Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Sounds like a winner ^

Go somewhere that wants you to have the party. I spent 5 nights at the Westin Times Square last month -- deluxe 1B suite with adjoining rooms, not the presidential or anything -- and they wanted our business. We had 8 to 12 people over every evening (reasonable hours, 8-11 p.m. or so). The first night, there was a noise complaint from a nearby room, security called. I had a manager come up, I showed him that the soundproofing was so bad that you could hear the elevator dinging down the hall from inside our living room. He said he'd see what he could do. Next day, the neighbors were gone, no more complaints. Maybe he looked at our F&B tab, who knows, but all week our champagne flutes were being replaced, the staff were going out of their way to find things for us (cocktail shakers, etc.), and housekeeping did the wonderful task of making and unmaking the living-room sofa bed daily. Manager could have said "guests gotta get out" etc but they wanted us there. Find some place that'll make your birthday special instead of just tolerating your presence.
Wow! Good to know--the Westin isn't really my scene (at all), but maybe I'll have to talk to them sometime.

I guess what I really got caught up with was all the really good experiences I had at Starwood properties over the years...last year I celebrated NYE at the W New York - Times Square with my family and closest friends in a suite, the GM there, Neil was super nice and spent a good half hour talking to me about what I liked and thought needed improvement about the property.

Also, their head of Whatever/Whenever (Alice) sent me a bottle of bubbly and chocolate covered strawberries. I was staying on points too, so it probably wasn't event that high of a revenue reservation for them. (Although the Starwood vs Parker group lawsuit taught us that hotels get ADR for points when they're over 95% occupancy, as they would be on NYE).

I also had an amazing experience in W in Paris, where thy upgraded me from a standard room to the Ewow--they sent me bubbly and strawberries there too.

At the end of the day this experience will be very telling for me about just how loyal Starwood is to their clients. I'll be sure to ask the Andaz how they go above and beyond for their guests.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
Wow! Good to know--the Westin isn't really my scene (at all), but maybe I'll have to talk to them sometime.
Nor is it mine (and I'd certainly never have a birthday party there), but I've stayed there several times and have always been treated very well. Before they took out their large candle-walled Renewal Suites, I routinely got upgraded to those with an email to our contact there, and the runners (housekeeping/people who bring you things you ask for?) have always responded admirably well. I tip but nothing extravagant, and the same tips don't elicit the same service elsewhere.

At the end of the day this experience will be very telling for me about just how loyal Starwood is to their clients. I'll be sure to ask the Andaz how they go above and beyond for their guests.
I wouldn't let your impression of Starwood depend on this one property's actions.

Also re: Andaz I'd be more focused on getting what matters to you than an imprecise 'above and beyond.'
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I wouldn't let your impression of Starwood depend on this one property's actions. '
Right now my impressions of Starwood are more focused on corporate's response than anyone else.

Thanks for all your feedback...I'll have to think about what it is that I would really want from Hyatt.

I guess the best thing that they could offer me right now would be a dedicated contact to deal with any issues that might arise, considering my recent experiences.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Any updates from corp on recovery?
Or did they more or less suggest you to take your business elsewhere.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How many guests is the OP planning? Approximate age range?

IMO the W Union Square isn't a party hotel and doesn't have the same atmosphere that some Ws do, such as the W New York. However, IIRC there is a popular nightclub at the property and its customers would overflow into the lobby area at times in the evening.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How many guests is the OP planning? Approximate age range?

IMO the W Union Square isn't a party hotel and doesn't have the same atmosphere that some Ws do, such as the W New York. However, IIRC there is a popular nightclub at the property and its customers would overflow into the lobby area at times in the evening.
I'd say roughly 25-30 guests, it's hard to me to get the exact number until the day of, because I need to account for people that change their RSVP or become no shows. Approximate age range is 23-60 (a few of my mom's friends were going to come, and most of my co-workers are a little older), the average age would be about ~30.

As an FYI, the hotel manager indicated that he felt that a reasonable number of people would be 10, despite the fact that one of the additional rooms that I had arranged for is connecting to the suite.

