Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Old May 30, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...g-service-2621
Print Wikipost

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Old Dec 25, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Staying here now for a one night stop on my honeymoon. The room is marvelous, location is charming, and restaurant is adequate. Wish we had one more night here.

As a plat, was upgraded to a king room from a twin. The room is ludicrously big for Japan, but has no onsen and is not a suite unlike some other posters.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:04 am

I made a last-minute booking for one night this Friday on a very competitive rate (40k JPY incl. tax/service). Sent an e-mail to request a room with a private onsen, so we will see what they come up with.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:59 pm

Has anyone stayed here with kids? I'm curious about their policy on occupancy regarding children, and will be traveling with five other adults and four little ones and I want to specifically stay in the futon room.

I had AMEX Platinum Concierge speak with them, but, unless the hotel staff misunderstood the woman, she was given a typical Japanese run-around answer to my question ("We don't have a room that holds six adults [oh... but they do, according to the website] but if you want, we can arrange you three [Western-style bed] rooms for the night at $2000/room, including breakfast."

I'll probably just give them a call myself and speak with them in Japanese about the specific room and their policy regarding children, but I figured AMEX might have been able to get a little more leeway out of them than I could.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by Habbit
Has anyone stayed here with kids? I'm curious about their policy on occupancy regarding children, and will be traveling with five other adults and four little ones and I want to specifically stay in the futon room.

I had AMEX Platinum Concierge speak with them, but, unless the hotel staff misunderstood the woman, she was given a typical Japanese run-around answer to my question ("We don't have a room that holds six adults [oh... but they do, according to the website] but if you want, we can arrange you three [Western-style bed] rooms for the night at $2000/room, including breakfast."

I'll probably just give them a call myself and speak with them in Japanese about the specific room and their policy regarding children, but I figured AMEX might have been able to get a little more leeway out of them than I could.
Stayed here in February. 2 adults and 2 children in elementary school age. Somewhere on their Japanese site you will find the notice that children elementary school age or younger stay for free in shared bedding with parents. We were quoted JPY 8,316 per extra bed or futon incl. charges and taxes but managed without.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE

I thought Japanese hotels charged by the person instead of by the room? I have only been to Japan twice, though, so maybe you know something I do not.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by shonanroger
Stayed here in February. 2 adults and 2 children in elementary school age. Somewhere on their Japanese site you will find the notice that children elementary school age or younger stay for free in shared bedding with parents. We were quoted JPY 8,316 per extra bed or futon incl. charges and taxes but managed without.
I did see that, that's why I have half a mind to just book the room with six adults and show up with the kids (all but one are preschool age, he's ten) and tell them to deal. Lol

You were in the 京月琴 room?

I would like for my uncle, aunt, cousins, and girlfriend, who I will be showing around Japan to experience the atmosphere of a Japanese-style inn, but I'm already certain they would not do well in a more authentic, rural area inn, which is why this SPG property (the futon room specifically) appeals to me.

Originally Posted by ralphs
I thought Japanese hotels charged by the person instead of by the room? I have only been to Japan twice, though, so maybe you know something I do not.
The rate quoted included six adults plus breakfast for each, sorry for leaving out those details.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
I did see that, that's why I have half a mind to just book the room with six adults and show up with the kids (all but one are preschool age, he's ten) and tell them to deal. Lol

You were in the 京月琴 room?

I would like for my uncle, aunt, cousins, and girlfriend, who I will be showing around Japan to experience the atmosphere of a Japanese-style inn, but I'm already certain they would not do well in a more authentic, rural area inn, which is why this SPG property (the futon room specifically) appeals to me.
No we stayed in 柚葉. One of those with the private rotenburo.
Should be no problem just to arrive without telling them in advance about the number of children, but for us it worked out fine telling them beforehand how many persons were included in our party, while pointing out to their bedding policy. And it's not only bedding and meals. If they know in advance how many children, which age and which gender, they will prepare sleeping ware (寝巻き), toothbrushes and other small items in advance.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:24 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Is there a list of must-see temples and restaurants in Kyoto...and perhaps a list of less-visited but surprisingly wonderful temples and restaurants to also consider? We will have a total of 7 nights in town (5 at Suiran and 2 at the RC).

We are major foodies. And we also love exploring temples and beautiful grounds/gardens. Thanks for any recommendations!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:27 pm

I preferred the food in Osaka, if you are spending any time there. If not then maybe go there for a day trip.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:41 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I preferred the food in Osaka, if you are spending any time there. If not then maybe go there for a day trip.
We have 3 nights at the StR Osaka after Kyoto.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Pick up the Kyoto Michelin guide and you will be in excellent hands
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by remymartin
Pick up the Kyoto Michelin guide and you will be in excellent hands
Obviously those are great options. Yet we don't want to only hit Michelin restaurants. It's always nice for us to have a more casual or simple meal or two between fancier options.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Obviously those are great options. Yet we don't want to only hit Michelin restaurants. It's always nice for us to have a more casual or simple meal or two between fancier options.
But the Asian city guides are great just because of that. You have a vast selection of different quality and comfortability restaurant options. In fact the book made a world of difference between Tokyo and Kyoto visits on a trip years ago - the Tokyo guide had just come out and the Kyoto guide came out a year later. While Kyoto is considered a foodie paradise, without the book and as a first time visitor to Japan (which I'm sure you're not) it was impossible to find a memorable restaurant. Tokyo, on the other, was epic from start to finish much because of the guide.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
There is a small tofu restaurant walking distance from Suiran, just a little bit west. Reservations are required. When we went there last December, we were turned away at the door due to lack of reservations. I would recommend asking Suiran's concierge to help you with this. https://tabelog.com/en/kyoto/A2601/A260403/26003826/
Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:31 pm
Suspended

There is a small tofu restaurant walking distance from Suiran, just a little bit west. Reservations are required. When we went there last December, we were turned away at the door due to lack of reservations. I would recommend asking Suiran's concierge to help you with this. https://tabelog.com/en/kyoto/A2601/A260403/26003826/
That one's already on our list...even though tofu terrifies me. YOLO

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.