Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
Hotels Union Square LLC DBA W New York - Union Square is owned by Host Hotels & Resorts and operated by Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide.
Host Hotels also own W on Lexington. I completely agree with you that they should honor your original arrangement and not add the $5000 spend requirement. The fact that the $5000 in spending makes all the other reasons for not allowing the function as planned go away should be embarrassing for both the property and Starwood. I hope they clean up their act and fix this for you.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:28 pm

Well, I certainly would not like to stay in a room next to or opposite to a party with 30 people.

What this story says about the W is - they are more than willing to take the risk of inconveniencing other guests in order to please a high-spending suite guest. Turns out though that the OP has limited budget. So things just don't add up for the hotel: they risk noise complaints/might have to compensate other guests, they risk higher cleaning costs/damage to the room, and the OP wants to bring in outside food?

I agree that the advertising was misleading, and the hotel should somehow compensate OP for this, but I can very well u derstand why they don't want this business.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:17 pm
Suspended

OP Ive been going back and forth had it been me what would I have done. Till now it was stick it to them and force them to live up to what was booked.

then I thought they could very well have the last laugh by when checking out going over the rooms with a very fine tooth comb (sort of like what happens in Europe when you return a rental car)and ding me for every little nothing, that theyd normally just pass off and theyd get their $$ that way, or by constantly coming up and saying other guests are complaining and you have to hold it down , etc etc

Id probably just find another place. But Im very surprised at Corp who really allowed this W to scam you, a very big to Corp for allowing this W to do as it pleases and negate a contract it agreed to. Sure that W can change its T&Cs no problem with that but for anyone else or even you hence forth but not retroactive!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I'm not surprised that SPG corporate can't do anything to the hotel to force them to take your party, but I am disappointed in both the hotel and SPG's actions.

Since the hotel staffer made promises to you, they should uphold those promises. Especially given most of their excuses are obviously just that given they magically disappear with a 5K food and beverage contract.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:10 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by dcstudent
I'm not surprised that SPG corporate can't do anything to the hotel to force them to take your party, but I am disappointed in both the hotel and SPG's actions.

Since the hotel staffer made promises to you, they should uphold those promises. Especially given most of their excuses are obviously just that given they magically disappear with a 5K food and beverage contract.
True.

But let's go back a couple of steps.

The OP received permission from the hotel staffer to host a "small gathering". Do we know that that staffer knew that the OP had the ludicrous intention of cramming a 32 person party into a pretty small suite and two adjoining bedrooms? And that he intended to have the room so packed that there would even be people squeezed into the window frames?

The hotel has clearly worked out - like we all have - that the OP is trying to host a medium-sized function without paying the market rate for an appropriate function room.

The hotel might be using the $5,000 amount as a means of driving away a guest that isn't worth their while. He has shown that he is very price-sensitive and they may be using price as a tool.

The suite in question has a maximum sleeping occupancy of 3 adult guests. To suggest that a couple could host a party for 30 in it is absurd unless, as I wrote earlier, the hotel is not going to sell the rest of the rooms on the floor and directly above and below.

This hotel has not behaved well. But to me the key issue is whether or not the OP actually told them at the outset that he intended to host a party for 32 in a room which sleeps 3 people.

If he did not explicitly advise them that his "small gathering" was for more than 30 people, then any "breach of contract" ain't on the hotel's side.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by DCF
If he did not explicitly advise them that his "small gathering" was for more than 30 people, then any "breach of contract" ain't on the hotel's side.
Where did you get the more than 30 figure? I said 25-30. The hotel advertised that you can host a sizable gathering in the suite, that the suite has a DJ booth, and when the party is over you can escape to the Jacuzzi.

I also just looked up sizable in the dictionary and it came back with the definition fairly large. Try it yourself by just putting the word into Google.

I let the hotel's representative know that I would be hosting 25-30 guests and she assured me that it wouldn't be a problem over the nearly 3 hours I met with her.

She told me that she'd be more than happy to get me glassware without charging me, source outside food, allow me to store anything that didn't need to be refrigerated in advanced, and get extra furniture for me.

I didn't tell her this, but I was prepared to tip her around $250, because she made it sound like she was going to do a lot for me.

She's been in her role for less than a year so I guess maybe she's just inexperienced.

My budget for the night is $3,000.00 which isn't insignificant.

