Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 4:50 pm
Used to be highman123

Posted a review about my recent stay.

http://www.mightytravels.com/1323275..._argentina.php

The hotel is a good option for seeing the Iguazu Falls in style and in a relaxed manner. However there isn't much else to do and it feels the hotel does take advantage of the captive nature of fall tourists. The wifi is barely working and the food is truly just average. I'm not sure I'd be back.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Delta Gold, Hertz PC (Prefer Silvercar)
how long do people recommend staying in the Sheraton and Iguazu in generally? I'm flying in from buenos aires early in the morning and will land around 7am. first day check out the argentina side. second day go to the brazil side and fly out around 6pm out of igu.

would 1 1/2 days and 1 night be enough or should i just make it 2 nights?

would it make sense to stay in the sheraton one night and stay in the brazil side the 2nd night?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ddng
how long do people recommend staying in the Sheraton and Iguazu in generally? I'm flying in from buenos aires early in the morning and will land around 7am. first day check out the argentina side. second day go to the brazil side and fly out around 6pm out of igu.

would it make sense to stay in the sheraton one night and stay in the brazil side the 2nd night?
It really depends how much you want to do and at how leisurely a pace. We did just one night at the Sheraton and felt we were able to see what we wanted to see on both sides with even a bit less time than you will have, and without feeling we were rushing too much. But we didn't do boat tours or anything, and we did carefully plan out our time in advance so as to be in the park when it opened, etc.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 1:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
We did 5 night / 4 days and enjoyed having lots of time trekking in the park and relaxing by the pool and on our terrace.

If I only had 1 or 2 nights, I'd consider skipping the Brazilian side, and focus fully on the Argentinean side (which we found the most beautiful and impressive).
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ddng

Originally Posted by Maykita
It really depends how much you want to do and at how leisurely a pace. We did just one night at the Sheraton and felt we were able to see what we wanted to see on both sides with even a bit less time than you will have, and without feeling we were rushing too much. But we didn't do boat tours or anything, and we did carefully plan out our time in advance so as to be in the park when it opened, etc.
Originally Posted by raunow
We did 5 night / 4 days and enjoyed having lots of time trekking in the park and relaxing by the pool and on our terrace.

If I only had 1 or 2 nights, I'd consider skipping the Brazilian side, and focus fully on the Argentinean side (which we found the most beautiful and impressive).
Even though these are different pieces of advice, I kind of agree with both of them. If you're squeezed for time, 1.5 days is certainly ok. But I'd say a couple of nights in Iguazu, which is what we did, is better. And I can see the appeal of an even more leisurely visit, especially if you're the sort who might want to spend some time by the pool, or on your balcony with a view of the largest falls and its roar in the distance (though make sure you get a Falls View room). For a 1.5. or 2 day visit, I'd suggest skipping the Brazilian side. There's enough to see on the Argentine side, which I've heard (but can't say from experience) is the nicer of the two.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
For a 1.5. or 2 day visit, I'd suggest skipping the Brazilian side. There's enough to see on the Argentine side, which I've heard (but can't say from experience) is the nicer of the two.
My experience suggests to me that the Argentine side of Iguazu Falls is best for an intimate and close experience of the park; while the Brazilian side is best for the overall view of the falls — with a very up-close view of one of the largest falls in the park.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I was there for a half-day the first day, a full day the next day, and a half-day the last day. I stayed at the Sheraton both nights.
I stayed for two nights at this hotel property and did not have to rush through anything.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta Silver
Does anyone know whether you are charged in US Dollars or Argentine Pesos for you hotel stay? My reservation is not prepaid and I'm just wondering whether I can take advantage of the blue market rates. Also, was there a reliable place to change money? Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by rebelloc
Does anyone know whether you are charged in US Dollars or Argentine Pesos for you hotel stay? My reservation is not prepaid and I'm just wondering whether I can take advantage of the blue market rates. Also, was there a reliable place to change money? Thanks!
not sure about where to get blue dollars. I'm sure you can find them in Puerto Iguazu, but the hotel charges in pesos, converts to dollars only if you want to pay in dollars. Just came back from 4 great days. Definitely go to both Argentine and Brazilian side. Each have their own unique personalities and both offer very "up-close" views
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
I think two nights would be a lot better than one. Also, if you have to go to the trouble and expense of getting a visa for Brazil just for a one day trip --- it is definitely NOT worth all that IMHO. Finally, I would not count on being able to buy pesos at the "blue" rate in Puerto Iguazu as it's something you have to do under the table (aka against the law) and run the risk of getting counterfeit notes.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by postular

