Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:40 am
Original Poster

SPG in Chicago

I'm trying to decide between the Westin Michigan Avenue and the W Lakeshore.

Does anyone have experience at both of these? I'm planning on staying at one of the two on the night I get engaged...do I have a better chance of getting upgraded in one over the other? (I'm an SPG member but don't have any status, though my future fiance is an SPG Amex holder)
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by gilcresr
I'm trying to decide between the Westin Michigan Avenue and the W Lakeshore.

Does anyone have experience at both of these? I'm planning on staying at one of the two on the night I get engaged...do I have a better chance of getting upgraded in one over the other? (I'm an SPG member but don't have any status, though my future fiance is an SPG Amex holder)
Congratulations in advance!

Unfortunately, being an AmEx card holder won't help at all. My recommendation would be to contact the hotel in advance and let them know the special occasion. If space permits, they *might* help you out with an upgrade or some type of congrats

As for hotels... My experience at the W Lakeshore was prior to their recent renovation. But, based on those prior stays, I do not recommend this hotel. Hopefully others can chime in on how it has since changed (or you can check out the property specific thread). Can't remember my stay at the Westin Michigan Ave, sorry
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AC *E, SPG Plat, Hertz
SPG in Chicago

Westin Michigan avenue is right beside the Hancock Center, good location, but the hotel itself pretty much reminded me of every other Weston I've been in. The W lakeshore is slightly out of the way (relatively) in that there's not a whole lot around there (though a 5 minute walk takes care of that), but the hotel itself is nice enough. Haven't been there since the rebid though.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'd go Westin just because it's right on Michigan Avenue, a bit more in the middle of everything. Closer as well to the El (Red Line).
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'd go Westin just because it's right on Michigan Avenue, a bit more in the middle of everything. Closer as well to the El (Red Line).
Stayed at the westin. I think i used an SNA and I got a great suite (which was like two rooms put together) on the corner facing hancock and michigan ave. It had a murphy bed in the other room making it a full 2 bed 2 bath room.

Like someone else stated, it was just ok...like every other westin. Haven't been to the W lakeshore, but I heard someone say it was nice. I stayed at the W downtown which was pretty cool. Is that out of the question for you?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Kimpton Inner Circle, Hertz PC
I live in Chicago and the W is definitely better. The Westin is on Michigan avenue but it really isn't that nice of a hotel. I would say it is worse and more dated than most other Westins I have been to. The Westin River North is a much nicer hotel than the Westin on Michigan avenue, but it is still a bit dated.

The W has some fresh renovations and it has a nice restaurant and bar, but it is a bit more off the beaten path (.5 miles off of Michigan avenue). But it is right across from the Ohio Street Beach though and has unobstructed views of the lakeshore.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by BluHorseshoe
I live in Chicago and the W is definitely better. The Westin is on Michigan avenue but it really isn't that nice of a hotel. I would say it is worse and more dated than most other Westins I have been to. The Westin River North is a much nicer hotel than the Westin on Michigan avenue, but it is still a bit dated.

The W has some fresh renovations and it has a nice restaurant and bar, but it is a bit more off the beaten path (.5 miles off of Michigan avenue). But it is right across from the Ohio Street Beach though and has unobstructed views of the lakeshore.
First, since we have a master thread for chicago, can this be merged?

Second, I haven't been to the W since it's been remodeled, but the Michigan Ave. Westin, has some of the better service and actually upgrades elite members.

If the W has the same bad service it had when I last visited, I would gladly stay away and book the Westin Michigan Ave. or Westin River North!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
gilcresr, I'd recommend the W Lakeshore over the Westin. At this point, the rooms at the Westin are starting to look pretty tired. The W has just undergone a pretty significant renovation and the refresh is looking nice. Given the special occasion, I think you'd both have a more enjoyable time at the W.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Westin has a great location but otherwise IMO is a place to be avoided. I've stayed here a number of times and now my personal rule is that if a meeting is held at this hotel, I won't attend. I have "fond" memories or waiting in line for more than an hour to check in, lines in the lobby snaking around and making it difficult to walk to/from the elevators, rude and incompetent service, and elevators not working. Maybe the problem is that this property seems to cater to or at least attract tour groups and smaller meetings. Go elsewhere. Friends don't let friends.....
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
W - not even a question

I've been staying at the W Lakeshore regularly since 2004, and was there both during and after completion of the construction in 2014. I've not been to the Westin on Michigan (although if you want to stay on Michigan look at the Omni, which I've found has exceptional customer service and lovely rooms), but compared to the W Lakeshore I don't feel that the Sheraton or even the W City Center come close. The rooms are now very silver/white, and especially if you're facing the lake, bathed in sunlight. Staff are also very friendly, and if you call ahead and speak to the very nice Concierge, I'd expect they will be happy to provide some nice treats for you. Only thing I'm grumpy at is the hotel ended the contract of the company which managed the top-floor bar, so beyond the lobby there's not much nearby to go out.

Congrats in advance, Gil. Let us know if there's anything more you'd like some guidance on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.