Best way to change Starwood Ambassador

 
Old May 5, 15, 6:41 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: SPG Plat 100, Hyatt Diamond, National EE and bunch of other mid-tier status
Posts: 514
Best way to change Starwood Ambassador

I was wondering if anyone has successfully changed their ambassador and what justification you've used.

I'm not very happy with my ambassador, failed 2 out of 3 requests so far despite promise that she will take care of it and the only proactive communication I have received from her is a form introduction email.

There are a few posts here that indicate that the Starwood Lurkers can help initiate the change process. Could I use my Starwood Ambassador's working hours not working well with my schedule as a justification to push through a change? if possible I don't want to throw her under the bus as she has been very polite if I initiate communication.
zerolife is offline  
Old May 5, 15, 6:56 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,166
Originally Posted by zerolife View Post
I was wondering if anyone has successfully changed their ambassador and what justification you've used.

I'm not very happy with my ambassador, failed 2 out of 3 requests so far despite promise that she will take care of it and the only proactive communication I have received from her is a form introduction email.

There are a few posts here that indicate that the Starwood Lurkers can help initiate the change process. Could I use my Starwood Ambassador's working hours not working well with my schedule as a justification to push through a change? if possible I don't want to throw her under the bus as she has been very polite if I initiate communication.
Why are you concerned about protecting her job if your Ambassador is objectively failing to do her job? I'm not sure how much proactive communication you expect after the introduction and initial offer of help, but if you have made three reasonable requests and two of them have not been attempted, then some changes are needed if only to protect your own time. OTOH, if you're making requests that she's overly optimistic about fulfilling, she does her best, and the hotel declines what you've requested, then it's not her fault--and your expectations might be unrealistic.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 5, 15, 7:01 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,747
I remember reading here on FT that each Amb has to take care of ?50 or ?100 P100s. So I really don't think his/her job will be at risk if you were to ask for a change - still plenty of work. I don't think you need to justify the change either.
travelswithmyself is offline  
Old May 5, 15, 7:05 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,166
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself View Post
I remember reading here on FT that each Amb has to take care of ?50 or ?100 P100s. So I really don't think his/her job will be at risk if you were to ask for a change - still plenty of work. I don't think you need to justify the change either.
If it's genuinely a matter of different personal styles, say so. However, I don't think it's good to just pass a bad Ambassador on to other Plat100s.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 5, 15 at 7:12 pm Reason: typo
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 5, 15, 7:09 pm
  #5  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: SPG
Posts: 713
Originally Posted by zerolife View Post
I was wondering if anyone has successfully changed their ambassador and what justification you've used.

I'm not very happy with my ambassador, failed 2 out of 3 requests so far despite promise that she will take care of it and the only proactive communication I have received from her is a form introduction email.

There are a few posts here that indicate that the Starwood Lurkers can help initiate the change process. Could I use my Starwood Ambassador's working hours not working well with my schedule as a justification to push through a change? if possible I don't want to throw her under the bus as she has been very polite if I initiate communication.
Hi zerolife,

We will be able to share your request with the relevant department. Do provide us with your SPG membership number via PM or email and we will pass it along to the team to review.

[email protected]

Chua Chie Ling | Social Media Specialist
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Starwood Lurker IV is offline  
Old May 5, 15, 7:16 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: SPG Plat 100, Hyatt Diamond, National EE and bunch of other mid-tier status
Posts: 514
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Why are you concerned about protecting her job if your Ambassador is objectively failing to do her job? I'm not sure how much proactive communication you expect after the introduction and initial offer of help, but if you have made three reasonable requests and two of them have not been attempted, then some changes are needed if only to protect your own time. OTOH, if you're making requests that she's overly optimistic about fulfilling, she does her best, and the hotel declines what you've requested, then it's not her fault--and your expectations might be unrealistic.
Maybe a bit selfish reason: Not sure how big the Ambassador group is but I think there is a good chance that that any new Ambassador will know the Ambassador I dropped. I'm thinking it doesn't help off to a good start if I complained about his/her colleague.

