Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA [Master Thread]

Westin Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA [Master Thread]

Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Here's a short review from my stay here a few months ago, you can view the full gallery of photos and properly formatted post here: Weekend Blitz - The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa Review – Palm Springs, California

-------------------------------

Booking

I had a conference here and booked a 3 night stay about 4.5 months in advance. I was able to get a corporate rate of $125 per night.

Check-in

I booked a 2 Queen room and, despite there being a large conference for the next few nights and the Coachella music festival starting on the weekend, rooms were still available for for the length of my stay. The agent said that they were able to give me an “upgrade” to a Deluxe golf course view room (Deluxe golf, non-smoking: 2 Queen Beds, 525 sq ft / 49 m˛) but, after I asked, said that a suite upgrade wouldn’t be possible due to the high occupancy. I confirmed this on the Starwood app: a suite with 1 king and a sofa bed was available but all of the 2 queen suites were sold out. At check-in, they gave me a voucher for a “special gift” to be picked up with the concierge.

I bought into their little gimmick and stopped by for my welcome gift. Turns out it was a coupon for the golf pro shop and spa. Real great gift, Westin. I’m glad that I stopped by however, because I learned that both restaurants at the property will give you a 20% discount on all food for showing your AAA card. This is a great deal, and who doesn’t have AAA anyway?

Coupons for already overpriced activities at the resort

The Room

The resort is very spread out and all rooms are in “villa” units spread around the property.

The good news is that many, if not all, rooms have a balcony and the most steps you’ll have to climb is one flight.

I’ve stayed at a few Starwood and Hyatt resorts, mostly in Asia, and can say that this Westin “resort” is a bit of a stretch. The room was bigger than a typical Westin but still nothing exceptionally resort-y feeling. That being said, the room was well appointed and more spacious than a typical Westin — and in good shape.

Deluxe Golf View Room: 2 Queen Beds

Deluxe Golf View Room: 2 Queen Beds

The Bathroom

The additional bathroom space was noticeable and highly convenient. This was a nice extra touch that pushed it past regular Westin territory and closer (but not all of the way) into “resort” territory. The tub/shower and toilet were in their own room and there were dual sinks and a closet in a separate area.

Property

The property was beautiful, a true “Desert Island” or whatever the area calls itself. The Westin is part of a much larger compound that must be hundreds of acres large. Adjacent to the “The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa” was another Westin property: The Westin Mission Hills Resort Villas, Palm Springs. Although it was easy to walk freely between the 2 resorts, there was limited pedestrian access to the rest of the property. I jogged around and it seems like they’ve got a full range of neighborhoods from duplex-style condos to huge luxury homes. It is truly a lush oasis amid the desert, full of vegetation and bright green golf courses with the backdrop of hilly mountains.

Restaurant

There are 4 dining choices at the resort: the full-service Italian restaurant (Pinzimini), Fireside Lounge, Season’s Grill and the market, Mission Hills Market & Café. I had lunch and dinner at Pinzimini and can say that it was great, much more on pace with resort quality.

Service

The service was fantastic. Check-in and concierge went over above; no complaints. The wait staff was always very polite and attentive, although it was obvious at times that English was a second language.

BOTTOM LINE: While the Westin Mission Hills Resort seems to be an older property, it has been renovated and is pretty much up to good quality resort standards. There are more golf courses and pools than you might know what to do with, but it’s one of the only tolerable places to be if you find yourself in the Palm Springs desert.
--------------------------
Yu can view the full gallery of photos and properly formatted post here: Weekend Blitz - The Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa Review – Palm Springs, California
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Alaska 100k, Hyatt Globalist
I'm staying here right now - the resort fee is pretty obnoxious at 29$ now. I didn't get it discounted for being platinum.

The platinum breakfast was offered as continental, that you could upgrade for 9$ to a full Buffet. Unfortunately the buffet was not offered on the days I am here, so it turned into a 19$x2 credit. Which sounds good but 12$ mimosas, 13$ oatmeal, 4$ coffee and 19$ omelettes it was easy to pay 40+ out of pocket for 2 people.

Also I've been charged a 10$ fee for them accepting an Amazon package on my behalf, which seems like something a "Resort Fee" should cover/include.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by techtravels89
I'm staying here right now - the resort fee is pretty obnoxious at 29$ now. I didn't get it discounted for being platinum.

The platinum breakfast was offered as continental, that you could upgrade for 9$ to a full Buffet. Unfortunately the buffet was not offered on the days I am here, so it turned into a 19$x2 credit. Which sounds good but 12$ mimosas, 13$ oatmeal, 4$ coffee and 19$ omelettes it was easy to pay 40+ out of pocket for 2 people.

Also I've been charged a 10$ fee for them accepting an Amazon package on my behalf, which seems like something a "Resort Fee" should cover/include.
This might be helpful
Resort Fees for Plats: Pls Post How Properties Are Handling "Alternative" Amenities
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Any recent stays? I got a snail mail offer for 5 days / 4 nights for a low price via AA. Debating whether it's worth it.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Any recent stays? I got a snail mail offer for 5 days / 4 nights for a low price via AA. Debating whether it's worth it.
Stayed last week...hadn't been in a few years.

Property is still very pleasant and well maintained...main pool was a zoo - not surprising given that it was spring break! Despite warning guests that chairs unattended for more than 30 minutes would not be held, people put towels on dozens of lounge chairs and didn't seem to ever show up. And the staff did nothing to enforce new policy. Didn't bother me though - I went to other pools which were much more peaceful anyways!

