Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much are Starpoints worth for you?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plat(100), Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Avis First, United Gold
I use the 3cent rule as well but sometimes go as low as 2 in case my balance is above 250kpoints.

Best redemption is upcoming stay for Xmas at St Regis Puerto Rico: 30k points but rooms are 2300$ per night
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408

Doing the math and determining your pain threshold is the best approach. If you are happy with the results, that's all that matters. The only finite rule I have is to burn them as quickly as you can. No program has increased point value over time. So unless you have a big vacation coming up that you want to use points, burn them now.
I think starwood is the only program that the value of points has not decreased in the last 5 years for sure, I value starwood points the most
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:46 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

If people don't buy the SPG points at .028 when they are on sale any valuation method over that threshold is absurd in my opinion.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
When you have a million points, the value of purchasing an incremental point has to be discounted to when you expect to use/redeem that incremental point. A point I buy today would likely not be used for at least 10-15+ years, decreasing the NPV of that point.

This is a different financial analysis than a current valuation of using a point vs. paying cash for a room in the near-term.

Much like the US Army continuing to buy Abrams tanks when they already have thousands in storage, a "good price" doesn't define a good purchase.

Last edited by CPRich; Feb 26, 2015 at 7:54 am
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I value my Starpoints at 0.02/point, and I will only redeem it if the value is minimum $0.027/point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.