Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring Points to Airline Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 1999, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Transferring Points to Airline Miles

Will be spending about $2000 at a Starwood Hotel. Is it true I would get 2 points per dollar (e.g. 4000 points) and I could transfer them to American Airlines AAdvantage? Is there a minimum number of points which have to be transferred, or some multiple of points?

Thanks
Old Aug 31, 1999, 9:25 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
For regular Starwood Preferred Guest members the minimum transfer is 2000 points, and I don't believe they have to be transferred in any particular increments (so you can transfer 8132 points to AA miles if you want, not just 8000).

Also, they were running a promotion for their "direct deposit" option where they would give you a bonus if you had your points converted directly to airline miles, but I don't know when that promotion runs through or if AA is participating (anyone?).
Old Aug 31, 1999, 2:17 pm
ALW

The AA site lists the same bonus as Canadian's (which I can't find on their site). Double miles when you take the Direct Deposit option (phone SPG and ask for promo L4, best to check aa.com's partners listing first). Ends September 6/99.

The Canadian deal worked out well. I got my double points (6/$) for my two trips. This direct deposit is nice in that there's a 1000pt minimum (with CP at least), corresponding to the flat 1000pt you get with a CP card. But this way you also get credit for stays (e.g. towards Free Fridays, and towards SPGGold). I suppose you do lose the 25% bonus when transferring 20000 miles, though.

It will be interesting to see what promos there are this fall, if any. Are they more common in summer?

andrew
Old Sep 5, 1999, 1:09 am

I signed up for the summer double miles promotion but I'll probably cancel it after the 6 september .
The direct transfer was marginally worthwhile but not available for QANTAS where you already get double points ( although admittedly not an Apples for Apples comparison ).
You also miss out on the 25000 vs 20000 bonus this way.
Are their any other advantages that I can't see ??
Jerry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.