Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
1) Kudos to the OP for coming back with an update after all this time, it was really interesting to hear the end game

2) Still sad that I wasn't invited to the party

3) Surely we have some attorney here in the SPG forum who will pick up this appeal on a pro-bono basis; come on SPG FT community, I'm relying on you to keep this entertaining story chugging along!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
lol, happy to see this come to a close. my only advice would be for you to listen to the advice of fellow ft folks. for example:

1) early on you said that you were working on this with corporate. folks here said that corporate is useless in this kind of situation but you ignored them and continued on thinking that corporate would handle this. you then got really disappointed when corporate didn't help you.

2) you said that you were working with the hotel to negotiate the F&B minimum. we told you to take your business elsewhere (the andaz since they seemed to want your business) but you thought you would be able to negotiate with the W. in the end, the folks here were right again.

3) you said that you would win a court case. folks here said that you'd lose and it'd be a waste of time. sounds like you don't regret going through the hassle but in the end, the folks here were right again.

the folks here seem to be a fairly bright group in most situations and the general advice of most people here was accurate and spot on.

it also looks like you're continuing to stay at SPG so i guess you don't have too much ill will towards the chain or the W brand.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:38 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by donotblink
It should be a fun party, once I get all the venue stuff sorted out!

I had my birthday party in the Extreme Wow Suite of the original W on Lexington Avenue and had a great time last year!!! My friends are still talking about it!

That W has an insane terrace that wraps around the entire suite, but sadly only has one bathroom.

As for your invite, one of the hotel's points of contention was that the suite was designed to fit a limited number of people, so I don't know that it's a good idea to start inviting random people on FlyerTalk ;-)

That being said, I'm going to have an after party of sorts in the hotel's bar (whatever hotel that ends of being)--it's the only good way to get everyone out of the suite at 11pm. It's always fun to meet other miles and points enthusiasts!
I've stayed in that "extreme wow suite" now that it's called "presidential suite" at the Maxwell and wow… it has seen better days. It's a decent sized space, but I really wouldn't want to host people there. Perhaps it was nicer as a W.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by sethb
I've had parties in hotel suites for 30 or more people many times, and those suites were well under 1,000 square feet.
The subway isn't part of the Grand Central Terminal. GCT is a train terminal that happens to have a separate subway station underneath named "Grand Central." The subway station is separate and not part of the terminal. You have to exit the terminal to get to the subway (though they are connected underground, so you'd don't have to go outdoors).
Old May 24, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
Just wanted to quickly say that my party was amazing at the Andaz Fifth Avenue earlier tonight. I truly could not have more gratitude for the staff here making my night nothing short of absolutely wonderful.

I hired a professional photographer and will have photos to post for those interested shortly, but in the meantime, I want everyone to know that this is a great hotel, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone of my friends!

My court date with Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. and Hotels Union Square LLC is in late June, and I look forward to receiving compensation for my actual damages.
The Andaz 5th is amazing and generous to guests. I've stayed there many times (at around 45, more nights than any other Manhattan hotel) and been upgraded to many of their amazing suites. It's my favorite sometimes-affordable chain hotel in NYC.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by helvetic
The Andaz 5th is amazing and generous to guests. I've stayed there many times (at around 45, more nights than any other Manhattan hotel) and been upgraded to many of their amazing suites. It's my favorite sometimes-affordable chain hotel in NYC.
I've gone back every year since I posted my OP and they have continued to be absolutely fantastic to me.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by helvetic
The subway isn't part of the Grand Central Terminal. GCT is a train terminal that happens to have a separate subway station underneath named "Grand Central." The subway station is separate and not part of the terminal. You have to exit the terminal to get to the subway (though they are connected underground, so you'd don't have to go outdoors).
As a New Yorker, I've been fully aware of that for decades. What does it have to do with how many square feet are required for a party with 30+ people?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.