the bird park. We went to the Falls by local bus which had a stop two blocks from our hotel. The hotel agreed to store most of our baggage because we were going to Argentina for 2 nights and then back to the Ibis for one night before flying out. So we repacked one roller board and two backpacks and put them in the storage lockers (cost $8) at the Falls park. After we were finished seeing everything, we gathered our belongings and we boarded the Rio Uruguay bus and headed to the Melia in Argentina. The bus cost a couple of dollars in Brazilian reales. The bus driver had us all get off at the Brazil immigration office, go through it for our stamped passports and re-enter the bus on the other side of the border. Then, the bus stopped again at the Argentina immigration office and we got our passports stamped again. We took the bus to the central terminal in Iguazu Falls and there we boarded a bus for the Falls park and told the driver we wanted to get off at the Melia. We reversed this process a few days later to get back to the Ibis in Brazil. The bus driver waited for us to go through the Brazil immigration because there was no line. We were done before he could finish his cigarette. From the time we boarded the bus at the central terminal in Argentina to the time we were dropped off at the bus stop by the Ibis hotel in Brazil, 30 minutes had passed. We got in so early in the afternoon that we checked into our hotel and took the bus out to the Itaipu Dam, the second largest in the world. We were able to get on the last full tour of the day.
Sounds like you got a lot of experience with the bus system in the area! I'm heading there next week, and am wondering how easy it would be to get from the Sheraton/Melia to IGU airport on the Brazil side via public bus? I realize I can probably hire a cab but I imagine it would be expensive. I'm ok with having to make 1 transfer somewhere in Puerto Iguazu or Foz do Igaucu (I probably won't want to deal with 2 transfers though).
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Sounds like you got a lot of experience with the bus system in the area! I'm heading there next week, and am wondering how easy it would be to get from the Sheraton/Melia to IGU airport on the Brazil side via public bus? I realize I can probably hire a cab but I imagine it would be expensive. I'm ok with having to make 1 transfer somewhere in Puerto Iguazu or Foz do Igaucu (I probably won't want to deal with 2 transfers though).
I'm not really understanding the need to take "complicated" bus rides. How much is a taxi from the Sheraton/Melia to the Brazilian falls? If it's an extra US$10 or $15 than taking the bus (and transferring at the central bus station), I'm OK with that (and I'm generally not a "taxi guy").
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:43 am

I'm not really understanding the need to take "complicated" bus rides. How much is a taxi from the Sheraton/Melia to the Brazilian falls? If it's an extra US$10 or $15 than taking the bus (and transferring at the central bus station), I'm OK with that (and I'm generally not a "taxi guy").
I don’t think it’s about a “need” to take the bus. For us, it’s part of the adventure of travel. I hope I didn’t make it sound complicated because it was very simple.

Someone else will have to address the cost of taxis. We were quoted $25 from the central bus terminal in Puerto Iguazu to the Melia and had a difficult time shaking the guy off because we wanted to grab a bite to eat at the bakery across the street. You’ll have to remember that we’re talking about small towns and small bus terminals so no chance getting lost or walking long distances to change buses. The difference between taking a bus ($4 pp) vs taxi ($25), besides cost, was a walk up the Melia driveway of 70-80 yards. That’s a small fraction of the walk you’ll do in the Falls Park. We enjoyed the bus because we sat higher than in a taxi and could see outside.

We did take a taxi from the Ibis in Foz do Iguazu to the airport as we left because a storm blew in that morning and it absolutely poured. This taxi cost the equivalent of $10.

We loved the Falls and Brazil in general. In Săo Paulo, we took public transportation all over the city—-but that’s another thread topic.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by CAtraveker
I don’t think it’s about a “need” to take the bus. For us, it’s part of the adventure of travel. I hope I didn’t make it sound complicated because it was very simple.

Someone else will have to address the cost of taxis. We were quoted $25 from the central bus terminal in Puerto Iguazu to the Melia and had a difficult time shaking the guy off because we wanted to grab a bite to eat at the bakery across the street. You’ll have to remember that we’re talking about small towns and small bus terminals so no chance getting lost or walking long distances to change buses. The difference between taking a bus ($4 pp) vs taxi ($25), besides cost, was a walk up the Melia driveway of 70-80 yards. That’s a small fraction of the walk you’ll do in the Falls Park. We enjoyed the bus because we sat higher than in a taxi and could see outside.

We did take a taxi from the Ibis in Foz do Iguazu to the airport as we left because a storm blew in that morning and it absolutely poured. This taxi cost the equivalent of $10.