Last edited by donotblink; Mar 19, 2015 at 10:44 pm
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by DCF
Ultimately, 25-30 guests is bigger than many weddings. I think that most people would expect to have to book and pay for space, such as in a meeting or conference room.
In 2013, the average number of guests at a wedding was 138, which is more than 4 times the size of the intimate gathering I had hoped to host in the space designed for a sizable gathering.

Source: http://www.xogroupinc.com/press-rele...f-wedding.aspx
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:55 pm
DCF

Where did you get the more than 30 figure? I said 25-30. The hotel advertised that you can host a sizable gathering in the suite, that the suite has a DJ booth, and when the party is over you can escape to the Jacuzzi.

I also just looked up sizable in the dictionary and it came back with the definition fairly large. Try it yourself by just putting the word into Google.

I let the hotel's representative know that I would be hosting 25-30 guests and she assured me that it wouldn't be a problem over the nearly 3 hours I met with her.

She told me that she'd be more than happy to get me glassware without charging me, source outside food, allow me to store anything that didn't need to be refrigerated in advanced, and get extra furniture for me.

I didn't tell her this, but I was prepared to tip her around $250, because she made it sound like she was going to do a lot for me.

She's been in her role for less than a year so I guess maybe she's just inexperienced.

My budget for the night is $3,000.00 which isn't insignificant.
If there are two registered guests in the room and you have 30 invitees that makes 32!

I don't know: here when I have to book a function I usually budget around $150 per guest, which makes around $5,000.

That's close to what the hotel wanted for catering the function (apart from the room rate) and not massively higher than your budget.

Remember the post from the guy who booked a suite at the Westin Times Square and the two adjoining rooms? He had 8-12 guests - a third of your intended number - and still attracted noise complaints and visits from security. I would think that that is pretty predictable, and that any guest list bigger than that is going to cause noise problems even with the two adjoining rooms.

You booked a suite at $1269 and two standard adjoining rooms at $278 each. I would think that that would allow you to host a dinner party for 6-8 people including yourselves (except the table is too small) or a drinks party for up to about 8-10 guests.

But if you want to host a function for 30+ people, I think the hotel should have told you to hire meeting/function space.

I sympathise with you because:

a) they didn't tell you that at the outset, and
b) they undermined their own "no party" policy by offering to let you host the party there if you spent enough on catering.

But I would be FURIOUS if I paid good money to stay in an upscale hotel only to discover 30 people coming and going from a party on my floor. I would be incensed.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Just for sh*ts and giggles, here's the archived web page from December 2013. For once, someone was telling the truth.

Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:06 am
DCF

No-one's accusing the OP of lying - I'm the most sceptical person here and I think the hotel behaved really badly.

An ordinary hotel room can't host a dinner table for 6. I think that the "sizeable gathering" they intended was dinner for 6. The registered guests plus four invitees.

But the W is so desperately trying to be cool that they used the expression "when the party's over, escape to the jacuzzi".

I interpret that as meaning "when your four guests have left, you and your partner feel free to have a bath".

But I think the OP took the mindless reference to "party" to mean "you can host 30 people and then all hop into the hot tub".

And the W was even dumb enough to try to be cool by saying that that tiny alcove could be a DJ booth. That's asking for trouble if you're a property with a "no party policy" and they really should have had more common sense.

The hotel made silly, grandiose claims. And because this OP wanted to host a party without paying the going rate to host a party, he interpreted the silly grandiose advertising the way that suited his needs.

Last edited by DCF; Mar 20, 2015 at 12:13 am
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCF
But I would be FURIOUS if I paid good money to stay in an upscale hotel only to discover 30 people coming and going from a party on my floor. I would be incensed.
I wouldn't suggest that you book a room at the W if you're interested in an environment that is ultra quiet and has tumble weeds floating on by. Starwood has nine distinct brands for a reason, and to be quite frank, I think that staying at a Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridien, Luxury Collection, St. Regis, Four Points or element (sic) hotel would be a more appropriate choice for your lifestyle.

I was very reasonable by booking the additional rooms and voluntarily ending my party at 11pm.

The hotel offered to host my party establishing a contract and later reneged on our agreement after invites were sent, just to extort me for more money.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:08 am

Also, while various Javascript won't work great on Archive.org, the "Read More" description is as follows (from the source code):

Originally Posted by W Union Square (12/2013)
Want for absolutely nothing in this dynamic expression of d-dash and Wilson's visionary aesthetic. Gaze upon the Union Square expanse through the Extreme Wow Suite's generous windows that allow radiant sunlight and glittering starlight.

