Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...g-service-2621
Print Wikipost

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by bhrubin

+1000

We loved Suiran so much even after our 5 nights in May; it blew us away. We also had 2 nights afterward at the also quite amazing Ritz-Carlton Kyoto, but we still preferred the intimacy, the hybrid ryokan-hotel authenticity, and Arashiyama location of Suiran.

I’m already salivating at the prospect of getting back sometime in the coming years.
They HAVE to keep the aspirational properties attainable.

Also, Boruta was just incredible.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:11 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CLEguy

They HAVE to keep the aspirational properties attainable.

Also, Boruta was just incredible.
I‘m so glad you enjoyed Boruta! Now I’m salivating...and we’re about to have steak for dinner to make matters worse.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I‘m so glad you enjoyed Boruta! Now I’m salivating...and we’re about to have steak for dinner to make matters worse.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:14 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We also fell head and heels over Suiran and consider our 8 night stay there one of our top hotel stays ever.

Already trying to figure a time when we can return.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Would someone be so kind as to post or DM me the concierge's email address? I have not been successful in finding it online (perhaps due to the merger as I recall it being more difficult to find Marriott emails than Starwood ones).
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I called this property to book via points as I could not find availability online. Person told me that since they were moving up to category 8 next year they wouldn't let me book with points now.

I said that was not right. She said she would have reservation supervisor get bacl to me. No one ever did. RC did call me though said they were full on dates I wanted.

I won't stay at this hotel unless they fix booking and follow up situation
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I called this property to book via points as I could not find availability online. Person told me that since they were moving up to category 8 next year they wouldn't let me book with points now.

I said that was not right. She said she would have reservation supervisor get bacl to me. No one ever did. RC did call me though said they were full on dates I wanted.

I won't stay at this hotel unless they fix booking and follow up situation
Do you see a "Moderate" room available on cash but not points? I believe that is the only way they would book you with points through the phone otherwise they would be giving you a "Superior" room for the price of a "Moderate".

I'm waiting for something to open up myself (last week of February) but so far nothing. There is one date available on the previous week and then another one in March but nothing on the days I'm interested.
tonywush likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pauq
Do you see a "Moderate" room available on cash but not points? I believe that is the only way they would book you with points through the phone otherwise they would be giving you a "Superior" room for the price of a "Moderate".

I'm waiting for something to open up myself (last week of February) but so far nothing. There is one date available on the previous week and then another one in March but nothing on the days I'm interested.
I have been having all kinds of problems seeing anything at all -- even paid reservations. Suiran does not show up at all on my SPG app. It does on chrome browser on my mac. I was not able to find any availability via points for months (but website did say if you can't find on website to call property directly).

Thus I called. SHe said that the hotel directly was unable to book on points, only cash, and that because they were going up to category 8 next year that there was nothing they could do. I was not happy as there has to be some openings if standard rooms are available and they cant block off point redemptions forever.

She then apologized and said she misspoke. I think she was trying to push me away frankly. I said there are no nights available for months. She said there was for Jan 7. I checked and there was indeed 1 night open for Jan 7 and only Jan 7. I wonder if they put that there to prove to HQ that they were offering redemptions at probably the lowest occupancy time.

Anyway, she said she would have reservation mgr call me back right away to figure things out when they open. They never did. The RC on other hand is showing lots of availability (just not on nights I want but others here have posted they got those nights on points so RC is not gaming system like I believe Suiran is). RC told me plats get breakfast.

For me, I will go to RC now next time to Kyoto.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I have been having all kinds of problems seeing anything at all -- even paid reservations. Suiran does not show up at all on my SPG app. It does on chrome browser on my mac. I was not able to find any availability via points for months (but website did say if you can't find on website to call property directly).

Thus I called. SHe said that the hotel directly was unable to book on points, only cash, and that because they were going up to category 8 next year that there was nothing they could do. I was not happy as there has to be some openings if standard rooms are available and they cant block off point redemptions forever.

She then apologized and said she misspoke. I think she was trying to push me away frankly. I said there are no nights available for months. She said there was for Jan 7. I checked and there was indeed 1 night open for Jan 7 and only Jan 7. I wonder if they put that there to prove to HQ that they were offering redemptions at probably the lowest occupancy time.

Anyway, she said she would have reservation mgr call me back right away to figure things out when they open. They never did. The RC on other hand is showing lots of availability (just not on nights I want but others here have posted they got those nights on points so RC is not gaming system like I believe Suiran is). RC told me plats get breakfast.

For me, I will go to RC now next time to Kyoto.
Given the level of service at this property I would be shocked if she was really trying to push you off. Language could well be an issue.

Additionally, there are only 3 or so standard rooms that are available for the lowest redemption, so it’s no surprise that there is little to no availability. I don’t think this is an issue of the property playing games, either, as it’s really really small.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:03 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I can confirm that my son and his wife were just able to book 5 nights on points for next September. Their first choice of dates was not available so they switched to the dates that were. Luckily they were flexible. They have been wanting to visit this lovely hotel ever since our magical 2016 visit.
CLEguy and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:01 am

I called as well, willing to book at a higher points rate for a higher level room that they did have available. I didn't even get as far as checking dates - simply told to go talk to regular reservations (which I also did before calling direct).

I'm going doing a peak time, so, cash rate it is for us.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:25 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by tearex
I called as well, willing to book at a higher points rate for a higher level room that they did have available. I didn't even get as far as checking dates - simply told to go talk to regular reservations (which I also did before calling direct).

I'm going doing a peak time, so, cash rate it is for us.

This is a hotel where I would be willing to pay cash. We lucked out on a complementary upgrade our first trip, but as they say, lightning doesn’t (typically) strike twice.

You won’t regret a stay here. It ranks in our top 3 hotel visits ever.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by damon88
This is a hotel where I would be willing to pay cash. We lucked out on a complementary upgrade our first trip, but as they say, lightning doesn’t (typically) strike twice.

You won’t regret a stay here. It ranks in our top 3 hotel visits ever.
It is a good thing I booked when I did (yesterday), as I checked again today and it's sold out.

Very excited to visit.
damon88, CLEguy and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:50 am

It is a good thing I booked when I did (yesterday), as I checked again today and it's sold out.

Very excited to visit.
You will love it.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:25 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

Very excited to visit.
Good for you!

Let me echo everyone else here and reiterate: you’re going to love Suiran.

Even as much as we loved our 2 night stay at the RC Kyoto (and were upgraded on an award stay to its 3rd best suite!), we absolutely are dying to return first and foremost to Suiran. Our 5 night stay was just so amazing...and we don’t normally stay anywhere for 5 nights, let alone return. Suiran is part of that equation, but so is Arashiyama and its much more tranquil and relaxed suburban/smaller town vibe—and with fewer tourists, especially at night. Also, our love for Kyoto and its unending supply of beautiful temples, shrines, and gardens to discover and explore.

If you can splurge, make sure to eat steaks at Boruta. If you really can splurge, the 3* Kitcho restaurant is literally down the block from Suiran—it’s insanely expensive but also the ultimate in Japanese Kaiseki dining. (And for a much cheaper and more casual version that’s still 3*, try Wa Yamamura in Nara...for only $56 per person.)
tearex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.