Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Malpensa (MXP) Airport, Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Malpensa (MXP) Airport, Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB
Arrow Sheraton Malpensa (MXP) Airport, Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Originally Posted by Tak
Anyone have recent experience with this hotel?
What do you think of Room/lounge/services and platinum recognition?
I stayed at this hotel for one night early April after flying into MXP. Seeing that my flight was delayed by over an hour, it was nice to be able to walk from the plane to the hotel (even though the hotel wasn't all that easy to find).

From a service perspective, I found check-in to be slow and not guest oriented, with the receptionist predominantly staring at his keyboard and screen, not attempting to communicate with me at all. A security deposit of 30% of the room rate is required at check-in (on top of the room rate); however, the receptionist did not inform me of this, he merely charged me 130% of my room rate. Only after pointing out that this amount was excessive did he inform me of the security deposit. Poor service if you ask me...

Upgraded to a junior suite without having to ask. Choose a bottle of white wine as a platinum welcome gift, which was swiftly delivered to the room, including various chocolates. The wine was the best wine I have received as a Starwood welcome gift so far and the accompanying chocolates were a very nice extra.

The rooms are spacious and the junior suite sported a kitchenette (which was either too small or too full), seating area, two large beds, two large flat screens and a luxurious bathroom. The main drawback is that the hotel appears to have been finished in a hurry, leading to electrical plugs not being thoroughly connected to the wall (and thus popping out), some scratch marks on the walls etcetera. Plus, the bathroom design makes it impossible to take a shower without flooding the entire bathroom. Not an issue for a one night stay, but it would become highly frustrated after a few nights.

Largest problem with the hotel is it's design. Not only is it vast (it can be quite a walk from one end to the other), it has floor to ceiling walls which are admittedly beautiful, but not quite practical in Italy. At 10pm in early April my room had a temperature of 27 degrees Celsius, with the AC unit only being able to cool down the room by about 3 degrees Celsius. When contacting front desk about this issue, the receptionist showed me three alternative rooms and was most apologetic; quite the contrast to the disappointing check-in procedure. I was then moved to a room with a temperature of 24 degrees Celsius; the coolest room still available that night. I can imagine this being quite the problem in summer.

The lounge was good, but very warm as well. There was no lounge attendant and I witnessed several guests entering the lounge as someone else was exiting; not quite sure if they were allowed to enter. Other than that, breakfast in the lounge was a pleasurable experience.

The spa looked absolutely excellent, with several types of showers, a steam room and a sauna available. The swimming pool was small but adequate. It is completely indoor though; the photo on the hotel's website is not the swimming pool but an outdoor water feature not accessible by guests.

Check-out was even more disappointing than check-in; there were three receptionists and four parties wanting to either check-in or check-out, and I actually walked out of the hotel after waiting for well over ten minutes for someone to check me out. The concierge respectfully asked me to wait for the receptionist to check me out, but after my response that my time could be spent far more enjoyably, he wished me a pleasant day.

Despite fearing that there would be issues with the security deposit because I did not check out, it was released the same day.

Summarized: Not a hotel I would recommend for a weekend / extended stay, but very worth your while when arriving at MXP in the evening. Good value for money, modern and good amenities.
Old May 27, 2011, 4:20 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Thanks, FrankC6

I will stay the last two days of Italy trip since I am leaving from MXP in early morning.
This hotel is located well to go sightseeing around lake area and mountains, and seems to be much cheaper than Westin Palace in central Milan (100Euro vs 240Euro with breakfast).
Old May 28, 2011, 3:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I agree with FrankC6 report. I have been staying here three times this month and do like the hotel. Food and service in the restaurant is actually very bad and overly expensive for Italian standards. After dining there the first time I now just opt to have some dinner in the bar. Service in the bar is also not very fast but the dinner you can have there is decent though way to much for a normal person to eat (real American portions).

The comments about the bathroom flooding when using the shower in one of the suites is also true... real Italian design
The hotel is indeed HUGE, everything of it is big, vast spaces, enormous lobby huge corridors. You can see it is designed to be very busy but the times I was there it was normally quite empty. From sitting in the bar you can tell the a lot of the guests are indeed American.