Convert the innovative wall unit as you see fit. Seat six for dinner or entertain a crowd by using it as a DJ booth. Be as inclusive as you like thanks to extensive couch space and a half-bathroom. Ring our Whatever/Whenever Service to pick a flick from our media collection and play it on the home theater system's 55" flat screen television. Let guests snack on Munchie Box favorites and discover new concoctions at the mini bar—or call up a feast from 24-hour in-room dining. If needs be, stay industrious at the ergonomic workspace with a cordless phone and wireless High Speed Internet Access.

Gain a new perspective from the oversized mirror that reflects the bold master bedroom, equipped with its own 42" flat screen television. Drift away in the king-size W Signature Bed's custom pillow-top mattress, 350-thread count linens, down duvet and goose down pillows. Let your hair down in the Jacuzzi or shower, complemented by the legendary Bliss Spa lemon + sage sinkside six Bath Amenities, then get cozy in a soft terry robe.
Compare that to:

Originally Posted by W Union Square (3/2015)
Want for absolutely nothing in this dynamic expression of d-dash and Wilson’s visionary aesthetic. Gaze upon the Union Square expanse through the Extreme Wow Suite’s generous windows that allow radiant sunlight and glittering starlight.

Be as inclusive as you like thanks to extensive couch space and half-bathroom. Ring our Whatever/Whenever Service to pick a flick from our media collection and play it on the home theater system’s 55” flat screen television. Let guests snack on Munchie Box favorites and discover new concoctions at the mini bar—or call up a feast from 24-hour in-room dining. If needs be, stay industrious at the ergonomic workspace with a cordless phone and wireless High Speed Internet Access.

Gain a new perspective from the oversized mirror that reflects the bold master bedroom, equipped with its own 42” flat screen television. Drift away in the king-size W Signature Bed’s custom pillow-top mattress, 350-thread count linens, down duvet and goose down pillows. Let your hair down in the indulgent bath tub or shower, complemented by the legendary Bliss Spa lemon + sage sinkside six Bath Amenities, then get cozy in a soft terry robe.
At some point, they removed "Convert the innovative wall unit as you see fit. Seat six for dinner or entertain a crowd by using it as a DJ booth." and they updated "Jacuzzi" to "indulgent bath tub" (which sounds better, imo).

To say this is deceptive marketing is an understatement. To say that I would not be happy with the hotel allowing such a private affair to take place if I were a paying guest is even more of an understatement.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by DCF
No-one's accusing the OP of lying - I'm the most sceptical person here and I think the hotel behaved really badly.
My post wasn't directed at you. It is rare that someone calls out a hotel in these kinds of thread with that kind of claim of deception and it be the absolute truth. I simply thought it deserved some form of supporting proof.

This is hospitality industry version of a celebrity tweeting something offensive then deleting it a few minutes later as if that completing removed it from the internet. I think that is the big issue here. The hotel knowingly and willingly attempted to cover their poor marketing claims.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jibi
My post wasn't directed at you. It is rare that someone calls out a hotel in these kinds of thread with that kind of claim of deception and it be the absolute truth. I simply thought it deserved some form of supporting proof.

This is hospitality industry version of a celebrity tweeting something offensive then deleting it a few minutes later as if that completing removed it from the internet. I think that is the big issue here. The hotel knowingly and willingly attempted to cover their poor marketing claims.
Thank you so much for your support!!!! For the record, I'm really not a guestzilla! I've been staying with Starwood since 2012, reached platinum last year and have stayed at dozens of properties around the world, I've never created a big fuss about anything like this before (and hope that I never need to again).

I even write really nice reviews when a hotel goes above and beyond (see: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...de_France.html) I also try to tip pretty generously when staff goes above and beyond.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:11 am
DCF

I wouldn't suggest that you book a room at the W if you're interested in an environment that is ultra quiet and has tumble weeds floating on by. Starwood has nine distinct brands for a reason, and to be quite frank, I think that staying at a Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridien, Luxury Collection, St. Regis, Four Points or element (sic) hotel would be a more appropriate choice for your lifestyle.

I was very reasonable by booking the additional rooms and voluntarily ending my party at 11pm.

The hotel offered to host my party establishing a contract and later reneged on our agreement after invites were sent, just to extort me for more money.
30+ people in the bar or nightclub or lobby is fine by me. 30+ people coming and going from a party in a room on my floor isn't!

Best of luck with this, OP. I think we all agree that the hotel set itself up for this problem with its grandiose advertising claims about being able to host a "sizeable gathering" in the room and heading for the jacuzzi when the party's over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.