We loved the Falls and Brazil in general. In Săo Paulo, we took public transportation all over the city—-but that’s another thread topic.
So do you think I would be able to take a bus from the Melia to the Brazil Airport? Where would I need to transfer?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:38 pm

So do you think I would be able to take a bus from the Melia to the Brazil Airport? Where would I need to transfer?
OK, this only works when it’s not raining. You take the bus that stops at the end of the Melia driveway to the central terminal. There are windows right there in front of where the bus parks that sell tickets to Foz do Iguacu. Ask your bus driver which one leaves soon. Both Rio Uruguay and Crucero del Norte were leaving within 15 minutes of each other so we were told to get on the first one, Crucero del Norte. It was parked right next to our bus. The driver was nice and handed us a form to complete for the Brazil border office. As it was noon and there were only 4 of us on the bus, the driver waited for us to go into the Brazil border office to get stamped into Brazil. If there is a long line at the office, the driver will tell you to take your luggage because he will leave you and you will pick up the next bus. The buses are frequent. Tell the bus driver you want to get off at the McDonald’s in Foz do Iguacu. Then, you walk directly across the street and pick up bus 120 that goes in the opposite direction to the Falls and the airport. Total cost pp was the equivalent of about $8.

If I were you, I wouldn’t leave too late in the afternoon because I think they have rush hour traffic at the border crossing. When we were leaving Brazil and heading into Argentina, we saw a lot of cars on the other side of the road heading into Brazil. This was around 5 pm on a weekday.

Good luck whatever mode of transportation you take. It’s wonderful to have choices.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My SPG-point stay at the Melia went off without a hitch. My first visit to the property in more than 20 years and not that much has changed! The new owner (from the Middle East) is apparently approving room renovations and will add a fourth floor to the building. The condition of the property is generally OK (my room was better than 3 star quality), and service is good. The free breakfast buffet was better than most 4-star hotels I've stayed in (it even included "champagne"). For dinner, they serve only a buffet, which at more than US$40 seems overpriced but not outrageous. We ate a big buffet lunch at 2:30 at the parilla buffet about a 5 minute walk from the hotel for $16 (decent for the price), and then just had a few snacks for dinner.

The huge advantage of this hotel is that it's the only one in the national park. It's great to be able to stroll early (definitely be on the paths at 8 when they open) and late (they close at 6) and to take a break during the day. If there's a rainy spell, it's an even bigger advantage. I cannot overstate the advantages of staying at this property compared to the alternatives. That said, you only need a night or two (we stayed 2, and that was plenty), and you should then move on.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My SPG-point stay at the Melia went off without a hitch. My first visit to the property in more than 20 years and not that much has changed! The new owner (from the Middle East) is apparently approving room renovations and will add a fourth floor to the building. The condition of the property is generally OK (my room was better than 3 star quality), and service is good. The free breakfast buffet was better than most 4-star hotels I've stayed in (it even included "champagne"). For dinner, they serve only a buffet, which at more than US$40 seems overpriced but not outrageous. We ate a big buffet lunch at 2:30 at the parilla buffet about a 5 minute walk from the hotel for $16 (decent for the price), and then just had a few snacks for dinner.

The huge advantage of this hotel is that it's the only one in the national park. It's great to be able to stroll early (definitely be on the paths at 8 when they open) and late (they close at 6) and to take a break during the day. If there's a rainy spell, it's an even bigger advantage. I cannot overstate the advantages of staying at this property compared to the alternatives. That said, you only need a night or two (we stayed 2, and that was plenty), and you should then move on.
Does the bar (next to the front desk, not on the same level as the restaurant) still have a snack menu?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does the bar (next to the front desk, not on the same level as the restaurant) still have a snack menu?
Yes, they do, with sandwiches and other stuff.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, they do, with sandwiches and other stuff.
The "problem" with the bar food is that it's a little expensive for what it is. Kind of a US$16 burger type thing. For the same price (actually, a bit less), you get all the steak you can eat at the nearby parilla with appetizers, dessert, etc. Of course, the parilla closes at 4 (and realistically, you should arrive before 3 to make sure there's still meat on the grill), and then you're pretty much stuck with the hotel food. If you're coming from Buenos Aires, I think it's a great idea to bring along a few beers (no liquids rule for carry-on bags in Argentina) and snacks to get you through the evening. That's what we did: free breakfast buffet at 7:30, parilla buffet at 2:30, simple self-serve snack in the evening. Given the remote location, I thought we ate very well for almost nothing.

Of course, if you don't mind paying a little extra for hotel bar food, the bar is fine for a snack.

Last edited by iahphx; Nov 28, 2017 at 8:59 pm
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:41 am

I stayed over Thanksgiving and I should note that the credit card transaction for the final bill showed up on my statement as still being "Sheraton Iguazu". So if you pay with an SPG Amex card, I think it'll count as 2x points for SPG stays. At least for now...
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:20 am

DO you guys recommend a taxi or taking the private car service to this hotel? I was told $30USD from IGR to the hotel. Is it easier with a private car? Also in terms of the park fee, do you pay at the hotel or on the way to the hotel? Not clear

Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
DO you guys recommend a taxi or taking the private car service to this hotel? I was told $30USD from IGR to the hotel. Is it easier with a private car? Also in terms of the park fee, do you pay at the hotel or on the way to the hotel? Not clear

Thanks
You pay at the entrance to the park, on the way to the hotel, when going my private car. I opted for a rent-a-car car from the Brazilian airport IGU
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:31 am

Thanks, do you think $30USD is reasonable or a taxi would be cheaper?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.