Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Grand Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2017:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...enovation-2197
Print Wikipost

St Regis Grand Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It's a shame to hear they've apparently not addressed issues with the concierge. I just looked back to my review from a few years ago and unacceptably poor service from them was one of my big peeves.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:53 pm

how are the renos going?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Looks like they might actually be ahead of schedule. (See post below, no renovated rooms available until June).The special conditions used to say September 2018 for room renovation completion. It now reads:
“Until June 15, 2018, guest rooms and suites will be under renovation. During this time, there will be minimal disruption and impact to guests. Please contact the hotel for further information.”

EDIT: Turned out to be a misleading update on the website. No renovated rooms available until June.

Last edited by jmanirish; Apr 17, 2018 at 7:04 am Reason: Better info re: renovations
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
I should've known construction in Rome wouldn't be ahead of schedule....

Just heard back from the hotel:
" We wish to inform you that the first part of renovated rooms will only be released in mid-June "

Looks like I'll be trying the new Marriott Pantheon Iconic.
rogo likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver
I'm set for a stay at this property for three nights in late November of this year.
Hopefully the property will have concluded its renovations by then, and I look forward to providing a trip update to you all.

In the meantime, if you have any recommendations for dining options in the area, please feel free to share!
This will be my first visit to Europe, but I'm hoping to avoid restaurants that are tourist traps.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:14 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LuckyBlueMonday

In the meantime, if you have any recommendations for dining options in the area, please feel free to share!
This will be my first visit to Europe, but I'm hoping to avoid restaurants that are tourist traps.
You realise this is what a Concierge is for?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Maybe he's read the reviews of the Concierges on this page?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I have literally never used a Concierge for a dining recommendation/reservation in my life (actually I've never used a Concierge for anything, but I'm probably an anomaly). I found an amazing tool, the internet, which provides a wealth of useful information.

Regards
kthpence likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by scubadu
I have literally never used a Concierge for a dining recommendation/reservation in my life (actually I've never used a Concierge for anything, but I'm probably an anomaly). I found an amazing tool, the internet, which provides a wealth of useful information.

Regards
I regularly use a concierge. They are excellent at getting a reservation in a restaurant that shows as full online or when called.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
To clarify, I'm asking those who've traveled to Rome in recent years to share their amazing experiences and personal tips, out of respect to the wealth of experience one can find in flyertalk.

In my research and preparation, I like to cover all bases, so naturally I have googled for "top restaurants in Rome", and such, and will also be asking the concierge for their recommendations.
Flyertalk, last I checked, is part of the internet, and so by extension I am reaching out here for any possible additional insight.

I do realize that you're referring more to the question m0hamed raised, and I don't mean any disrespect to you.
I am relatively new here, and still have much to learn.

Last edited by LuckyBlueMonday; Oct 2, 2018 at 5:59 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
To clarify, I'm asking those who've traveled to Rome in recent years to share their amazing experiences and personal tips, out of respect to the wealth of experience one can find in flyertalk.

In my research and preparation, I like to cover all bases, so naturally I have googled for "top restaurants in Rome", and such, and will also be asking the concierge for their recommendations.
Flyertalk, last I checked, is part of the internet, and so by extension I am reaching out here for any possible additional insight.

I do realize that you're referring more to the question m0hamed raised, and I don't mean any disrespect to you.
LuckyBlueMonday, my comment was not at all directed to you in any way, shape, or form. And yes, FT is the internet.

I was merely replying to the comment "that's what Concierge's are for." I'm not a big fan of Concierges, but that's my own point of view. Others will differ, take what resonates for you in the variety of responses you will receive.

Regards
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:52 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

We had a charming meal last visit at Le Tre Zucche- it was recommended to us by a local. It is definitely not a tourist trap, more of a hidden gem.

We absolutely love Rome- you will have an amazing time.
Kacee and LuckyBlueMonday like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
naturally I have googled for "top restaurants in Rome"
I extensively researched restaurants on the internet prior to our visit to Rome last April . . . what I found was something of an echo chamber among English speaking foodies on the various websites (including several bloggers who use restaurant commentary to steer business to their books and tours). The results were somewhat disappointing, as the restaurants were largely filled with English-speaking tourists (albeit sophisticated ones) who'd done exactly what we'd done. Next time I would probably rely more heavily on tips from locals and concierge recommendations. This was one time where I found internet research (at least in English) was just not the best way to find good local restaurants.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:11 am
JBD

Popular English speaking foodies' apps

Originally Posted by Kacee
I extensively researched restaurants on the internet prior to our visit to Rome last April . . . what I found was something of an echo chamber among English speaking foodies on the various websites (including several bloggers who use restaurant commentary to steer business to their books and tours). The results were somewhat disappointing, as the restaurants were largely filled with English-speaking tourists (albeit sophisticated ones) who'd done exactly what we'd done. Next time I would probably rely more heavily on tips from locals and concierge recommendations. This was one time where I found internet research (at least in English) was just not the best way to find good local restaurants.
Thanks for your report. Was just curious whose recommendations you're referring to. The most popular English speaking "Rome expert" foodies that I'm aware of, and have been recommending for years on our Italy forum, are Katie Parla and Elizabeth Minchilli. If they steered you to tourist traps I'd want to know, I'll stop recommending them. Although these ladies are expats I had always considered their recommendations like they were locals, since they've both been based in Rome for many years.

For an "internet" source from actual Romans I think highly of the Tavole Romane blog.

Speaking of our Italy forum, LuckyBlueMonday may want to check it out. Here's one thread from there that may be helpful:
Please recommend your favorite non touristy, non super fine dining place in Rome!
LuckyBlueMonday likes this.

Last edited by JBD; Oct 3, 2018 at 12:52 am Reason: fixed link
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:16 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Please take conversations about Rome restaurant options to the DiningBuzz appropriate thread for Rome. This discussion is supposed to be about the St Regis Rome. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.