Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Demotions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2000, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Starwood Demotions

Three Starwood hotels that I've stayed at recently have been demoted from the Luxury Collection: two, which already had the word 'Sheraton' in their names, became ordinary Sheratons (Sheraton Moferraj, in São Paulo, and Sheraton on the Park, in Sydney), while another went from St. Regis Philadelphia to Westin Philadelphia (just about a year ago the same hotel was a Ritz-Carlton). One of the hotels I will be at soon suffered a similar fate: the Palace Hotel in Madrid, a former CIGA hotel, was demoted from Luxury Collection to Westin. As far as I can tell, the demotions have not resulted in reduction of rates.

Does anyone understand these changes? Just what defines Luxury Collection? It certainly isn't room size! I used to think that the lobby was what really mattered, but the Prince de Galles in Paris is Luxury Collection despite the fact that it has no lobby to speak of. And what is the Westin/Sheraton relationship? Is Westin supposed to be a higher or a lower category than Sheraton? Do Luxury Collection, Sheraton, and Westin actually have separate administrations and unique characteristics, or are the brands just marketing tools?
Old Mar 1, 2000, 8:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
There was an article on either skymall.com or trip.com yesterday that said Starwood is going to attempt to make Westin into a luxury chain. This likely means increased points required for awards as well as higher prices. I think its a bad move. Most Sheratons are not in the same category as Marriott or Hilton. If Westin goes Luxury, there will be a gap in Starwood's offerings. For me, the luxury line will be too expensive (even as a business traveller) and Sheraton won't be as appealing as Hilton or Marriott.
Old Mar 1, 2000, 11:30 pm
Original Member

Luxury Collection generally has exceptional service, including personal butlers assigned to each room who press your clothes etc.

I think it's good to differentiate the hotels. Mostly Westins are superior to Sheratons. Why not make it a policy?
Old Mar 2, 2000, 9:11 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I stayed at both Sheraton Mirage hotels in Australia last year and the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney. All of them were Luxury Collection Hotels and were "demoted" last year. The Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas told me that management of the hotel decided to drop out of the luxury collection and joint the "Leading Hotels of the World" group as they thought they would get more value from that association. Based on this I am assuming that the fees a hotel must pay to Starwood to brand their hotel are higher for Luxury Collection Hotels than Sheraton. In this case some hotels may not thing the cost is worth the return (especially if the hotel already has Sheraton in the name!)
Old Mar 2, 2000, 10:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
QuietLion, there is no problem differentiating the hotels. My point is that moving Westin more towards a luxury hotel will almost certainly inflate room prices, ergo I won't be staying there in the future; my company and clients simply will not pay $250+/night for a room. Sheraton is a step down in many cases from Marriott and Hilton, so if I have choice, I am likely to stay there. Again, lost revenue for Starwood. Also, less incentive to stay at Sheraton in this case since no additional stays from Westin to bolster elite status. In sum, it would come down to a choice to stay more at Sheraton or move my business elsewhere (Marriott, Hilton). If that's my choice, Sheraton is likely to lose.
Old Mar 2, 2000, 4:25 pm

Location: Rhinebeck, NY. DL PM, US GP, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, HH Gold, Hertz Gold, USA
I definately think that most Westins are a "cut above" Marriotts or Hiltons. I agree that Sheratons are usally less appealling, although the Sheraton Suites are nice, especially in Cuyahoga Falls, OH and Alexandria, VA. I hope that SPG doesn't increase the points required for Westin stays, as I think this is the best hotel award going.
Old Mar 2, 2000, 11:16 pm

Programs: OWEm (lifetime OWSapph x2), lifetime *G
I've stayed at St. Regis Philadelphia, and I've also stayed there when it used to be Ritz Carlton. Now tell me the definition of what "luxury" is If St. Regis is "luxury," I suspect there are at least ten thousand hotels out there that are "ultra luxury" or "super heaven" or whatever. Better take off that luxury brand and put on something more standard, like "Sheraton"
Old Mar 3, 2000, 12:06 am
Original Member

I hope they don't raise rates at Westins. That would kill Starwood for me.
Old Mar 3, 2000, 5:40 pm

Westin has always been a luxury type hotel chain and when Starwood merged it with the regular Sheraton hotels it brought Westin down in the customer service department. It is good in my book that Starwood is trying to redeem it's self by trying to bring Westin back up to its former status. Before Starwood, Westin won J.D. Power & Assoc #1 rating 5 years in a row for the best service. Just because Sheraton was bigger Starwood thought they were better, I guess that is what they get for trying to think.
Old Mar 3, 2000, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Agreed. I think Starwood is getting a lot of negative commentary from the former Westin regulars. I was a Westin Gold for several years, and because of SPG, also stay at Sheratons more regularly now (and my room upgrade % and amenities, and points posting properly under SPG has been superior at Sheratons under SPG), but find a lot of the Sheraton branded hotels to be "adequate" at best. I would anticipate that some of the "marginal" Westins (yes there are a few) be rebranded Sheraton, and "superior" Sheratons sent "up." I think Starwood would like to have no more than 4 brands.

Now its time to pack a bag and go to a Sheraton in an hour. Then I will get on a plane, and go to another Sheraton... (ooh and one of these Sheratons actually makes a "local" platinum welcome, so I will not have any powerbar nightmares tonight
Old Mar 4, 2000, 9:09 am

Just found out the Europa & Regina is now a
westin, no problem except they also now made
it a cat 5 hotel. I had to talk to a SPG
CSR to get them to honor the rsv. I made while it was still a cat 4. I wonder if
SPG has raised the ratings on a number of
hotels on the quiet ? Looks like a number
of prev. cat 4 hotels in Italy are now
Westins, with a higher cat 5 ratings.
Old Mar 4, 2000, 2:19 pm

The problem with Starwood is not the room rate but occupancy rate. Westins are already priced high. I seriousely doubt they can raise the price and remain competitive. They probably just want to promote the brand by expanding its presence.

When Starwood acquired ITT and Westin the priority was on synergy within geographical regions. Now the focus is on individual brand.

Also I don't think they are very successful in the luxury sector. Despite a formidable collection of superb properties, location, ambience and services alone could not suffice in this sector. At the end of the day it is the brand and tradition like Ritz and the Four Seasons that stand out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.