The club lounge is quite nice as well with an OK breakfast. In the evening they have a wide selection of beers with also my favorite Italian beer Menabrea.

I have made some photos of the rooms I got, one a club room and a "jr suite".

Club Room

Jr Suite

Last edited by thomas199023; May 28, 2011 at 3:46 am
Old May 28, 2011, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by thomas199023
I agree with FrankC6 report. I have been staying here three times this month and do like the hotel. Food and service in the restaurant is actually very bad and overly expensive for Italian standards. After dining there the first time I now just opt to have some dinner in the bar. Service in the bar is also not very fast but the dinner you can have there is decent though way to much for a normal person to eat (real American portions).

The comments about the bathroom flooding when using the shower in one of the suites is also true... real Italian design
The hotel is indeed HUGE, everything of it is big, vast spaces, enormous lobby huge corridors. You can see it is designed to be very busy but the times I was there it was normally quite empty. From sitting in the bar you can tell the a lot of the guests are indeed American.

The club lounge is quite nice as well with an OK breakfast. In the evening they have a wide selection of beers with also my favorite Italian beer Menabrea.

I have made some photos of the rooms I got, one a club room and a "jr suite".

Club Room

Jr Suite

The jr suite I stayed in had a separate sitting area with its own TV. It was not divided by a wall just a space next to the "bedroom" with its wet bar and sofa with TV. Kind of strange. The food sucks, for any standards not just italian, the fact that they are in my hometown is quite disappointing frankly. The ought to be held at a higher standard than the crap we got on room service, truly bad. The shower did flood also but its ok because I wasn't the soul that cleaned the mess.
Old May 28, 2011, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by Tak
Thanks, FrankC6

I will stay the last two days of Italy trip since I am leaving from MXP in early morning.
This hotel is located well to go sightseeing around lake area and mountains, and seems to be much cheaper than Westin Palace in central Milan (100Euro vs 240Euro with breakfast).
Fyi, I got an email saying rates are Eur86 and if you stay 2 days you get a 20% IIRC. http://www.eame.specials.starwoodhot...mmer11_EN_EAME
Old May 28, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: AA DL BA UA FAIRMONT SPG HILTON MARRIOTT HYATT
Originally Posted by Tak
I was able to stay 3 nights at the Westin Palace in late March for 80 USD plus tax through Priceline.

I also stayed 4 times at the Malpensa Sheraton using SPG award points. All 4 times the last day of my trip. It's just so convenient. Ask for a room close to the elevator. This hotel is huge and you'll quickly find out especially if they give you upgraded rooms with the mountain view. These rooms are way at the end of the building. Good luck
Old May 29, 2011, 12:01 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Thanks, psyflyer & Kewldude21 for your comments and suggestions.

I will check the price one more time.
Old May 29, 2011, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by psyflyer
Fyi, I got an email saying rates are Eur86 and if you stay 2 days you get a 20% IIRC. http://www.eame.specials.starwoodhot...mmer11_EN_EAME
Very good deal for this hotel!

The Westin Milan is visually very appealing, but the main reason I would elect to stay there (if I would at all stay there again) would be to avoid the travel time from MXP into Milan on a sightseeing trip. If your main focus would be on the mountains and surrounding area, I would definitely advice you book the Sheraton Malpensa for a mere 86 euros per night. Excellent value for money in that case!
Old May 29, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
We arrived here for a short overnight for our flight home after 12 nights throughout Italy. There seems to be some complaints about the food. The food might not be that great, but I was happy that they had a cheap 8 euro margherita pizza on the menu because I wasn't in any mood to overspend on dinner and it was too late to explore if anything else was open for dinner. We ate in the restaurant though, not room service.

The entrance to this hotel is literally next to the entrances to the trains to central Milan and across the way from the office where you buy train tickets. We walked in circles twice before finally noticing it.

I don't recall if our bathrooms flooded but I was so exhausted, I didn't care. The best thing about this hotel is the convenience of rolling out of bed and over to your gate.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:24 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Should we open a master thread now?