Finally, I would not count on being able to buy pesos at the "blue" rate in Puerto Iguazu as it's something you have to do under the table (aka against the law) and run the risk of getting counterfeit notes.
As has been said above, hotels charge in Argentine pesos. The mercado azul, at least in Buenos Aires, is quite open and not at all in hiding. You just walk along Calle Florida, or equivalent streets in other parts of town, and agents known as ‘arbolitos’ (little trees) are lined up on the street shouting ‘dólares’ or ‘cambio’. You negotiate a rate and the arbolito takes you to a shop or an office where the transaction is carried out.

You can check the current rate online at:

http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/

and many other sites. Look for the ‘informal’ rate. If all that seems like too much risk to you, you might be able to use xoom.com and pick up your pesos, at a rate about half-way between official and blue, at various points around the country. Exchange at hotels or airports is much more unfavorable. Banks will use the official rate and give you a hard time.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ajnaro
As has been said above, hotels charge in Argentine pesos. The mercado azul, at least in Buenos Aires, is quite open and not at all in hiding. You just walk along Calle Florida, or equivalent streets in other parts of town, and agents known as ‘arbolitos’ (little trees) are lined up on the street shouting ‘dólares’ or ‘cambio’. You negotiate a rate and the arbolito takes you to a shop or an office where the transaction is carried out.

You can check the current rate online at:

http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/

and many other sites. Look for the ‘informal’ rate. If all that seems like too much risk to you, you might be able to use xoom.com and pick up your pesos, at a rate about half-way between official and blue, at various points around the country. Exchange at hotels or airports is much more unfavorable. Banks will use the official rate and give you a hard time.

You have identified the problem: there is a huge thriving black market for currency exchange in Buenos Aires but even that is very much "at your own risk". "In hiding" or not, these are still clandestine and illegal operations and the highly selective enforcement of the law can vary at the drop of the hat. I would not expect to find the same options in little Puerto Iguazu unless you already have contacts there.

Last edited by postular; Aug 6, 2014 at 7:36 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I stayed here for two nights last December.
On the first day, I went to the Itaipu Dam and the Brazil side.
On the tour of the dam, you cross into Paraguay -- no visa needed for Paraguay as you on a bus or a short stop or two the two time when in Paraguy.
On the second day, I went to the Argentina side.

I would say that if someone has two days, to go to both sides than just to stay on one side - the two sides are somewhat different.

I agree that the hotel is just average, but I stayed on C&P and used a SNA and thought that this was pretty good value.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I would say that if someone has two days, to go to both sides than just to stay on one side
Don't forget the extra reciprocity fee and visa requirement for Brazil. Personally, I find their visa application extremely intrusive.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Personally, I find their visa application extremely intrusive.
Good thing you haven't seen the US one then
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Contrary to recent reports on here, the place has recently undergone a full renovation with the rooms being updated and modernized. I stayed there last week and the food was superb coupled along with the staff.... Excellent breakfast and brilliant dinner too - all very reasonably priced.

Also you really DO have to do both the Brazilian side and Argentinian side to get the the full effects. It is well worth the journey into Brazil for the day or afternoon.

You get an entirely different perspective on the Brazilian side and in fact you visit an entirely different section of the park if you only decide to visit one part of the park,

You won't regret it if you decide to do it... And it is well worth the trek... After all, you've already made the trek there - why would you be satisfied with only seeing 50%?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.