As a reminder, when I met with the property's representative, she told me that if I needed any additional furniture to let her know, and they could do that without a problem as they have a storage room onsite with extra chairs and couches.

As for Starwood's response, we set up a follow-up for tomorrow. I'm expecting to hear back from W New York - Times Square today about what they'll be able to offer me, and they're currently engaging in some form of closed door dialog with corporate in regards to the situation.

In regards to your comment that the W New York - Union Square isn't a party hotel, I'd beg to differ--the hotel is located in the northeastern corner of Union Square, which is really (along with Washington Square Park), New York University's stomping grounds. The hotel just opened a new posh restaurant/bar/lounge with Gerber Group.

The hotel also partners with Jasmine Solano to create a late night experience on Fridays/Saturdays.

You indicated that you feel that the original W New York (on Lexington Avenue) is more of a party hotel. While I understand that these types of statements are highly subjective, I have an apartment in that area (on 45th and 2nd) and I can tell you that Midtown East is quite dead at night and on the weekends, it's really a business district and I would argue that it's the most conservative of the four New York Ws.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was commenting on my personal sense of the atmosphere in various Ws in NYC, not the neighborhoods where they're located. I think of W New York as more of a party place than W Union Square (which seems to attract a slightly older and quieter clientele and doesn't have the all black decor) or the W down by Wall Street. My post mentioned the night club or whatever you want to call it, but IMO as a hotel guest, one is unaware of its presence once you get into the elevators leading to hotel rooms.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I'd say roughly 25-30 guests, it's hard to me to get the exact number until the day of, because I need to account for people that change their RSVP or become no shows. Approximate age range is 23-60 (a few of my mom's friends were going to come, and most of my co-workers are a little older), the average age would be about ~30.

As an FYI, the hotel manager indicated that he felt that a reasonable number of people would be 10, despite the fact that one of the additional rooms that I had arranged for is connecting to the suite.
A ten-guest maximum is really low, considering the suite is advertised as a party pad. I've had 20+ in the Waldorf Towers (in the Royal suite), and there was no problem (and I hired musicians recommended by the concierge, to boot). Arguably a stodgier hotel than all of the Ws in Manhattan.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I didn't realize a birthday party was classified as a conference!
F&B requirement... unbelievable.
I'd hope this type of stupidity is a property-specific issue...
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
It really sounds like the property is trying to squirm out of the event and making up new rules to get you to say forget it. Verbal agreements are tough to enforce unless you have witnesses and even then can be challenged. Having to renegotiate with higher ups may get you something you can live with. If you feel uneasy, I'd say move the venue and make it public why. Tactics like this should not go unnoticed and SPG should be made aware.

Good luck get the event scheduled. I will pass on an invitation to help keep the crowd manageable.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

An Update

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I didn't realize a birthday party was classified as a conference!
F&B requirement... unbelievable.
So, apparently this is a theme, and my birthday is being treated as a conference.

Corporate asked me to talk to some of the other properties and see what pricing would look like if I moved my celebration there, having just done that, it looks like unless corporate steps in to help, I'm going to be completely priced out from celebrating my birthday at any W in New York, as all of the hotels want a substantial amount of money in food and beverage and or an astronomically high room rate. :-(

Here's some numbers to have a look at:

W New York - Union Square:
Extreme Wow Room Rate: $1,269.00 (+14.75% tax and $3.50 flat rate tax)
2 extra rooms at $278.57 (+14.75% tax and $3.50 flat rate tax each)
(added later: $5,000.00 beverage + food requirement)

--

W New York - Times Square
Extreme Wow Room Rate: $3,775.41 (as a gesture of goodwill they offered a 10% discount, which is reflected in this price) (+14.75% tax and $3.50 flat rate tax)
2 extra rooms at $339 (+14.75% tax and $3.50 flat rate tax each)
$65 per person for 3 hour open bar (the least expensive option, and required to host the event, a 24% service charge, 14.75% tax and a flat fee of $275 for a bartender)
$22 per person for a crudités (least expensive food option, a 24% service charge, 14.75% tax)

--

W New York (original on Lexington)
Extreme Wow Room Rate: $2,200.00 (a discounted rate, which is reflected in this price) (+14.75% tax and $3.50 flat rate tax)
2 extra rooms at $242 (+14.75% tax and $3.50 flat rate tax each)
$135 per person for 3 hour open bar and a selection of 6 Butler Passed Hors D’ Oeuvres (the least expensive option, and required to host the event, a 24% service charge, 14.75% tax and a flat fee of $275 for a bartender)

--

I'm very upset to say the least. To put things in perspective, I had my party at the original W New York on Lexington in their Extreme Wow Suite last year for 20,000 starpoints, $500 + about $100 in food. The hotel actually picked up my extra food and beverage from an outside vendor for me.

