Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] SPG + Uber Partnership - Earn Starpoints with Uber Rides - ENDED 17 DEC 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
Promo Landing Page: https://www.spg.com/uber
SPG + Uber FAQ: https://www.spgpromos.com/uber/?acti...M=UberLink_DEF
SPG + Uber T&Cs: https://www.spgpromos.com/uber/?acti...M=UberLink_DEF

UPDATE: October 26, 2017
Effective December 17, 2017 the SPG partnership with Uber will come to an end.

Members who have met all of the requirements to earn Starpoints in accordance with the SPG-Uber benefits program, including, without limitation, having a Stay posted to their SPG Member account for the current calendar year will continue to earn Starpoints on Uber rides up until 11:59PM on December 17, 2017.

If the stay overlaps with the program end date, you will still earn 2 starpoints per USD 1 spent on Uber rides taken during your stay. Any rides taken after 11:59 on December 17, 2017 even if taken during a stay that originated on or before December 17, 2014 will not earn starpoints on that uber ride.

Frequently Asked Questions

When will members stop earning Starpoints on their Uber rides?
Members who have met all of the requirements to earn Starpoints in accordance with the SPG-Uber benefits program, including, without limitation, having a Stay posted to their SPG Member account for the current calendar year will continue to earn Starpoints on Uber rides up until 11:59PM on December 17, 2017, subject to applicable limits.

If members have a stay that overlaps with the program end date, will they still earn 2 Starpoints per US$1 spent on Uber rides taken during the stay?
Yes, members who check-in for a Stay prior to 11:59PM on December 17, 2017 and have an Uber pick-up time prior to 11:59PM on December 17, 2017, subject to applicable limits, will earn 2 Starpoints for every U.S. dollar or its foreign equivalent denomination spent for fares on the Uber ride(s). Any rides taken after 11:59PM on December 17, 2017, even if taken during a stay that originated on or prior to December 17, 2017, will not earn Starpoints on the Uber ride(s). To earn Starpoints for any Uber ride the member must have met all of the requirements to earn Starpoints in accordance with the SPG-Uber benefits program, including, without limitation, having a Stay posted to their SPG Member account for the current calendar year.

Why did I recently have a delay in my Starpoints posting for my Uber rides?
An issue was identified affecting Uber rides over the last month that delayed the posting of points to member accounts. We have since fixed this issue and members should receive all ride credits within the stated 2-4 week period.

UPDATE: January 18, 2017
Uber Partnership Update
  • During Hotel stay: Members will earn two Starpoints per US$1 spent with Uber (versus two, three or four Starpoints per US$1, depending on member tier).
  • Everyday: members will earn one Starpoint per US$2 spent with Uber (versus one Starpoint per US$1).

With your SPG and Uber accounts linked and you have met a requirement of ONE qualifying stay in the current calendar year, SPG members will earn 1 point per dollar spent with Uber on every day rides. For rides during stays, SPG members will earn 2 points per dollar spent on Uber (Preferred), 3 points per (Gold or Platinum), or 4 points per (Plat75).

There is a maximum of $10,000 in points-earning spend with Uber per calendar year. This means that you could have up to 40,000 SPG points with this promotion (if you were a Plat75 and only used Uber while on SPG stays and maxed out $10,000 in Uber services).

Bangkok - Charged in local currency THB.
Beijing - Charged in USD.
Delhi - Charged in local currency INR.
Guangzhou - Charged in USD.
Ho Chi Minh City - Charged in local currency VND.
Hong Kong - Charged in local currency HKD.
London - Charged in local currency GBP (American Express)
Hyderabad - Charged in local currency INR.
Kolkata - Charged in local currency INR.
Kuala Lumpur - Charged in local currency MYR.
Mumbai - Charged in local currency INR.
Penang - Charged in local currency MYR.
Seoul - Charged in local currency KRW.
Santiago de Chile - Charged in local currency CLP when using MC, charged in USD when using Amex.
Shanghai - Charged in USD.
Singapore - Charged in local currency SGD.
Taipei - Charged in local currency TWD.
Tokyo - Charged in local currency JPY.
Toronto - Charged in local currency CAD.
UAE - Charged in local currency AED
Print Wikipost

[GONE] SPG + Uber Partnership - Earn Starpoints with Uber Rides - ENDED 17 DEC 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Yes, got an email overnight from SPG announcing the end of the partnership. The same night my last rides in Bangkok posted.

