FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Hotel doesn't have any umbrellas to loan, but they have one to sell... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1674351-hotel-doesnt-have-any-umbrellas-loan-but-they-have-one-sell.html)

luna6 Apr 23, 2015 12:18 am

Hotel doesn't have any umbrellas to loan, but they have one to sell...

Has anyone come across a hotel that runs out of umbrellas to loan out, but have an umbrella to sell in each room? I stayed at the W New York Times Square last weekend and one of the days had heavy rains. On my way out that day, I asked for an umbrella at the lobby desk and was told they were out of umbrellas, but each room has an umbrella for sale in the minibar section. Of course, having to walk outside I went back to my room and took the umbrella for sale and was charged $20 accordingly after checkout.

Maybe it is the el cheapo in me, but it still gnaws at me I was charged for the umbrella when hotels should have those available to guests? Maybe even more so for elite members who booked a suite room at normal rates?

Doc Savage Apr 23, 2015 12:24 am

Or you could bring your own....;)

I carry one in my suitcase. It's saved me several times.

FD1971 Apr 23, 2015 12:44 am

Originally Posted by luna6 (Post 24707219)
Has anyone come across a hotel that runs out of umbrellas to loan out, but have an umbrella to sell in each room? I stayed at the W New York Times Square last weekend and one of the days had heavy rains. On my way out that day, I asked for an umbrella at the lobby desk and was told they were out of umbrellas, but each room has an umbrella for sale in the minibar section. Of course, having to walk outside I went back to my room and took the umbrella for sale and was charged $20 accordingly after checkout.

Maybe it is the el cheapo in me, but it still gnaws at me I was charged for the umbrella when hotels should have those available to guests? Maybe even more so for elite members who booked a suite room at normal rates?

This is really unacceptable, especially for a more upscale SPG brand.

Ironically, I also remember the last time a SPG property did not have one available, it was the old Sheraton Firenze, Italy. :D

Otherwise, I never had a problem. Most LC properties have an umbrealla in each room.

EuropeanPete Apr 23, 2015 12:58 am

I was just going to say that this is the kind of thing that I'd expect from a W Hotel or a Starwood hotel in New York, heh.

I agree with you that it's irritating, but key to the W approach appears to be to make incremental revenue by monetising all the little amenities that a 4* hotel should offer for free - hence I'm not surprised.

supatight80 Apr 23, 2015 12:59 am

I'm with you OP. If the hotel tells me they can't loan me an umbrella but they'll gladly sell me one, I'd be pissed.

You should have returned it to front desk (wouldn't be fair to the next guest to get a used umbrella if they wanted to purchase it).

Stayed at a number of W's, all they wanted was for me to register, and if it gets lost, I'd pay.

djohannw Apr 23, 2015 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 24707233)
I carry one in my suitcase. It's saved me several times.

Me too, kind of the first things I learned when I started my consulting-career - always carry an umbrella.

That said I am with the OP - hotels claiming to be 4* and up should be in the position to provide these for guest - I'd probably had taken this up with management. Also $20 seems pretty extortionate unless it was a high quality umbrella - but I fear at a hotel with that attitude you get one that is more of the $5 value category...

Greetings - Dirk

forumpersona999 Apr 23, 2015 4:35 am

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 24707293)
This is really unacceptable, especially for a more upscale SPG brand.

+1 on that sentiment. In a Sheraton or 4 Points or Elements I would be fine with what the OP experienced. For a W, St Regis or LC I expect them to have enough umbrellas or convert the mini bar one into a loaner.

