Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Ottawa, ON, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2023, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold

I have three nights in Ottawa coming up (yes, I know what people say about Ottawa, but I would like to visit it) - one night at the Westin, one night at the Andaz - for the third night, I'm currently booked at the Marriott. Is that the right choice between the Delta, Marriott, and Sheraton? I want something clean, comfortable, and with a decent breakfast.

There is an old thread comparing the Sheraton and Westin, but my question is more broad than that - moderators, feel free to merge, but please retitle to something more broad for all Ottawa hotels: Sheraton Ottawa or Westin Ottawa - 2004 on [Master Thread]

Last edited by ElevatorEnthusiast; Sep 18, 2023 at 6:40 am
Old Sep 18, 2023, 6:34 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
ElevatorEnthusiast, you said you had a more broad question. What is/was your question?
Old Sep 18, 2023, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
ElevatorEnthusiast, you said you had a more broad question. What is/was your question?
Apologies, I had moved my original first paragraph to be the second - my question is which is preferred between the Marriott, Delta, and Sheraton?
Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
I have stayed in all three. The Delta and Marriott are literally a block apart. I first stayed at the Marriott on my honeymoon many, many years ago when the rotating rooftop restaurant still rotated. It was the first hotel I'd experienced with heated floors in the bathroom and was formerly a Holiday Inn - believe it or not. Most of my stays were for work and none left a great impression in more recent years. The Sheraton is probably best of the three for location if walking. Lounges are hit or miss at all, if open during your stay. As you have already ascertained, the Westin is the best Bonvoy option if the budget allows.

There are a couple of other posters here with solid local knowledge. I've only been once since Covid and stayed at the Westin. The Sheraton was undergoing renovations, although still may be an option if the lounge is open. Some reports suggest the Delta discontinued their lounge. Check these threads:
Sheraton Ottawa construction/restaurant closings?
Delta Ottawa - No Breakfast/Lounge
Originally Posted by flyme2
The Ottawa Marriott Hotel[1] (formerly a Holiday Inn, then a Radisson Hotel) is a hotel located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, on the north-west corner of the intersection of Queen Street and Kent Street. It was built by Campeau Corporation as part of the second phase of the Place de Ville complex. Upon its construction in 1971, it was the tallest building in Ottawa, but the title was short-lived when the neighboring Tower C was completed in 1972. As of 2013 it was the sixth tallest in Ottawa and eighth in the National Capital Region.
The Radisson then moved a few blocks over to 402 Queen St. and has since disappeared from the Ottawa market. Coincidentally, that property is now a Holiday Inn.
ElevatorEnthusiast and yscleo like this.

Last edited by yyzflyer; Sep 19, 2023 at 7:44 am Reason: Supplemental point
Old Sep 19, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I know your habit is 1 hotel per night, but in Ottawa I do not consider anything other than the Westin.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Any opinions on the Courtyards or suburban properties? Staying in Ottawa one night on a road trip and I don‘t mind staying in a suburban property or the Four Points Gattineau as long as they‘re recently renovated. The Courtyard East would fir my bill but it looks like they stil have the 2008 red african color theme…
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I know your habit is 1 hotel per night, but in Ottawa I do not consider anything other than the Westin.
I like the Westin there too, but I often choose the Sheraton because of the club lounge.
yyzflyer and yscleo like this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 7:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by Muerz
Any opinions on the Courtyards or suburban properties? Staying in Ottawa one night on a road trip and I don‘t mind staying in a suburban property or the Four Points Gattineau as long as they‘re recently renovated. The Courtyard East would fir my bill but it looks like they stil have the 2008 red african color theme…
If your trip involves train travel, the Courtyard East is within walking distance of the main Ottawa station. Their elite recognition is better than most Courtyards. I have not stayed at the 4P in Gatineau but know people who have and they were not impressed. If you're going that far, and don't care about Bonvoy, the Hilton at Lac Leamy is an excellent property.
yscleo likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Muerz
the Courtyard Downtown I usually stay at because it’s easy walking to the Byward Market which are pubs and such. Especially in warmer weather it was nice to be there. Live music many nights

also easy walk to parliament buildings which is just a pleasant neighborhood to stroll

underground heated parking is a bonus in winter

I used the 4P once a decade ago and wouldn’t go back by choice without investigating whether it’s been refreshed.

Mike
yscleo likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
I’m in a Bonvoy in Ottawa two nights a week so have far more experience than I would like! Courtyard East has good elite recognition, underground parking and close to the train (walk over the bridge) but poor elite breakfast benefits (coupons don’t even cover the buffet). Westin has a best elite breakfast in the city hands down (full buffet, eggs Benedict etc), nicer rooms with the best view in the city but no lounge and a very odd smell to the rooms (though maybe that is just me), and parking is painfully expensive. Marriot has older rooms, but a nice lounge with evening hors d’œuvres, soft drinks, solid breakfast and the most pleasant staff around. Courtyard downtown I find to be bare bones and only has location going for it. 4P Gatineau is not a pleasant place in my experience. Staff are generally morose and the whole place feels rundown. Airport Fairfield is actually a remarkably nice place. Huge rooms, shuttle to the airport, friendly staff, new large rooms and free (outdoor) parking. Delta hasn’t been in my rotation unfortunately (though actually staying there this week for a change). Sheraton has a nice lounge and elites get a drink coupon for the bar, but the rooms are a bit tired. Caveat - I’m a titanium member, so take that into account vis a vis elite benefits/recognition. Only place that ever gave me a hard time about a 4pm checkout in 2.5 years was the 4P. For those with EVs - Westin, Fairfield and Courtyard east all have chargers. 4P is supposed to but they were roped off last time I went. If any of the others do, I haven’t found them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.