FLOORS

Ground Floor:

Reception
Lobby
Link@Sheraton
Terminal 1

First Floor:

Rooms from 1014 to 1187
Meeting Rooms
Restaurant " Il Canneto "
Wine Bar
Lounge Bar " Monterosa "
Link@Sheraton
Shine SPA
Fitness Center

Second Floor:

Rooms From 2001 to 2203
Crew Lounge " Constellation "

Third Floor:

Rooms from 3001 to 3203
Club Lounge

Club Lounge

( Solo il meglio / ONLY THE BEST )

MON - FRI

DALLE 06:00 ALLE 22:00
06:00 AM TO 10:00 PM

SAT - SUN

DALLE 06:00 ALLE 19:00
06:00 AM TO 07:00 PM

BREAKFAST

DALLE 06:00 ALLE 12:00
06:00 AM TO 12:00 AM

FINGER LUNCH ( no service )

DALLE 12 ALLE 14:00
12:00 AM TO 02:00 PM

TEA TIME ( no service )

DALLE 14:00 ALLE 18:00
02:00 PM TO 06:00 PM

FINGER DINNER ( no service )

DALLE 18:00 ALLE 20:00
06:00 PM TO 08:00 PM

DRY SNACK ( no service )

DALLE 20:00 ALLE 22:00
08:00 PM TO 10:00 PM

All day long:

Two ( small ) fridges with 4 types of bottled beer ( the smaller one ) and soft drinks ( the less smaller one ) different juices, Fanta, Sprite and three types of Coca Cola.

One big bottle of PERRIER, PANNA and SAN PELLEGRINO

Coffee machine ( Nescafe ): Espresso, American Coffee, Cappuccino, Hot Milk, Hot Water and Cacao.

In the evening:

Two bottles of white wine ( same type ), two bottles of sparkling wine ( same type ) and two bottles of red wine ( different types, one Chianti and one other ). If empty, then empty...

Parking:

There is a new " solution ": 30 % off if you show your sheraton bill at the parking in front of the hotel.

Last edited by Forstbetrieb; Jul 11, 2011 at 4:33 am Reason: I add and add and add...
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM
Great Asset at MXP

Stayed there in June. This place is amazing if you have a morning flight... the convenience alone is worth choosing this hotel. I returned my Hertz car at the Hertz car return and entered the terminal. Took a right turn and there was the Sheraton. Awesome! Brand new, modern, wide open design. Check-in was easy.

The restaurant... very understaffed during my dinner.. so VERY slow service. Food was VERY expensive for what it was... the presentation and quality was fine. The Club was not well looked after, so food/drink was pretty much gone when I looked in there and not replenished.

The room was great... modern, clean and not far from elevator. The hallway does seem to go on forever.

Even with it's drawbacks this is still where I will look to stay the night before any flight out of MXP. I loved it!!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by WineAGcom
Stayed there in June. This place is amazing if you have a morning flight... the convenience alone is worth choosing this hotel. I returned my Hertz car at the Hertz car return and entered the terminal. Took a right turn and there was the Sheraton.
About Hertz car return: On the way toward MXP. Is it well signaged to Hertz?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb

There is a new " solution ": 30 % off if you show your sheraton bill at the parking in front of the hotel.
Thanks for the detailed description of the hotel. Very helpful.

How much is parking per day and where is the lot located?

Last edited by allset2travel; Sep 15, 2011 at 12:29 pm Reason: sp
Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Stayed here courtesy of AA after a cancelled flight and got a very nice room (king size bed) that seemed to be a 10 minute walk from the escalator/elevator. As previously noted incredibly convenient for early morning departures (my flight was rescheduled for 830 AM and hence I was supposed to be in the terminal at 630). Food (served to stranded flyers in a buffet) was some of the worst I have eaten in Italy (where I spend roughly 2 months per year).

If you have an early flight leaving Italy it would make sense to have a nice dinner in Milan (or elsewhere) and then stay here.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by allset2travel
How much is parking per day
€30 a day....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.