But I had the same issue too at some high category places. It seems to not be part of any brand standard so it's a case-by-case YMMY sort of thing :(

Yeah, the wise traveler would probably pack one in their suitcase, but I am a foolish traveler and pay good hotels to smoothen out some of my shortcomings. :D Definitely a disappointing experience for the OP but it's not a breach of anything :td:

Dr. HFH Apr 23, 2015 5:25 am

At SGS in BKK, they have umbrellas in each room for borrowing as well as more at the lobby entrance. And they have these nifty plastic bags at the hotel entrances which slip over the collapsed umbrella when you come in from the rain so it doesn't get everything near it wet. ^

craz Apr 23, 2015 7:45 am

Im sort of with the hotel on this one. It seems they indeed had umbellas avaialble for the taking (loaning) but must have ran out by the time the OP got there. Whats a hotel to do have 1000 available since a party of 3 may be staying in 1 room and each wants their own. Then people walk off with them or come back w/o it saying the wind killed it etc etc

Now since the hotel knows they will lose x amount due to walk-offs and being damaged , Id think that they would somehow allow a person staying at a high $$ rate to get one. Question is, is the umbella from the mini bar the same as those they lent out for free, if not then the guest should be told to get one from the FD or wherever, if its the same one then they should be told to use it but when you return make sure its noted by the person its returned to

luna6 Apr 23, 2015 8:52 am

You should have returned it to front desk (wouldn't be fair to the next guest to get a used umbrella if they wanted to purchase it).
I actually thought for a split second, I could place the umbrella back in the vinyl bag with a ziplock bag type of opening and put it back in the minibar ... but thought "nah I got morals."

At SGS in BKK, they have umbrellas in each room for borrowing as well as more at the lobby entrance. And they have these nifty plastic bags at the hotel entrances which slip over the collapsed umbrella when you come in from the rain so it doesn't get everything near it wet.
On a similar theme. This stay in New York was my first stay at a SPG hotel outside of Asia and I have never come across a hotel running out of umbrellas at any of my stays before. If the hotel does run out of umbrellas there's nothing really I can say or do, but there's an extra umbrella for sale in every room in the hotel. I've gotten used to hotels having loaner umbrellas in the closet and if not, the lobby always providing one.

Question is, is the umbella from the mini bar the same as those they lent out for free, if not then the guest should be told to get one from the FD or wherever, if its the same one then they should be told to use it but when you return make sure its noted by the person its returned to
Unfortunately, I can't say because I never got to see the loaner umbrellas.

miloworld Apr 23, 2015 9:59 am

Could it be misunderstanding? Every branded hotel I've been to, even Alofts have umbrellas in every room for your personal use while staying.

Maybe the price tag was there to remind guests it's available for sale, in which case will be charged to the folio if absent upon checkout.

Similar to IC placing a price tag on the bathrobe. I'm not sure though.

wharvey Apr 23, 2015 10:15 am

I guess I take the other side.... I never expect the hotel to provide an umbrella... it is nice if they do.

But think about it.... how many umbrellas would a hotel need to have on hand.... especially in a place like NYC? 10 or 50? or more? What happens when they run out? Details of managing check out and return.

Also, considering you can find an umbrella in every corner store in NYC.... I guess I would have grabbed one when I knew it was going to rain.

The hotel provides an option....purchase what you need. Yes, I know it could be considered nickel and diming... but it is what it is.

wharvey Apr 23, 2015 10:19 am

I rarely find an umbrella in my room..... and do not expect one to be there.

I am shocked that you find one in every hotel room you have been in during your travels.

Originally Posted by miloworld (Post 24709157)
Could it be misunderstanding? Every branded hotel I've been to, even Alofts have umbrellas in every room for your personal use while staying.

Maybe the price tag was there to remind guests it's available for sale, in which case will be charged to the folio if absent upon checkout.

Similar to IC placing a price tag on the bathrobe. I'm not sure though.

WheelsFirst Apr 23, 2015 10:45 am

Westin Grand Central has a great stash of free umbrellas.

Flews Apr 23, 2015 1:51 pm

I think it's nice if they have some loaners, but I certainly would never expect a hotel has any obligation to provide me with an umbrella. I'd actually be happy with the fact I could buy one onsite if they didn't have loaners.

On the other hand, we usually bring our own in any event.

Cheers,