Last edited by donotblink; Mar 18, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
This is crazy, next time just book 3 rooms, one of them being the Extreme Wow suite and request connecting rooms. Ask to see their restaurant menu and order plenty in advance.

You seem to be a reasonable guest, offering to end the party at 11pm. If hotel says anything, pull up that screenshot and ask why else is the party theme suggested in the room description. It's like imposing a 2 pax rule on a 3-bedroom suite.

Asking for a bit more of revenue is reasonable but 5k USD? You can rent a ballroom with that price tag.

I don't think Starwood corp helped a lot here apart from reaching out MICE agents from neighbor properties.

What's next? Will we have to commit to minimum spending to celebrate honeymoon or wedding anniversary?

Last edited by miloworld; Mar 18, 2015 at 6:25 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:18 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
My sympathy extends to the OP for the cost blowout.

But let's go back to the start.

The OP booked a room with a dining table for 6 and flagged an intention to host a "small gathering". So far, so good. A table for 6 suggests to me a room big enough to host a small dinner party of six people. That's a "small gathering".

Further discussion led the hotel to say that the plans contravened its party policy.

Now the OP says that he is hosting 25-30 people, which in my eyes is much, much more than a "small gathering" in a room with a table for 6. And he is choosing not to host it at his apartment in the same city. Is this because the noise would offend his neighbours? Or it's too small for 30 people?

A party for 30 basically makes the whole of the rest of the floor unsellable. Not just the rooms either side.

The hotel shouldn't have agreed in the first place. Unless they thought that the number of guests would be in single figures. But I think that hosting 30 people in a suite is really creative and just not on unless you buy every other room on the floor and the rooms directly above and below too.

W hotels set themselves up with their own advertising. It's partly their own fault. But they also host families and people who have to work. And a party for 30 a couple of rooms away is totally anti-social towards those guests.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCF
My sympathy extends to the OP for the cost blowout.

But let's go back to the start.

The OP booked a room with a dining table for 6 and flagged an intention to host a "small gathering". So far, so good. A table for 6 suggests to me a room big enough to host a small dinner party of six people. That's a "small gathering".

Further discussion led the hotel to say that the plans contravened its party policy.

Now the OP says that he is hosting 25-30 people, which in my eyes is much, much more than a "small gathering" in a room with a table for 6. And he is choosing not to host it at his apartment in the same city. Is this because the noise would offend his neighbours? Or it's too small for 30 people?

A party for 30 basically makes the whole of the rest of the floor unsellable. Not just the rooms either side.

The hotel shouldn't have agreed in the first place. Unless they thought that the number of guests would be in single figures. But I think that hosting 30 people in a suite is really creative and just not on unless you buy every other room on the floor and the rooms directly above and below too.

W hotels set themselves up with their own advertising. It's partly their own fault. But they also host families and people who have to work. And a party for 30 a couple of rooms away is totally anti-social towards those guests.
The room description itself said "host a sizeable gathering thanks to the separate living room’s ample seating" how do you define sizeable? I would have been willing to work with them if they had capped it at 25, or maybe a bit less.

Also, why on earth did they put DJ booth in the room (and advertise it) if they didn't want it to be used?

I'm sorry, but I shouldn't have to bare any responsibility here. I've been more than reasonable!

Also, to answer your question, I have a 450sq foot studio apartment with one bathroom, which is too small, noise wouldn't have been an issue.

Last edited by donotblink; Mar 18, 2015 at 7:40 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:45 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Can you book the Lexington again this year with points or c&p? Also how many guests did you have last year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.