Rooms have been updated, are spacious and comfortable. We asked for housekeeping everyday when we went out - and everyday it was finished within 90 minutes...better than the St. Regis!

Food was standard issue resort food. Don't forget AAA 20% discount.

Took TS tour for 9000 points...took a little under 45 minutes after she realized I was not a good candidate (I've taken enough of these to know what to say to shut them down and make me a poor prospect).

Golf was nice and fast...played 18 holes in under 3 hours, which always makes me happy.

Staff was friendly and efficient.

Only real downside is terrible cell phone/wifi service...unless you have verizon.

A really relaxing week...not quite La Quinta Resort, but a good second choice.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:34 pm
Suspended

All things being equal, I prefer the Westin in Palm Desert, as it's similar, but newer, and IMHO, the suites are slightly nicer. But I got a promo deal for the Westin Mission Hills for 4 nights for $389, with no additional resort fee (but $7 a night for parking) for a 1 BR Villa Suite. The promo I got also includes either a $75 resort credit or 5000 SPG points. I was originally planning on staying there in April, but had to re-schedule the trip to October (that re-scheduling, under the terms of the promo deal, cost me a $75 change fee).

But I'm familiar with the property, having stayed there a while back, but subsequently having stayed in the Westin in Palm Desert a couple of times, and I bicycled around the Westin Mission Hills grounds as recently as last year. I should note that the Westin in Palm Desert is not completely built-out yet, but the buildings that are still under construction are the furthest away from the main complex, and there was no noticeable construction noise when I was last there.

Both resorts have very nice, busy main pools, and much quieter pools further from the main building.

I can't speak to the dining options at either of these Westins, because the Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert area is so loaded with fine dining options in all sorts of price ranges, cuisine types, and levels of luxury that I think it's silly to eat at either of these hotels, given the plethora of nearby fine and/or convenient dining choices, most of which are noticeably better values.

As I'm not a golfer, I also can't comment on the relative merits of the respective golf courses at each of these properties.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by manku

AAA members receive a discount on food?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by manku
Stayed last week...hadn't been in a few years.

Property is still very pleasant and well maintained...main pool was a zoo - not surprising given that it was spring break! Despite warning guests that chairs unattended for more than 30 minutes would not be held, people put towels on dozens of lounge chairs and didn't seem to ever show up. And the staff did nothing to enforce new policy. Didn't bother me though - I went to other pools which were much more peaceful anyways!

Rooms have been updated, are spacious and comfortable. We asked for housekeeping everyday when we went out - and everyday it was finished within 90 minutes...better than the St. Regis!

Took TS tour for 9000 points...took a little under 45 minutes after she realized I was not a good candidate (I've taken enough of these to know what to say to shut them down and make me a poor prospect).

Golf was nice and fast...played 18 holes in under 3 hours, which always makes me happy.

Staff was friendly and efficient.

Only real downside is terrible cell phone/wifi service...unless you have verizon.

A really relaxing week...not quite La Quinta Resort, but a good second choice.
Thanks. I ended up booking the snail mail 4-night targeted promo for over Thanksgiving, dates that, surprisingly, weren't blacked out. I'm wondering if this offer is lure for a TS tour, which, TBH, I'd probably do for 9k SPG points. I'm now debating between using the $75 on spa (which won't get much), dining (which likely pales compared to Palm Springs' options down the road), or something else.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Can any owner please send me an invite (referral) to try this property? Thanks very much in advance!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:24 pm

We stayed here 4 nights and it was good to try, but I doubt we'd come back any time soon. They are building 1,000 houses across the street and the trucks backing up and grading the sand are very loud starting at 6am. It's going to be a long time before you can have a restful stay at this resort for us but it was good to take the tram and hike Mt. San Jacinto, eat some good local food, and shop at the outlets.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by spellbound2
We stayed here 4 nights and it was good to try, but I doubt we'd come back any time soon. They are building 1,000 houses across the street and the trucks backing up and grading the sand are very loud starting at 6am. It's going to be a long time before you can have a restful stay at this resort for us but it was good to take the tram and hike Mt. San Jacinto, eat some good local food, and shop at the outlets.
Did they mention this / comp you?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Any recent stays in the hotel room portion. As a Platinum guest what amenities should I be able to receive.
Thank Youy
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by holocker
Any recent stays in the hotel room portion. As a Platinum guest what amenities should I be able to receive.
Thank Youy
I think they have the usual Plat benefits offered for all hotels- choice of 500 points or breakfast. We chose the breakfast option and you can order a la carte on weekdays and the buffet on the weekends. Their omelette chef is really good and people were tipping him directly since he was that good. We stayed in the hotel section and it still looks like the pictures earlier in the thread- standard Westin.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Recent 3-night stay in the Villas section of the Westin Mission Hills as a Plat:

1) Standard 1 br villa with Queen bed; no upgrade available due to the hotel being totally booked (and also not expected since the Villa properties typically don't upgrade). Room was in excellent shape, and convenient for traveling with a young kid for food preparation etc

2) $32 breakfast credit applied at the Villa restaurant - was more than enough for 2 adults to order pretty much anything on the menu and a cocktail and walk away with tip for less than $20.

3) Pools were wonderful for the kiddo - the waterslide was a hit

Would definitely return. We have a trip scheduled to the Desert Willow later this year so it will be interesting to see how the two resorts compare.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
What is the alternate amenity provided by the property to Platinums at this property? (since wifi is given to Plats)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.