First issue was easily fixed by hotel front desk when I checked in the next time (wrong rate). She may have just forgotten or the hotel may have missed her email. With the second issue, she has been working on for quite a long time despite multiple status check. If it's unfixable, I would expect to be told so.
zerolife is offline  
Old May 5, 15, 8:40 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,747
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If it's genuinely a matter of different personal styles, say so. However, I don't think it's good to just pass a bad Ambassador on to other Plat100s.
True. But if the Amb was that bad at his/her job, I'm certain other P100s in his/her group would have complained or requested a change. Surely SPG would have some way of keeping track of such requests as part of good management, and would investigate if there were above-average requests/complaints.
travelswithmyself is offline  
Old May 5, 15, 9:18 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Posts: 849
Just to comment on this I will tell you that I had a face to face with my wonderful Ambassador and we discussed the problems with the program at length. What she told me was that having 50-100 clients would be a dream compared to the 206 that they have assigned her. It's practically impossible to give that many clients the service that they deserve. We are quite close so I do get extra good service but even she admitted I am the exception not the rule. The program needs to be reevaluated and more stringent requirements have to be re-established.
jchiguy1 is offline  
Old May 5, 15, 9:58 pm
  #9  
abk
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stl
Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
Posts: 2,937
A couple of years ago I complained here just as you did and SPG contacted me, changed my Ambassador and not only was it not a problem but they gave me a wonderful person.
abk is offline  
Old May 5, 15, 10:28 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Posts: 786
IIRC ambassador level number guest are 12,000 spg member and ambassador assign for amb guest is 120 / amb.
Few times to contact with my amb and all of issue are wonderful result.
Only contact my amb via email and not urgent issue.

Last edited by nongsom; May 5, 15 at 11:09 pm
nongsom is offline  
Old May 6, 15, 4:01 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Exp, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,606
Originally Posted by abk View Post
A couple of years ago I complained here just as you did and SPG contacted me, changed my Ambassador and not only was it not a problem but they gave me a wonderful person.
I have had my Amb changed on me (when they closed the old center) and I have requested to change my Amb in the past (wasn't happy with mis-information provided by that particular Ambassador). I was not treated worse either time although after changing at my request Amb didn't get sig better either.

I have the direct emails to the Mgr and Dir of the Amb group... PM if you want them. They will switch Ambs at your request.
TravelinSperry is offline  
Old May 6, 15, 6:46 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CEB - primary/YVR -secondary
Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Posts: 1,906
My question to the more experienced Plat100s out there, what exactly is bad service? I'm not too sure if my reasons/examples are valid.

But I am quite frustrated. One example, I requested for a table reservation at a club in Vienna for me and my friends. Instead of having 1 point of contact, (after saying she can help me and asked how many people are coming, time, date, etc.) she just forwarded my email to a different ambassador who then forwarded my email to the hotel concierge. So the ending was that I had to repeat myself all over again to the hotel concierge.

I really dont understand what an ambassador is for TBH if youre just going to forward my requests to someone else...

And let's not even start when it comes to missing points and/or stay/night requests. What a headache. Example, I requested to have my folio rechecked for missing points at Le Meridien Nice, she emails me back that she requested for my folio to be emailed to her for review...Problem is she requested for my folio from Le Meridien Cyberport...in Hong Kong! I am requesting a missing point review from a stay in Nice which is in France.

Last edited by supatight80; May 6, 15 at 7:36 am
supatight80 is offline  
Old May 6, 15, 8:06 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MCO-The Mouse House
Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Posts: 1,542
My ambassador isn't bad but I wouldn't say she's helpful either. I've literally gotten 3 emails from her this year. 2 were for promotions (apparently there's a Ceasars announcement coming today) and one was to ask if needed help with a booking. I see zero benefit to the program.

I'm just debating with myself whether to ask for a change or just not bother to hit 100 nights this year. I don't see the point in a change if I'm going to end up getting the same service.

Ironically, when I first got her we exchanged a few emails with me expressing my concerns about the program based on what I've read here. She assured me she'd never be like this. Unfortunately that was simply more marketing hype.
BigBopper is offline  
Old May 6, 15, 10:29 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: LHR and ZRH
Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Posts: 1,007
At the heart of the question is: what should we reasonably expect from our ambassadors?

Help in obtaining suite upgrades? In the last few Starwood hotels in which I stayed, the person responsible for deciding whether to upgrade me (and to which room) specifically told me: (i) they were not aware of my ambassador even being in touch; and (ii) in any event, when they decide whether and how to upgrade, they look at Starwood status and loyalty with that specific hotel, and do not consider ambassador intervention to be at all important. Thankfully, I was upgraded in each of these hotels and have no complaints.

Being my advocate within Starwood? Mine told me he was unable to intervene on the one time I needed it. I had to resolve the matter without his active support (which thankfully, I was able to do).

Being a general concierge? I have an Amex concierge service which is pretty good and also have a great secretary who is able to help with most things.

I'm not saying my Ambassador is bad. I just don't think I'll ever hit 100 nights specifically to keep this aspect of the service.
d'Yquem is offline  
Old May 6, 15, 1:27 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 676
Originally Posted by nongsom View Post
IIRC ambassador level number guest are 12,000 spg member and ambassador assign for amb guest is 120 / amb.
Few times to contact with my amb and all of issue are wonderful result.
Only contact my amb via email and not urgent issue.
My Ambassador, who I like very much, has over 200 Plats to take care of, and SPG really needs to hire more Ambassadors to make the workload more reasonable...they really messed things up when they closed the Lancaster call center in California.
Crazy4Birds is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: