Go Back   > > >

Old Sep 12, 17, 2:08 pm   #151
SPG 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Plat, SPG Plat100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by remymartin View Post
Pick up the Kyoto Michelin guide and you will be in excellent hands
Obviously those are great options. Yet we don't want to only hit Michelin restaurants. It's always nice for us to have a more casual or simple meal or two between fancier options.
bhrubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 2:24 pm   #152

Programs: SPG P & anti-MR lifetime LeClub/IHG/NCHP HHDia WoHE CCG, BA/A3 G AA Plt, vihrešn magian kortti
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Obviously those are great options. Yet we don't want to only hit Michelin restaurants. It's always nice for us to have a more casual or simple meal or two between fancier options.
But the Asian city guides are great just because of that. You have a vast selection of different quality and comfortability restaurant options. In fact the book made a world of difference between Tokyo and Kyoto visits on a trip years ago - the Tokyo guide had just come out and the Kyoto guide came out a year later. While Kyoto is considered a foodie paradise, without the book and as a first time visitor to Japan (which I'm sure you're not) it was impossible to find a memorable restaurant. Tokyo, on the other, was epic from start to finish much because of the guide.
remymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 4:24 pm   #153

Programs: AA Plat, B6 Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat, UA Silver
Quote:
There is a small tofu restaurant walking distance from Suiran, just a little bit west. Reservations are required. When we went there last December, we were turned away at the door due to lack of reservations. I would recommend asking Suiran's concierge to help you with this. https://tabelog.com/en/kyoto/A2601/A260403/26003826/
ralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 4:31 pm   #154
Aman Contributor BadgeSPG 25+ Badge

Programs: UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Plat, SPG Plat100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphs View Post
There is a small tofu restaurant walking distance from Suiran, just a little bit west. Reservations are required. When we went there last December, we were turned away at the door due to lack of reservations. I would recommend asking Suiran's concierge to help you with this. https://tabelog.com/en/kyoto/A2601/A260403/26003826/
That one's already on our list...even though tofu terrifies me. YOLO

Thanks!
bhrubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 5:47 pm   #155
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Quote:
That one's already on our list...even though tofu terrifies me. YOLO

Thanks!
I love the tofu skins with wasabi. YUM!
Aventine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 7:20 pm   #156

Programs: UA 1K, WN A-List Pref & CP, AS MVPG, SPG P100, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Had some of the best steak I've ever had at Otsuka, which is close to the Suiran.
bhrubin likes this.
Duke777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:59 pm   #157

If anyone likes Star Wars and wants to see the temple on the 10 yen coin! It's not in Kyoto proper though but Uji (very close by).

Star Wars folding screen at the Byodo-in
Old Sep 14, 17, 1:58 am   #158

Quote:
Marbled wagyu steak with a glass of red served in an open Kyoto kitchen . Very quaint butcher shop transformed into a restaurant. Kyoto classy enough but not stifling like some of those 3* places.

Hafuu Honten

http://hafuu.com/sm_en/
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 14, 17, 6:26 am   #159

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If you are into beef, I highly recommend Miyoshi. They serve amazing beef omakase dinner over here. Whenever I hit kyoto, I will always try to get a reservation here.

https://s.tabelog.com/en/kyoto/A2601/A260301/26002222/

I like Hachikian for Oyako Don, simple comfort food. They have a branch in Takashimaya.
bhrubin likes this.
shevboyz is online now   Reply With Quote