I use Didi in China now for most of my rides but when I go elsewhere in Asia I've been loyal to Uber to get the points. However it has been increasingly obvious that Grab has been gaining ground and popularity with drivers. I'll take this opportunity to switch my rides from Uber to Grab.

It will be really interesting to see if dropping the SPG partnership will have an actual affect on Uber's businesses in Asia. I can't be the only one who stuck with them purely because of the SPG points.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by remymartin
Indeed. But then, most things seem "domestic".

Thanks, MaRiot
I suspect this may have been Uber rather than Marriott. I assume Uber was paying SPG for the points so SPG would have been perfectly happy to continue the relationship.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Yes, got an email overnight from SPG announcing the end of the partnership. The same night my last rides in Bangkok posted.

I use Didi in China now for most of my rides but when I go elsewhere in Asia I've been loyal to Uber to get the points. However it has been increasingly obvious that Grab has been gaining ground and popularity with drivers. I'll take this opportunity to switch my rides from Uber to Grab.

It will be really interesting to see if dropping the SPG partnership will have an actual affect on Uber's businesses in Asia. I can't be the only one who stuck with them purely because of the SPG points.
Same.

In Kuala Lumpur, waiting for your driver to arrive seems to be twice as quick when using Grab vs Uber.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Bummer, it was a cool perk!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:55 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Uber is going to make a great business case review for B-School in the future. You'd think with the challenges they are facing, they would want to continue to encourage loyalty. Maybe the combined pool of customers with Marriott is to large for their interests and bank accounts.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Uber is going to make a great business case review for B-School in the future.
Capstone course: two presentations and a paper?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by ckendall
All there now, thanks!
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Did you guys contact research, or did they post of their own accord?

I have not seen my points yet.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I have never used Uber but sad to see this gone as I was maybe going to use it this coming summer quite a bit and this was a big incentive to do so.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by GVA
SPG points were the only thing that kept me using Uber so will use other alternatives from now on.
same here....i preferred uber over the others just because i got spg points....now i'll just use whichever one is cheapest....
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Mainline777
Well guess I'll be switching my rides over to Lyft then. There you at least get 1 DL point per dollar (previously I valued the SPG credit more than the DL miles).
i didn't know that....guess i'll be shifting most of my rides over to lyft now....
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Keyser
i didn't know that....guess i'll be shifting most of my rides over to lyft now....
Yes, and you can also stack it with JetBlue points. With B6 it's only for airport rides (30 B6 points per ride) but a nice way to double dip with the DL miles as well.
Brendan likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, and you can also stack it with JetBlue points. With B6 it's only for airport rides (30 B6 points per ride) but a nice way to double dip with the DL miles as well.
good to know....
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:08 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
AMEX Platinum gives 2 MR points per dollar with Uber.
Not all Amex Plats, the Canadian version certainly doesn't.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Just remember that Lyft Line (shared) rides are specifically exempt from Jet Blue earning.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I found all my missing points from Uber rides in my account at 6 PM EDT yesterday--automatically, without e-mailing . Thank you, William (Lurker) for answering my Post #667 of yesterday morning.
PLUS: I just now got my 10 SPG points for last night's Uber rides ! All is well--hope it stays so until Dec. 17 when Scrooge & the Grinch bring this program to an end. Gee, couldn't Uber have waited until New Year's Eve to terminate?
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by Brendan; Oct 27, 2017 at 10:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.