Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jibi
OP has two accounts on FT? If not, this response is rather weird.
why is it weird????

to me it seems like payitforward is stating what he/she would do if faced with a similar situation....
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
But it's badly worded to imply s/he is the OP. S/he should have written something like "if it were me". Then it would be less confusing.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by PHLisa
But it's badly worded to imply s/he is the OP. S/he should have written something like "if it were me". Then it would be less confusing.
Just to be clear, this is my only FlyerTalk account, and all of the posts that I have made in this thread are under the username "donotblink", I'm not sure why the other poster chose to use the verbiage that he or she did.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Keyser
payitforward is stating what he/she would do if faced with a similar situation
This.

We can now resume the discussion of the topic in hand.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by RogerD408
The point made up thread is it's official name, according to Google too, is Grand Central Terminal. According to http://www.gcthistory.com/:
Which "it"? The commuter rail terminal is Grand Central Terminal. The subway station is Grand Central Station.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sethb
Which "it"? The commuter rail terminal is Grand Central Terminal. The subway station is Grand Central Station.
Come on man, let's be real...when people are talking about that big, famous, treasured architectural masterpiece on 42nd St, they aren't referring to the buried subway station buried down below it. The *building* is Grand Central Terminal.

And if you look at the official MTA subway map (http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf) that subterranean part is just referred to as "Grand Central" - "station" is nowhere to be found :-:
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Well,

To the OP donotblink thanks for sticking with this thread and being a party to the conversation you initiated. And good for you that at 25 you have the financial resources and the generosity of spirit to do something like this. And good for you that you are more upset over the service recovery rather than the situation itself.

As someone who stays in many *wood properties, I wouldn't want what the OP described adjacent or over my room as hotel rooms are no longer considered places to throw a party as they were many many years ago.

I do think the W employee should have offered to switch the OP's plan to a meeting room, roped off portion of the bar/lounge or whatever and offered a drink platter for 3-5 people as an after party in the room. She should not have offered it as an option for a floor where others will be paying to sleep.

I've been to many hotels during large expos where there is a large "hospitality room" on a lower floor in a corner used for corporate meet and greets. This might have been more appropriate for an earlier gathering.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Keyser
why is it weird????

to me it seems like payitforward is stating what he/she would do if faced with a similar situation....
I know the OP has cleared up the confusion, but PayItForward worded this in first person tense - "I need", "I will", etc. - rather than a conditional tense - "I would have needed", "I would have", etc. To word a post in a way that makes it seem like you are the person being affected - as opposed to what you would do in that person's situation - is weird. PayItForward's post was not worded in a way that was what he/she would do if faced with a similar situation ... at least not according to standards of the English language.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Come on man, let's be real...when people are talking about that big, famous, treasured architectural masterpiece on 42nd St, they aren't referring to the buried subway station buried down below it. The *building* is Grand Central Terminal.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

And if you look at the official MTA subway map (http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf) that subterranean part is just referred to as "Grand Central" - "station" is nowhere to be found :-:
An "Evangellist" really should know better than to have started AND to have continued such off topic nonsense.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:48 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I know the OP has cleared up the confusion, but PayItForward worded this in first person tense - "I need", "I will", etc. - rather than a conditional tense - "I would have needed", "I would have", etc. To word a post in a way that makes it seem like you are the person being affected - as opposed to what you would do in that person's situation - is weird. PayItForward's post was not worded in a way that was what he/she would do if faced with a similar situation ... at least not according to standards of the English language.
English is not the native tongue of all FlyerTalkers. Please move on.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:28 pm

I'll be monitoring the trip reports forum for the tale of OP's afterparty with his mom's friends in the jacuzzi.

Meanwhile, this seems pretty clear to me: The property has an overzealous copy-writer who created unrealistic expectations for the OP, but OP should share the blame in buying into the puffery. Though 1000 square feet may seem to be a grand space for a hotel room, particularly by NYC standards, I still wouldn't want to be one of 30 people fighting for space in there. Ultimately, the space remains a HOTEL ROOM, and I won't believe that the property ever intended that it be suitable for a party of the size contemplated by OP.

And yeah, it does come down to the $$$ for the property. I think that's a fair business decision for a business to make -- there is a price at which they are willing to risk other unhappy guests, or forego selling nearby rooms all together so as to avoid that risk entirely.

It seems that OP was mislead by an employee, who also didn't realize that OP's expectations were unreasonable. And I think that the property perhaps didn't handle it as well as they could---ideally a swift apology and reasonable compensation would be in order. But at this point, I agree with the hotel: I wouldn't want the business. OP's apparent goal to turn this into a national news story is pretty tacky. The suggestion of legal action is ridiculous. OP is hurt, but life goes on. Quite frankly, OP is probably better off. Personally, I would rather know ahead of time that the party is a no-go, and have an opportunity to select another venue, than to have security show up and break it up just when mom's friends are starting to get friendly.

Happy birthday, OP.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
fair enough....but not everyone follows the standards of the english language when posting in a forum....it could definitely have been worded a little better but to me it was pretty clear what he/she was trying to say....
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:57 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
11 pages of responses and none is yet to say: That is one ugly suite.

I know you're 25, and we're similar in age but all of the furniture is just hideous. Don't buy into the brand. Ws in the USA ride on their supposed 'coolness' but are really unsatisfactory hotels. Ws in Asia are lightyears ahead in terms of hard product and service.

Find yourself a better property and a nicer suite if that's how you want to spend your birthday.

It's not like it's the 1980s, you can alert your friends online or via text message. Change of venue is really not that big a deal.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by m0hamed
11 pages of responses and none is yet to say: That is one ugly suite.
Several people said it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.