Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel doesn't have any umbrellas to loan, but they have one to sell...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel doesn't have any umbrellas to loan, but they have one to sell...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by wharvey
I rarely find an umbrella in my room..... and do not expect one to be there.

I am shocked that you find one in every hotel room you have been in during your travels.
Perhaps because I travel more in SE Asia. You are right, I don't remember finding one in Orlando, visiting few weeks ago.

Remember seeing one at the element in NYC though, perhaps because it's a long-stay hotel.

The amenities in southeast asia hotels are so much better, making hotels in other countries laughable. For us, even at the cheapest Holiday Inn you can expect a full size safe, toothbrush, slippers etc waiting for you in the room. You will find an umbrella in the closet every time.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Next thing you know, they will be charging for rooms instead of loaning them for free to travelers who need one.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I guess I take the other side.... I never expect the hotel to provide an umbrella... it is nice if they do.

But think about it.... how many umbrellas would a hotel need to have on hand.... especially in a place like NYC? 10 or 50? or more? What happens when they run out? Details of managing check out and return.

Also, considering you can find an umbrella in every corner store in NYC.... I guess I would have grabbed one when I knew it was going to rain.

The hotel provides an option....purchase what you need. Yes, I know it could be considered nickel and diming... but it is what it is.
100% agree!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JackE
Next thing you know, they will be charging for rooms instead of loaning them for free to travelers who need one.
The nerve!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:26 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
I've also found a tip to a doorman often results in one suddenly being found out the back.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Domestically, I have no expectations that most hotels have umbrellas to loan. In the rare occasion that I've needed one and they do have loaners, I'm grateful, but that's been perhaps 3 times in 30+ years?

OTOH, in Europe, I can't actually recall ever needing an umbrella and a hotel NOT having them to loan.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I guess I take the other side.... I never expect the hotel to provide an umbrella... it is nice if they do.

But think about it.... how many umbrellas would a hotel need to have on hand.... especially in a place like NYC? 10 or 50? or more? What happens when they run out? Details of managing check out and return.

Also, considering you can find an umbrella in every corner store in NYC.... I guess I would have grabbed one when I knew it was going to rain.

The hotel provides an option....purchase what you need. Yes, I know it could be considered nickel and diming... but it is what it is.
^^^ seriously, just buy an umbrella if you want one....
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by JackE
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by chad75
I've also found a tip to a doorman often results in one suddenly being found out the back.
Sure, for only a $10 tip, you can borrow a free umbrella instead of paying $8 for one!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: SPG
I rarely find an umbrella in my room..... and do not expect one to be there.

I am shocked that you find one in every hotel room you have been in during your travels.
It seems to be that way in Asia, every hotel I've stayed at has one in the room to use.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I expect it in a five star property. A true five star property is supposed to make staying there easy, proactively detecting and meeting needs. The availability of umbrellas for guests to use is a part of that equation.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:52 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sure, for only a $10 tip, you can borrow a free umbrella instead of paying $8 for one!
$10?!?!?! For that tip I would expect the doorman to hold the umbrella over me for at least four blocks.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I expect it in a five star property.
Not relevant to the property in question.

$10?!?!?! For that tip I would expect the doorman to hold the umbrella over me for at least four blocks.
I suggest you avoid New York, then. Doormen in New York use anything less than a $10 bill to wipe their shoes.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:55 am

^^
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I suggest you avoid New York, then. Doormen in New York use anything less than a $10 bill to wipe their shoes.
Yeah, I remember. Very different from Asia, where doormen, wait staff, etc., actually do their jobs in exchange for the compensation paid by their employers. What an odd concept, very rare in the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.